carguy

New dual sport helmet with face shield

been wanting to get a new helmet....haven't considered the "dual sport" face shield type of helmet....lots of you guys like them it seems....Are the AFX helmets decent?......I bargain shop for some things, but don't want to skimp on helmets as far as quality goes....????

been wanting to get a new helmet....haven't considered the "dual sport" face shield type of helmet....lots of you guys like them it seems....Are the AFX helmets decent?......I bargain shop for some things, but don't want to skimp on helmets as far as quality goes....????

I tried one on at a moto shop....felt like a heavy cardboard box on my head. You get what you pay for with helmets. I have the Shoei Dualsport Hornet......very comfy :)

2009-Shoei-Hornet-DS-Sonora-Helmet.jpg

Haven't tried the Arai Dualsport helmet.....

From what I hear people either have an Arai head or a Shoei head....I already have a Shoei street helmet so I stuck with Shoei.

One bummer about the shields is they can get hot when moving slow as well as fog up in cold / rainy weather.

Otherwise, I love riding with just sunglasses when the dust is not bad.

Well, sounds like I have an excuse to go shopping and tyring on for sure :party: ....and moto gear is my favorite!....btw I LIKE the black Mike! ..... not sure about the shield yet, (not crazy about my street helmet that has one....)

The funny things with helmets is, you pay more for comfort, not protection. Some of the $60 helmets perform as good or better than the $400 Shoei or Arai. You're good to go with a SNELL or ECE rated helmet. Get what fits and is going to be comfortable, since it will be on your head for a while ;)

The AFX helmet is fine and I rather like 'em.

10AFXFX37MultiLG.gif

That said the faceshield that came on mine was crap. AFX sent me a new one and a tinted version as well which seemed to clear up the vision problems. Distorted views caused me to be almost nausious while riding. Apparantly bad batch of shields at the factory and have been corrected? I do not like goggles and like to wear sunglasses while riding. Problem solved. It will accept goggles too. I purchased at SDBMW for about 150 a few years ago.

AFX d37

You do get what you pay for in head gear.....

S

Being an "old school" guy...I grew up thinking Bell was the gold standard of helmets...and honda was the standard of motorcycles

I still like Hondas ok, but theirdual sport offerings are shameful...

I haven't tried on a Bell helmet I liked in years...I like my HJCs better and they are cheap...

Shoei vs Arai- totally agree...if one fits you, the other probably doesn't...I'm a shoei guy too

Why does it seen like the only helmets I can find the fit my big melon are pink? :huh: I have a funny shaped head, so cheaper helmets actually fit me better. The $500 Shoei is uncomfortable. The $100 HJC fits great. I guess I'll have to get a "Real Men Wear Pink" shirt to ride in and a pink helmet so I look FABULOUS!!! :heh:

I went with the Icon Variant. Icon

IconVarient.jpg

Comfortable for me and very little buffeting at freeway speeds. I also like the Arai, the Shoei wasn’t as comfortable for me. I have a couple of friends that toured the US on DRZs. They wore Arai XD3s with goggles the entire time. The face shield fit over the goggles with no problems.

Whats the deal, are Bells like Hondas around here?

I love my Bell Moto7 helmets. That's right, I have more than one. They haven't made them in over 5 years and mail order places have a lot left in XS, so they are blowing them out at 29.99 (for a helmet that originally sold for 250.00 when it first came out)!

Bell next made the Moto8, almost the lightest MX helmet on the market and stunning styling and graphics. The helmet retailed for around 400 dollars. Again, I found an XS really cheap on-line and tried it out. Unfortunately the Moto8 doesn't fit me like a Moto7 does, and it hurts my head, so I can't wear one. Now the Moto9 has come out. I am guessing that the Bell name hasn't managed to regather it's once strong following. They probably need to promote it more through reps and incentives to get it into local shops and into the hands of consumers.

They also make a line of top quality full coverage street helmets, open faced cruiser and classic touring helmets, but no dualsport helmets yet.

I went down to buy a new Arai helmet for $450 and while there I discovered I have a $139 head as the HJC fit much better and seemed to be of similar quality and features. Those dirt helmets with shields would be great on higher speed rides like Death Valley. Last time I was there it was in the 30's at times.

That would make a great helmet for a HALO costume. :ph34r:

Just need to find a gold mirrored lens for MasterCheif :)

master-chief.jpg

Whats the deal, are Bells like Hondas around here?

hey now... what's that supposed to mean?! :coolio:

I ride a Honda, and wear a Bell Moto 8 (but have two Arais as well), and prefer the Bell for long rides of 250 dirt miles/day.

.... I've owned an Arai XD and it was nice. But I also owned a Simpson Dual-Sport helmet and it was junk.

The Arai was awesome for dune riding, as I could stay right behind my buddies CR500 and not care about the roost. However, it did take it's toll pretty quick on the shield. I sold it, and never went back to dual-sport type helmets. Nice to know since then, they've come out with cheaper brands that still look good (icon) and are funcitonal.

I've yet to try my DS helmet on a long ride, but I'll give it a shot one of these days.

... I guess I'll have to get a "Real Men Wear Pink" shirt to ride in and a pink helmet so I look FABULOUS!!! :heh:

The PINK would go well with Schwinns Tutu ensemble.... ;) .

schwinntutu.jpg

... I guess I'll have to get a "Real Men Wear Pink" shirt to ride in and a pink helmet so I look FABULOUS!!! :heh:

The PINK would go well with Schwinns Tutu ensemble.... ;) .

schwinntutu.jpg

And notice my Black Arai XD Supermoto Helmet and Go-Pro on side that goes with this thread.

And notice my Black Arai XD Supermoto Helmet and Go-Pro on side that goes with this thread.

Hooligan :P

I bought this helmet and it rubbed my forehead raw every time I used it. I used it 5 times. I liked the design, the shield, etc but the interior wasn't up to par. I ended up giving mine away to another SDAR member and hopefully it fit his wife's head better than it fit me. I suggest trying any helmet on.