There is a price difference, 606 $60-70, 908RR $90-120. Still going to try a set. :D

There is a price difference, 606 $60-70, 908RR $90-120. Still going to try a set. :ph34r:

Be sure to let us know how they work John. I still looking for the perfect tire.LOL

I have ridden with a Michelin Desert on the 950. It's a good tire, I only got about 1400 miles out of it, if I remember correctly. But, for the bigger bike I prefer the Continental TKC-80.

It works well in the dirt, but not very good for pavement.

just put some new shoes on yesterday i'm running the kenda 270 on the back and kings 966 on the front i'll se how it runs this weekend this is my second 270 on the back the first one lasted about 4500 miles so i'm expecting the same, as far as the king go's we'll see.

:ph34r: Holy Cow! I can't even get 4500 miles out of a set of tires on my street bike. Even at my small size and demure riding style, I can stretch about 1000 miles out of a rear dirt tire and double that on a front. I have already chewed through about half of my stock Michelin on the back of my TE 450 at about 500 miles and I think that is doing pretty good for a bike of that size, weight and power. I am thinking of dropping from the stock size 140 to a 110 or 120 so my li'l toesies can touch the ground better :)

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I think I am going to stop worrying about tires and go work an hour and a half to buy another set of rubber. :ph34r::)

Im not sure whats going on? This Tera Flex is going away fast. I only have the noob ride on it and the ware is very noticable? It took about 10 miles to get the slime off. I dont see getting a 1000 miles out of this thing. maybe 800? I wasnt checking the miliage on the noob ride, does anyone have it? I would like to keep track of the life span. Like Schwinn said ,the center is going. I have it mounted a 2.50x18. :D Im not sure about this tire yet martin. I looks and works awsome. My only concern is the life span for the dollar. My 606's were pretty good wareing tires compared to these. But the jury is still out. We will have to wait and see.Bob

I wrote down the exact mileage this time on the receipt for my new terraflex to see were its going.I have 322 miles on it now. the tire says to be mounted on a 3.5 rim, my wheel says on the rim 2.15 so i think we all are going to run them bald down the middle, but i love this tire in sand like around sand dam superstition.

Try one of these Bro....

TIRES.jpg

Pirelli MT21's rock!

Im not sure whats going on? This Tera Flex is going away fast. I only have the noob ride on it and the ware is very noticable? It took about 10 miles to get the slime off. I dont see getting a 1000 miles out of this thing. maybe 800? I wasnt checking the miliage on the noob ride, does anyone have it? I would like to keep track of the life span. Like Schwinn said ,the center is going. I have it mounted a 2.50x18. :D Im not sure about this tire yet martin. I looks and works awsome. My only concern is the life span for the dollar. My 606's were pretty good wareing tires compared to these. But the jury is still out. We will have to wait and see.Bob

I wrote down the exact mileage this time on the receipt for my new terraflex to see were its going.I have 322 miles on it now. the tire says to be mounted on a 3.5 rim, my wheel says on the rim 2.15 so i think we all are going to run them bald down the middle, but i love this tire in sand like around sand dam superstition.

Try one of these Bro....

TIRES.jpg

Pirelli MT21's rock!

I had those tires on the street crf 450r,great on street, slip and slide in the hard pack.

Schwinn and Metal Twister just posted comments about how quickly the beefy Teraflex's dissappeared....so I guess that tire may be out for future consideration.....

I just read an article on thumper talk about the teraflex. The designer of the tire runs them at a maximum of 8 psi. I don't know what you guys are runnning them at, but at 16 psi that would be double what they are designed to run at and they would probably wear considerably in the center. Just a thought. I have not mounted mine yet, but when I do I will run it at 8 psi for hardpack and 6 psi for soft stuff. :) Ken

Schwinn and Metal Twister just posted comments about how quickly the beefy Teraflex's dissappeared....so I guess that tire may be out for future consideration.....

I just read an article on thumper talk about the teraflex. The designer of the tire runs them at a maximum of 8 psi. I don't know what you guys are runnning them at, but at 16 psi that would be double what they are designed to run at and they would probably wear considerably in the center. Just a thought. I have not mounted mine yet, but when I do I will run it at 8 psi for hardpack and 6 psi for soft stuff. :) Ken

Hey Ken, I was up around 15 psi on the teraflex. The thing is so stiff Im sure you could run it with no air and it would be OK. As far as the spoons go, I actually bent one installing the thing. Ive been swamped at the shop for a couple of weeks now and havnt had time to take it off. Before I do I think Im going to do a good shot of Patrone and get my head ready for battle. Ive changed alot of tires in my life but none like this one. Let us know how you do? Also in all fairness, Im not a big street rider, in fact I hate it. But I did put alot of fast hard street miles on that tire. If I could have it just for the dirt it would probably be OK.

My Kenda 760 is toast after <1500 miles. The last ride I made left a powder of rubber on the fender and the tire looks like I've been sitting in the water box at the local drag strip getting ready to run for the title.

I priced the new Dunlop 908RR and and they had better last forever and grip like slicks on hot asphault because you can almost get 2 606s for the price of one 908RR.

Any rule-of-thumb on when to replace tires? I have a Kenda 760 on the rear of my XR650L with about 1000 miles on them. Pics below. The rear end seems to dance all over the place on hardpack, but then again, that's probably the rider, not the tire. Also, I have 4.2 width and was thinking about 4.6 or maybe a 5.0. Should I expect to feel any difference? post-458-1185211806_thumb.jpgpost-458-1185211864_thumb.jpg

Replace the tire when you feel it's ready. My 760 is the same on hardpack and I'll never ride another unless it's free (thanks again Mescalero). Many times I swore I had a flat as the rear was all over the place. I'll say it's a great tire for sand and very soft stuff, but for most of the riding around SoCal it's hard and dusty and that tire doesn't cut it for me.

The problem that I see is there's no knobs down the center of the tire to keep it tracking straight when it starts to slip sideways or prevent it from slipping in the first place. This is a huge problem when traversing a grade and the tire begins to slip. There's nothing to help you out until the bike starts to lean over and you can bite in with the knobs on the edges. Many times it's been too late for those perimeter knobs to be of any use. Broken clutch lever, bent shifter. Next tire please.

There's nothing to help you out until the bike starts to lean over and you can bite in with the knobs on the edges. Many times it's been too late for those perimeter knobs to be of any use. Broken clutch lever, bent shifter. Next tire please.

Been there, done that. Just ordered a new clutch lever this morning. I guess that means I'm overdue for new tires. What size do you run on the rear of your XR? Based on some recommendations, I was thinking about a 110/100 Kenda Carlsbad. It has a set of knobs down the center, I wonder if that would solve the problem of the back end slipping around.

My Kenda 760 is toast after <1500 miles. The last ride I made left a powder of rubber on the fender and the tire looks like I've been sitting in the water box at the local drag strip getting ready to run for the title.

I priced the new Dunlop 908RR and and they had better last forever and grip like slicks on hot asphault because you can almost get 2 606s for the price of one 908RR.

Any rule-of-thumb on when to replace tires? I have a Kenda 760 on the rear of my XR650L with about 1000 miles on them. Pics below. The rear end seems to dance all over the place on hardpack, but then again, that's probably the rider, not the tire. Also, I have 4.2 width and was thinking about 4.6 or maybe a 5.0. Should I expect to feel any difference? post-458-1185211806_thumb.jpgpost-458-1185211864_thumb.jpg

What's the stock width? Bigger (wider) isn't necessarily better.....if you go that route you'll be making your bike work harder (run hotter) by pushing/spinning more surface area, lowering your gas mileage/range, and it'll probabaly be a bit tougher to turn in as well....just my $.02....

[

What's the stock width? Bigger (wider) isn't necessarily better.....if you go that route you'll be making your bike work harder (run hotter) by pushing/spinning more surface area, lowering your gas mileage/range, and it'll probabaly be a bit tougher to turn in as well....just my $.02....

Original stock was 4.6. According to the Kenda specs, the 110/100 I have now is 4.2. The specs say that the 110/100 Carlsbad model I am looking at is 5.0. I am a pretty tame rider so I would be willing to give up performance in exchange for a tire that would settle down my rear end. If I remember correctly, I believe you spoke highly of the Carlsbad model a few months ago. Would you still recommend them?

The kenda carlsbad is a great tire front and rear and have had them onmy crf 450 then switched to kenda southwicks for deeper sandier terrain that I like, for superstition type stuff its the southwick, but then again I use the terraflex on my ktm 525 but wears out too quick on the street but great in sandy conditions. .04cents

Yeah, I have Carlsbad's on the front of both of my KTMs......I put a 120/100 on the back of my 520 in early June (stock is 110/100....just went slightly oversize)....I've been using Carlsbad's for years (they USED to be a bargain tire too.....but prices have gone up in the last year).........I've never really kept track but I'm fairly certain I blow through rear tires every ~1K miles or so <_< .....then again, I think the Carlsbads wear better than DOT 606's even though they are a non DOT tire.....I'm thinking of trying a Maxxis Desert IT on the rear next since everyone seems to be on that bandwagon....not sure if the weight/torque of your bike makes a big difference....

I went to the Maxxis website and it appears that they have a dualsport tire out called the Dualmaxx. It looks pretty aggressive in the photos, but nobody in any of the shops around here has heard of it and it isn't in any catalogs or online stores. I am pretty interested in checking out a set for my TE and I e-mailed a message to Maxxis about a week ago, asking for information and availability, but so far I have not heard a darn peep out of them for a reply, so strike that idea. I am also interested in trying the IRC BR (Battle Rally)99 series, so I might give a set of those a whirl, so to speak. I really want a set of DOT but might default to something like a Bridgestone ED11, 12 series (their desert tires).

I had the Excella OF-219 on the back of my husky, and the tire worked well, and lasted much longer than the stock Michelin 3. I got it online through american motorcycle tires: http://www.americanmototire.com/

I was thinking about buying another set for the husky. But I'm also looking at tires for the BMW G650X which has a dry weight of 318 lb. Continental TK80 seem great and durable, but seem to be 60/40 and are pricey; Michelin Baja seem like a great choice but are also very expensive; Michelin Desert are also expensive; Pirelli's M21 are more affordable and seem fine. Kendals are also not too bad. Karoos are also an option. But this Excellas are super super cheap! Why not getting the excellas for the BMW as I rather pay less and change more often to have fresh tires, than pay lots of $$$. I really want the most off-road aggressive tire, which is DOT. Any other opinions on this???

time for a new front and rear, any word back from maxxis dirt dame? I'm leaning toward the maxxis desert tire for the rear and not sure about the front yet. Gonna have to get some new ones soon though. I'm only getting ~800 miles out of the last rear (pirelli MT16 agressive tire!).

I finally found out that Maxxis isn't going to be selling the Dual Maxx in the states. Appears they didn't market it right, or I am sure they could have sold plenty. As some of you know, I ended up with a Dunlop Ralley Raider on the front of my Husky and a 606 on thr rear. I used a skinnier rear tire on the back hoping that it would sit a little lower, but that didn't happen. This combo is not a good sand solution, but the carcasses of the tires soak up a lot of impact and are good in rocky terrain. I will try good old MT21s next and see how that works out. Either that or I will just run a non-D.O.T. tire next. I have Bridgestone Gritty ED03 and 04 combo on my KLX and they are really great tires for pavement but so-so for dirt. I am thinking that even the most aggressive dirt oriented dualie tire isn't going to get very near an all dirt tire in performance off the road, but I don't care about pavement so much, so maybe the Pirellies for that little dude also, before going back to something like 739/756 combo.

for what its worth, the pirelli MT16 was pretty good in the sand and not bad on the dirt and rocks too. The pirelli MT16 doesn't say "not for highway" or "DOT". This tire has huge treads! the treads on the side walls still look like new. I guess I need to lean harder into the turns and make use of that tire.

I'll give the maxxis desert a try this time or another MT16 depending on whats cheaper. I don't care about DOT. I do 98% offroad and want a tire that hooks up good in the desert.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I am now useing Dunlop 952 MX. Intermediate to hard terrain Front and rear on all three bikes.

I got over 3,000 miles out of my last set. about 2,000 of that was street miles. everything from drag raceing Harleys, two up trips everywhere, MX. at Amago, Baja, the all killer loop.Biig Bear. Ridgcrest to Lone Pine and back.Dualies charaty rided with the seps.

The only thing is they wiggle a little on the freeway, over 70MPH.

MY 50DY. CENT.

Craig. <_<

I had the Excella OF-219 on the back of my husky, and the tire worked well, and lasted much longer than the stock Michelin 3. I got it online through american motorcycle tires: http://www.americanmototire.com/

I was thinking about buying another set for the husky. But I'm also looking at tires for the BMW G650X which has a dry weight of 318 lb. Continental TK80 seem great and durable, but seem to be 60/40 and are pricey; Michelin Baja seem like a great choice but are also very expensive; Michelin Desert are also expensive; Pirelli's M21 are more affordable and seem fine. Kendals are also not too bad. Karoos are also an option. But this Excellas are super super cheap! Why not getting the excellas for the BMW as I rather pay less and change more often to have fresh tires, than pay lots of $$$. I really want the most off-road aggressive tire, which is DOT. Any other opinions on this???

For people that are ridding the bigger bikes, the tires need to support this extra weight and the tire will wear faster. As far as BMW bikes and tires, the TKC 80 is the tire of choice as it wears well, will support the weight, and the most important part-WILL NOT VOID YOUR WARRANTY. Yes, check with BMW before using a "unauthorized tire", and make sure you put the correct size as this will also void your warranty.

everything from drag raceing Harleys, .

MY 50DY. CENT.

Craig. :D

Craig,

Drag racing Harleys? <_< What happened to you? Are you feeling ok? You drag racing Harleys is like me parking the motorcycle funny, what is so hard about that? :D You don’t have to go faster then a walk to drag race a Harley. I know because I own one (and love it). :D

Anyway how are those tires (952) on the deep sand?

Roger