any recommendation on a good dual sport tires? i use D606 now, but i swear when i hit the pavement it seems to just wear off. i go like 20 miles and i noticed the wear. any knobbies that last longer from other experience? or is this just the price of dual sporting? or perhaps i can switch to a less dirt aggresive tires like a 80/20 ?

No one tire is the answer! That is the problem with dual sport people. We want it all. The best thing to do is have different sets of wheels for what you are going to be riding. Have a wheel set with 50/50 tires for the long street ride with fire road, mellow off road. Then have another wheel set with the aggressive set up for mainly off road. Seems like a lot to invest, but you are seeing already how much you will be spending on tires. All knobbies are going to wear quickly. So far the 606,s seem to be the favorite. I will be trying a teraflex soon.

any recommendation on a good dual sport tires? i use D606 now, but i swear when i hit the pavement it seems to just wear off. i go like 20 miles and i noticed the wear. any knobbies that last longer from other experience? or is this just the price of dual sporting? or perhaps i can switch to a less dirt aggresive tires like a 80/20 ?

I really like the Kenda Carlsbads.....my local KTM dealer (All American KTM in Ramona) got me started on them a couple of years ago and I've used'em ever since on both of my dual sport bikes.......not DOT but they wear well desipte their aggressive/off road tread......which is a win-win in my book since my riding is probably 85/15 (dirt/street)......that being said, I just installed my first 606 rear tire since it came to me free of charge at the Desert Dash raffle......this weekend's Death Valley 350 will likely include a lot of road given the mileage we have to cover each day.......it'll be interesting to see how the 606 holds up on both pavement/dirt......

The 150/90 tire Schwinn had on his 525 Sunday blew my mind.....talk about "beefy"......wow.....would like to give that tire a try as well just for the hell of it.........

As crawdaddy said,the kenda carlsbad is a great tire but not DOT but a great on and offroad tire,the kenda southwick is also not DOT but i use them on my dualsport CRF 450r,the kenda southwick is for more sandy terrain,my ktm has a huge footprint on back,its a terraflex 150/90/18 and is DOT APPROVED but i dont see how,the teraflex is a slip and slide on the street but the trade off in the dirt and sand compensates for it,the terraflex can only be bought thru chapparal or www.mandhtires.com $72.00? i believe and kenda anywhere for about $55.00.

I had a run of bad luck with the Dunlop 606's.... two sets just shredded way too fast on the pig. I had people on the pavement honk their horns and give me the one finger salute in traffic for throwing chunks of rubber at them.

I went back to PIRELLI MT21's (rallycross)., They work great and you can have some serious faith in them on and off road. They are a 90% offroad / 10% road dualie tire, I got almost 2,000 miles on my last rear MT21! :lol:

Posted Image

I enjoy the hell out of high speed twisty stuff on pavement in between dirt roads and trails with them. They will make you feel confident on just about any surface you ride on. They have a decent amount of aggresive treads that hook up very well on all kinds of surfaces. (sand, hardpack, loose rocks and even pavement)

I have had them on a few of the of the bikes I have owned. Perilli's have a much harder rubber compound than most other brands with multiple steel twisted cable re-enforced side walls which helps with the squishy feeling in turns or even the firmer stuff when they get warm.

They are so tough that the best way to get them off of a rim is to cut 3/4 of the tire with a hacksaw.

Seriously once you see how tough they are made and the thickness of the sidewalls and the tire itself you might be sold on them.

Just my 2 cents....

My dad used to tell this when I was a kid: "Opions are like asshole.....everybody has one!"

Good Luck buddy :lol:

Aaron

My dad used to tell this when I was a kid: "Opions are like asshole.....everybody has one!"

Aaron

"EXCUSES are like assholes....everybody has one....and they all STINK!" Well thats what Mama used to say!

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Gunner is right My Pirreli M21 was much better on the street but I felt the 606 was better on the dirt. On my CR 500 I use a bridgstone 401 and a 402 Intermediate terrain M.X tire not dot. approved but that bike almost never sees pavment.

Continental Twinduro TKC 80's. Great in the dirt, a knobby tire that handles like a street tire. Wears great and is DOT approved. A must for the Heavier bikes! It's even tubless if you want.

Continental Twinduro TKC 80's. Great in the dirt, a knobby tire that handles like a street tire. Wears great and is DOT approved. A must for the Heavier bikes! It's even tubless if you want.

Thx for the advice, took off the d606 and trying these tkc. street ride is very good. not bad on the wear. for dirt is not so good. the d606 is much better, but for the wear i think i can loose abit of dirt for like 4x longer lasting.

i heard some good things about the karoo too maybe i will try them next.

Thx for the advice, took off the d606 and trying these tkc. street ride is very good. not bad on the wear. for dirt is not so good. the d606 is much better, but for the wear i think i can loose abit of dirt for like 4x longer lasting.

i heard some good things about the karoo too maybe i will try them next.

The key is to find the best fit for your riding style. It may end up being a more expensive tire. I like to justify buying better tires with the money I have saved on gas. It makes those often tire changes just a little easyer.

I have the stock metzler sahara on my G650X, which seem to be great on the street... I was looking into the TKC 80, or Dunlop 606, or the metzler karoos, in order to increase off-road capability... So, keep me posted any of you guys as you try these tires....

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I cant believe how well the Dunlop 606 worked and how long they have lasted. I love the way they worked everywhere I have ridden. I still havent got a flat, 9 pounds front 11 pounds rear. I will use a sand tire on the front at the next desert dash. The 606 knobies are too close together for fast sand riding. I have started doing all the rides Pyro style because the 606 last so long. I have had no problems with low tire pressure and no rim locks. also no problems on the freeway doing 85mph. all day long with MX tire pressure. Since I got my saddle bags I have been riding my bike to jobs every day and loving it. This month alone I put over 1000, miles on them. They work awsome.

I ride my DRZ to and from work to save on gas, forty miles round trip. So I had to find a tire that didn’t wear out at 500 miles. I wanted a tire that was still aggressive enough to handle my weekly fix of getting lost out in the hills on my way home from work. That’s when I discovered the Kings 966 dual sport tire. It wears great I cant remember how many miles I got out of it because I had it on my bike for so long I forgot about it. If you have to have a dirt knobby tire then this is not the tire for you, but it is a great all around tire. I will add a couple links so you can check em out for yourself. If you like spend your money at local shops San Diego Sport Cycle can get these tires and match or beat internet prices.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item....&division=6

If you have to have a dirt knobby tire then this is not the tire for you, but it is a great all around tire.

How's the grip in the dirt Jordan? It looks pretty slick... http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/scratch_one-s_head.gif

On a scale 1 to 10, I would give it a 6.5 for dirt and street. There is no match to a staight dirt tire, you can't heve em both. For a distance tire it is perfect for long trips with minimal wear. Im not trying to push this tire on anyone, I have tried numerous tires and so far the kings 966 has worked for me.

I hope this helps.

I liked my original Trail Wing 52 that came on the rear of my XR650, good dirt traction, peg scraping grip on the street and I got 3500 miles out of it. A little pricey for me so on the next change up I'm going to try the Kenda 270. Really inexpensive tire with deep lugs and what I've read from other forums it lasts forever.

I'd like a knobby for my dirt trips, but I ride to the dirt and around town with my bike so a 50/50 tire is what I need.

Posted Image

As crawdaddy said,the kenda carlsbad is a great tire but not DOT but a great on and offroad tire,the kenda southwick is also not DOT but i use them on my dualsport CRF 450r,the kenda southwick is for more sandy terrain,my ktm has a huge footprint on back,its a terraflex 150/90/18 and is DOT APPROVED but i dont see how,the teraflex is a slip and slide on the street but the trade off in the dirt and sand compensates for it,the terraflex can only be bought thru chapparal or www.mandhtires.com $72.00? i believe and kenda anywhere for about $55.00.

I was curious as if you have tried the Terra-Flex tires? they are made by Interco, of Swamper fame. Saw one this weekend and they sure look impressive. The rider I was talking to seemed very happy with his. Like you say, cant seem to pick them up just anywhere though. Just looking for some local feed back on the tire before I Buy. Been very satisfied with my 606's, but these Tera-flex tires look MIGHTY FINE! http://www.intercotire.com/site53.php. One of the meanest lookin DOT tires i've met. Any input would be appreciated.

do a search on the terra flex... some people consider them scary on the road...

Guess my search isnt working? nothing else comes up but this thread? thanks for the info.

schwinn, how is the terraflex wearing?? I want to try one. :(

Guess my search isnt working? nothing else comes up but this thread? thanks for the info.

It was on thumpertalk... and spelled incorrectly.

the basic jist was: the "release agent" that lets the tire separate from the mold doesn't wear off, even after hundreds of miles, causing the tire to break loose on the street, even at mild lean angles...

in fairness, a lot of people were very happy with them... so... :(

schwinn, how is the terraflex wearing?? I want to try one. :(

I bought mine before the dessert dash and have about 900 miles on it now, it only comes in a 150-90-18,

get in the dirt immediatly to get the oil off of the tire,great in dirt even better in sand, and OK on street.

wwwmandhtires.com is cheapest or go to chapparal in san bernadino.shipping UPS ground is $18.56. you can run very low air PSI with these tires cuz the carcass of the tire is huge.

I have heard that the biggest complaint is that they are heavy. I am thinking that I probably will not notice the weight, but a better rider with a lighter bike might. I just put my new 150/18 on the scale it is 19lbs. My biggest concern is having it rub on the swingarm, chain or battery box. I probably won't know until I mount it.

The best prices I found were at http://www.mandhtires.com/store.php?crn=68...ion=show_detail

And I thank my lucky stars that I didn't have to spoon a Tera Flax off in the dirt, in the dark the other night when I got a flat, because it is stiff. It is so stiff, with a light bike and rimlocks you can run them flat with no adverse affects, and regular "working" pressure is down to 6 PSI. I am having very good luck with my "Trackmaster II", but am looking forward to trying the Tera Flex "if it fits". :( Ken

One of these days I would also like to try a trials tire, I have heard they are tough to beat for technical riding, and hold up excellent on the highway.

I have the 150 Terra flex, but have not mounted it. I am worried about rubbing. Not only on the usual swingarm issues, but also under the seat. I have noticed that the 130 dunlop has been rubbing a little under the rear fender/subframe.

I have the 150 Terra flex, but have not mounted it. I am worried about rubbing. Not only on the usual swingarm issues, but also under the seat. I have noticed that the 130 dunlop has been rubbing a little under the rear fender/subframe.

GET A STIFFER SPRING "TINY"