DigDug

Another Big Bike Ride - Toro Peak

Last Sunday I was talking with someone who said they had ridden up Toro Peak recently. I had forgotten how nice the views are from up there and am thinking about heading up there this weekend. Sunday is better for me right now. Rather than ride pavement up there, we could do Bagstr's Ramona loop up to Anza then do the out-and-back to Toro Peak from there. The only disadvantage of this is that it makes for a long day!

Since it's a long day, we probably ought to be rolling pretty early. Let's plan on meeting at Packards Coffee Shop (GOOGLE MAPS LINK HERE) in Ramona at 7th and Main and ready to roll by 7:30am. Dirt up to the Hideout, then pavement to Warner Springs, Dirt to Anza, then over to Toro Peak for the dirt road to the top. From there, back to Anza. Pavement to the dirt on the north side of Palomar. Pavement back to the Hideout, and dirt back to Ramona. Long day, but I suppose we could always bail out of the Palomar stuff on the way back and slab it back home or to the trucks.

It should be all relatively easy riding and suitable for big bikes. I'll be on the Great Pumpkin (950 Adventure). Not a fast pace, but we need to keep moving to cover the miles.

I 'hand drew' a GPS track from the gas station in Ramona and added it to Bagstr's GPS file. Grab the gdb file from : THIS LINK

Anyone interested?

but I suppose we could always bail out of the Palomar stuff on the way back and slab it back home or to the trucks.

It should be all relatively easy riding and suitable for big bikes. I'll be on the Great Pumpkin (950 Adventure). Not a fast pace, but we need to keep moving to cover the miles.

I 'hand drew' a GPS track from the gas station in Ramona and added it to Bagstr's GPS file. Grab the gdb file from : THIS LINK

Anyone interested?

Can't open GPS file at work.

Is Toro Peak the same as Santa Rosa Mountain ? Where is Toro Peak ?

Slab it back to the TRUCKS ? What trucks, thought this is a big bike ride ?! :unsure:

I may be interested, since haven't been riding the 950 enough lately.

Is Toro Peak the same as Santa Rosa Mountain, off of 74 headed down towards Palm Desert ?

I may be interested in this ride, since I need to get out on the 950 more.

Yup.. Same road. You pass by Santa Rosa Mountain on the dirt road up to Toro Peak.

HERE'S THE AREA IN GOOGLE TOPO MAPS

I just had one 'strong maybe' from a guy here at work and another 'probably' from another.

Should be a good ride as long as it doesn't get too hot on us! Anza is a forecasted hight of 84 on Sunday.

I just had one 'strong maybe' from a guy here at work and another 'probably' from another.

Should be a good ride as long as it doesn't get too hot on us! Anza is a forecasted hight of 84 on Sunday.

We rode back from Big Bear thru Anza last Sunday, about the same temps, was not bad at all.

I'm a maybe, possibly do it 2-up on the 950.......should be easy enough for 2-up, I know the route.

I'll check with sweetie.

Doable 2up on Distanzas?

I don't have the time or energy to spoon new rubber right now.

Doable 2up on Distanzas?

Depends on rider/passenger. I'd say yes, but skill level plays quite a bit into it.

Most of it is relatively level fire-roads. Some (but not too much) sand. Very little steep loose climbs.

Doable 2up on Distanzas?

I wouldn't suggest any dirt 2-up on street oriented tires. Too easy to fall down go-boom.

Doable 2up on Distanzas?

Depends on rider/passenger. I'd say yes, but skill level plays quite a bit into it.

Most of it is relatively level fire-roads. Some (but not too much) sand. Very little steep loose climbs.

I have the worlds best passenger. No problem there. Count me a maybe!

How much experience you got with Distanza's in the dirt ?

See my post above.

How much experience you got with Distanza's in the dirt ?

See my post above.

Mostly the ring roads at Corral and theo Border area on theDistanzas. I also recenbtly lead a rescue mission in Los Padres where I towed a Loaded 950 on my GSA.

My confidence is high on bigger bikes, its my WR that I fall with ALOT and the DRZ takes it's fair share.

Maybe I should just start spooning... or leave the girl at home.

Mostly the ring roads at Corral and theo Border area on theDistanzas. I also recenbtly lead a rescue mission in Los Padres where I towed a Loaded 950 on my GSA.

My confidence is high on bigger bikes, its my WR that I fall with ALOT and the DRZ takes it's fair share.

Just depends on your comfort level.........not saying you shouldn't go. It's all up to you :)

Or toss the irons.......start spooning with the girl......and stay at home.......just sayn :)

I may join in on this ride too......small bike, but "Big Bike Rider "

I may join in on this ride too......small bike, but "Big Bike Rider "

Now you better stay at home, that little 250 won't keep up with the big bikes :):P

ON the pavement, that is..........

In. See ya Sunday AM at Packards. Might have to cover the teak DR seat with the Wallyworld pad for this kinda mileage.

My son and I were talking about a ride on sunday, looks great, so good chance we'll join you....will confirm before then...we just did much of this route last week, so may skip the palomar portion, but we shall see..

Beware of the paved corner right before you reach the Hideout. There's a lovely "doublewide" dwelling who allows their gravelly driveway to spill out onto that very sharp right hand turn. It almost claimed me and took some skin off of my riding buddy's arm. If you hit it unprepared it could get very ugly.

BAGSTER is In, See y'all 0730.

The 690 will be Packing... a load, equal to a tiny pillion.

Are trials treads OK??

Packard's aren't they out of production??

Whats' a Link?

Big Bike? Is that over 700cc to qualify?

cool.gif

I have the worlds best passenger. No problem there. Count me a maybe!

But I'm not riding with you. Maybe you have the worlds SECOND best passenger, right Dug?

But I'm not riding with you. Maybe you have the worlds SECOND best passenger, right Dug?

I'm NOT riding double with you all day Sunday.. Bring a different bike!!!

BAGSTER is In, See y'all 0730.

The 690 will be Packing... a load, equal to a tiny pillion.

Are trials treads OK??

Packard's aren't they out of production??

Whats' a Link?

Big Bike? Is that over 700cc to qualify?

cool.gif

Big Bike is more than 600 cc's :)

Packards is on Main and 7th

I'm a maybe on the XR- fakey... you wanna go (on a DIFFERENT BIKE)? The DRZ is ready to go too

The XR really won't like that last climb up to the antenna, but will be fine on everything else*

*edit* Due to my newfound holy nature, I am out for this ride. Paul- XR or DRZ is still yours iff'n you want

i know it is not a BIG bike but my 530 is fast enough to keep up...anything over 150mi is hard on the butt tho...

fakey its your if you wanna ride your own bike instead of diggity's pillion :)

The DRZ should be a familiar mount, Paul. :)

Just qualifying with 649cc's.......see ya Sunday.