stroked 550

boot recommendations

I am looking for a good DS boot... I ride on the street at least few times during the week & on weekends I DS

( I will be doing day trips as well as multiple day excursions throughout the summer.

I am looking for something that I can walk around in without looking like a robot , that you can shift easily with & have a good feel of the brake lever, that has good protection & is well built.

What are your guys recommendations?

thanks,

Andrew

These are what I wear.

crossfiretablack_2289_general.jpg

Not cheap, but how can you put a price on safety and quality.

I am looking for a good DS boot... I ride on the street at least few times during the week & on weekends I DS

( I will be doing day trips as well as multiple day excursions throughout the summer.

I am looking for something that I can walk around in without looking like a robot , you can feel the shift & brake lever, that has good protection & is well built.

What are your guys recommendations?

thanks,

Andrew

It's a dilemma sorta like……which “one” bike should I buy B):) ……just as in bikes, one boot = compromise :good: ……personally, for short rides around town in jeans/on pavement I just wear basic Sears & Roebuck “Engineer boots”......one downside of the non robotic Engineer boot approach is that I can feel the heat of the header pipe......so not so great for long rides.......

For dual sport riding I wear ATGATT along with “Robot Special” riding boots

AlpinestarsTech6SilverMD.png

(My black Sidi boots fell apart after years of hard abuse……a friend recently gave me his lightly used Alpine Star Tech 6 boots……a bit flashier than I’d prefer (silver/white/red) and one size too big……..but the price was right – free - so that changed my perspective on flashy/oversized boots :lol:)

I guess if I was to choose “one” boot I might look into something like Sidi “Discovery” boots or Gaerne “Explorer” boots……..I don’t own either pair but both look well rounded/safe and they’re solid black/less “Robotic” looking……

i got Tech 2's....given the choice again i'd probably get the 3's..

i commute with them, and they are pretty comfy...and walking isn't too bad

when offroad, i wear shin/knee guards too...which i cracked the kneecup on last ride....

B)...YMMV..keep in mind they are short boots... :good:

I'm trying to buy the Sidi 'Chargers" cause they have great reviews but no one carries them to try them on. I'm thinking just order them online from somewhere with a good return policy.

Love my Tech 8s, but will eventually replace them with Sidi Crossfires.

the ICON field armor boot worked well for 2 years. I used them for about a total time of 1.5 years everyday. even here at work no reason to change out they felt fine, for me.

they run about $130.00 and i,m going to buy another pair.

for longer rides i wear the TECH 8s that were ugly and on sale, yes, I got the silver ones and I dont care cause i ride a KLR and i,m a cheap bastard.

Carry on

I like these - http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/Produ...Boots_Black.jpg

Less protection, but no robot-ness and easy to walk around in

I wouldn't recommend a boot like this for Dual Sport riding, as I believe you want the added leg protection for when you tip over and the bike falls on you. Those are pretty good street bike boots though, I like the style.

like all things Dual Sport, you're going to compromise

tires and bikes fall in the same category; it's kind of like the "triangle"... we used this analogy for bicycling... light, strong, cheap... pick any TWO

DS- protection, comfort, cheap... pick any TWO

I have gone back to wearing my crappy boots, because my less-crappy boots are uncomfortable, and they're on the 3rd set of buckles... I don't crash as often as reputation would lead you to belive, and I'm thinking my comfy boots are "enough" protection, while being comfortable enough

like all things Dual Sport, you're going to compromise

I have gone back to wearing my crappy boots, because my less-crappy boots are uncomfortable, and they're on the 3rd set of buckles... I don't crash as often as reputation would lead you to belive, and I'm thinking my comfy boots are "enough" protection, while being comfortable enough

By the time you get to be my age Bob "comfy" gets very high on the priority list. My 30 year old leather Alpinstars are pretty comfy and "enough" protection for me too because I gave up falling down years ago. B)

At the jacuzzi last night in our housing community, and a guy comes walking into the pool area wearing a bathing suit and Tech 8's. The boots were brand new, and he walked right into the jacuzzi wearing them. He saw the somewhat stunned look on my face and said, "Hey, this is the best way to break in brand new boots."

I hadn't heard that trick before. I always just wore them around the house for an entire day and suffered through the blisters with new boots.

Has anyone else done this?

At the jacuzzi last night in our housing community, and a guy comes walking into the pool area wearing a bathing suit and Tech 8's. The boots were brand new, and he walked right into the jacuzzi wearing them. He saw the somewhat stunned look on my face and said, "Hey, this is the best way to break in brand new boots."

I hadn't heard that trick before. I always just wore them around the house for an entire day and suffered through the blisters with new boots.

i think you missed his "signal" B)

B)..heard same thing about doing that to baseball glove...*shrug*

Someone recommended that to me when I got my tech 6 boots. I was too lazy to do it. The first day I wore them it was hard to ride then I ran over a rattlesnake and I decided I could live with slightly uncomfortable. They haven't been that hard to break in.

I've had 2 pairs of Garne(do not remember the model) & 2 pairs of Tech 8 and switched to the Sidi Crossfire. The Crossfire SRS is the top-of-the line and compares to the Tech 10.

I like the hinge design in the Crossfire boot. It made the break-in period shorter and gives more brake/shifter "feel". I do not like the Tech inner bootie design, they make the boot wider, more cumbersome, retains heat & more difficult to shift. I found myself lifting my entire leg when up-shifting.

The Tech 8's are more a traditional design with a stitched sole, front metal toe guard and replaceable arches. The entire sole is replaced with the Crossfire SRS, the TA

The Crossfires are priced between the Alpinestar boots at(~$500), but less expensive than the Tech 10 (~$575), but more then the Tech 8(~$430) boots. Sidi TA version is (~$450).

Difficult choice, as they are all well-engineered, use quality materials & will last for many rides. Enjoy

Here are some Vintage Gearne LEATHER boots I wear up in Page. Wore them six weeks ago on a ride in Utah and they are 30 years old. Very comfortable for hiking too. My riding buddy Steve Scott was wearing the exact same pair of boots. His were 30 years old too.

post-6274-1274227404.jpg

post-6274-1274227354.jpg

post-6274-1274226987.jpg

Zeno, i was REALLY hoping you only left that first picture...i thought it really captured how good your boots are!! B)

B)...move!! that rock might FALL!!!

i personally wear a pair of leather work boots that come up over the ankles for around town and then full on dirt ones for the offroad stuff.

OK....Here is another photo of my 30 year old Gearne LEATHER boots in action.

post-6274-1274229511.jpg