slagnado

Motorcycle Carrier

Now that I have these great bikes, I have no way to transport them if I need to. Any advice on a carrier rack? which brand?

I am trying to find the best carrier rack, I drive a Honda Fit, I am thinking of getting a double rack so I have the option to carry both bikes or a friend's.

1) Bike Xt 225 Dry Weight 108kg (238 lb)

Details

Length 2,100mm (82.7")

Width 805mm (31.5")

Height 1,160mm (45.7")

Wheelbase 1,350mm (53.1")

Seat Height 810mm (31.9")

2) Bike 2009 G BMW 650 GS Dry Weight: 387 lbs.

Overall Length: 85.6 inches

Overall Width: 35.8 inches

Wheelbase: 58.2 inches

Seat Height: 30.7 inches

I was looking at this one but to be honest, I have no idea what I should be looking for. I am visual, can someone help with the numbers....

http://www.discountramps.com/double-motorcycle-carrier.htm

But it doesn't look like I can carry both these bikes on it? What other options should I look at or consider? Getting a truck is not an option, just sold the van to get the dirt bike:)

Thanks,

Sondra

post-13968-1272514527.jpg

I don't think there is any way a fit will take a carrier like that. MAYBE you can pull a teeny trailer, but I'll bet you can't carry one bike, much less two.

Sorry :)

I don't think there is any way a fit will take a carrier like that. MAYBE you can pull a teeny trailer, but I'll bet you can't carry one bike, much less two.

Sorry :)

urgh...The Fits holds way too many dogs:) I was told one of these would work... thanks

I had a Honda Fit and found it to be a nice little commuter car. It had better gas mileage then my Harley-Davidson. But no way is that car designed to carry a 200 to almost 400 pound load hanging of off the back. :) That is an accident just waiting to happen. The best thing is to get a light trailer from somewhere like Harbor freight to carry the bikes. But I’m not sure the car will even tow a trailer. You need to check your owner’s manual to make sure it can tow. I could be wrong but most mini cars like that are designed for carrying passengers only and are not safe for towing.

One option until you can get a tow vehicle is to ride (Pyro) your dual-sport bike to the rides.

Update****

According to the Honda UK Web site, the 2008 Honda Fit has a towing capacity of 1,000 pounds.

That is trailer plus bikes.

If I were in your situation, I'd go with a 4X8 trailer for your needs.

i know you said it wasnt an option but you can probably find an old 4cyl truck on cl for real cheap

Honda Jazz site (basically the same as a fit) has a hitch as an option. Towing capacity is 450 lbs (unbraked)...I'm assuming that means your trailer has no brakes.

jazz_acc_towbar_600.jpg

Everything I read quotes the FIT manual as saying towing voids the warranty. I agree with the blogs that say it has more to do with idiots who will attempt to tow a loaded U-Haul and then sue Honda cuz they crashed (kinda like the Rhino folks who heavily modify their toy by placing 400 lbs of live load above the CG and sue cuz it rolled).

Fit Hitches Note the hitch capacity is 2000 lbs....NO WAY would I attempt to tow that much with a FIT. Shock used to tow a small trailer/regular sized bike with his Prius...maybe he has some insight.

More info

Harbor Freight Trailer Guessing this is the one Mimi was referring to. Throw a single rail down the middle and bingo. Folds for easy storage. Buy a spare tire.

Suggestion: Ask the Honda dealer to install the hitch for you....I think you know where this is going....

Your choice (wussy lawsuit disclaimer) but just some words for thought....

The only problem with those Harbor Freight trailers is that after you buy it, you gotta build it, register it and spend lots of time.

They are bolt together which makes them flimsy instead of welded

Dinky short life tires

gotta add plywood or expanded metal for a decking

They give you a certificate of origin for registering through the DMV......everybody knows how great standing in line at the DMV and going through an inspection is........good times!

much better off scouring the for sale ads or craigslist for someone who has already invested the time and money.

Time is real expensive.

I just love watching people tow those trailers with tiny tires down the freeway at 65-70..........they don't realize that the trailer tire is half the size of their tow vehicle's tires.........so it is going twice the speed of the tow vehicle.

All good points Mike. Locktite everything and keep on top of it. Pretty sure I can help with the DMV stuff. A CL trailer is a great option...just looking at weight. I was looking at overall wt cuz of the towing capacity. Tires...yeah...buy two spares and bearing buddies.

Guessing this is the one Mimi was referring to.

I was actually thinking of the open utility trailers that Home Depot carries.

I would still look for a cheap tow vehicle or small pickup truck. The Fit is just not designed for towing. Over loading it could be vary dangerous. Be safe instead.

Or just hang around here a while, most rides posted are fairly local, you could commute to the meeting spot, or for longer options, there are usually plenty of us with space on truck or trailer....and lots of friendly and helpful people around. :ph34r:

Or just hang around here a while, most rides posted are fairly local, you could commute to the meeting spot, or for longer options, there are usually plenty of us with space on truck or trailer....and lots of friendly and helpful people around. :ok:

Thanks everyone for the feedback, it has been very helpful and informative. Should have done my homework first? I was thinking of the carrier mainly for the XT. I can ride the 650 anywhere, the idea of the option was a nice thought.

I now have a better understanding of the tow/carrier/capacity variables. I can't believe I am saying this out loud but there was a brief moment last night that I actually regretted selling the divorced man's dream (the mini-van) already hitch ready. I am nervous pulling a trailer on the Fit and the figuring out where to store it. Down the road, I'll look for a truck. So for now I'll take any ride offers to the far away rides for the XT or just ride the Beast!

I actually did some pretty long rides on my TW200... just stay off the freeway more than an exit or two... for your XT, you can ride some pretty fun roads, gas up in Campo, then hit Corral...

Also; I always have space in my truck for other rides... and post newb rides once a month or so

I have a big old 8' 1/2 ton pickup that I use a Joe Hauler type rack on and the DR650 is quite noticeable back there. I often pull my Moto Guzzi 1100, my BMW R100/7, or the DR200 and the 650 on my little trailer. The trailer is rated at 800lbs.

I have the little Harbor Freight trailer (40"x 48") that I got for $160 (+tax) on sale. With the spare, the plywood deck I made, and the DMV fee, I figure I'm in about $300 and a day and a half of work, but I extended the tongue about 18" with some steel I had laying around and I welded all of the joints. I think your Honda could easily tow this with one bike on it, and these little trailers have covered thousands of miles when handled carefully and keeping the wheels greased. There is a nice 4' x 6' at Home Depot that would be a "turn key" answer for about $400 +tax and DMV.

I leave one of the bikes on the trailer and throw a tarp over the whole business next to my garage. Unless you are a pickup truck person, and since you already have the car, I think that it's a good setup. I know ShockNAwe dragged his bikes all over the place with his Prius and it's no Peterbilt, you just have to remember it's back there and be cautious. If you really want to go large, talk to Schwinn's buddies!

Different thought. http://trailerinabag.com/trailers.html I have no idea how well it actually tows, but the single is only supposed to weigh 140lbs. I think the price is a bit steep as well, considering the engineering of the thing too. But it solves a couple things for you: at 140lbs i think thats about the lightest towing "trailer" you can find, and the thing breaks down and can be thrown in the corner of your garage....

I actually did some pretty long rides on my TW200... just stay off the freeway more than an exit or two... for your XT, you can ride some pretty fun roads, gas up in Campo, then hit Corral...

Also; I always have space in my truck for other rides... and post newb rides once a month or so

I rode it home from Vista on the 15 and the next day to Ramona and it easy enough to ride but was wondering about the places farther out. Do you take the 94 to Corral? Can you share the route? I was not to excited to ride the XT out there because of the wind and mainly the ....long ride home.

Different thought. http://trailerinabag.com/trailers.html I have no idea how well it actually tows, but the single is only supposed to weigh 140lbs. I think the price is a bit steep as well, considering the engineering of the thing too. But it solves a couple things for you: at 140lbs i think thats about the lightest towing "trailer" you can find, and the thing breaks down and can be thrown in the corner of your garage....

theres also this little thing

http://www.cycle-tow.com/

I don't think so. It's a unibody car and Joe Haulers won't work. They don't make one for the Honda Element for the same reason, and the Element is about twice the size of the Fit.