Zoot

Bar 10 Grand Canyon Ride - I really did ride it...

I am just very lazy and take a long time to get pictures up. Anyhoo, I know it's been said already but thanks to Crawdaddy for organizing this. I heard about it last year and put it on my "List of rides I must do at least once." It's now on my "List of rides I must do anytime it comes up if at all humanly possible regardless of deals with the devil etc." And that's a pretty short list :o

I will skip the Primm photos since those have been posted in numerous threads and a picture taken by anyone else is probably better than anything I could point and shoot.

We start our morning in Mesquite with Crawdaddy and KLRoger diligently affixing things to Caitlynn's motorcycle that she may have stuff to tear off in her future dismounts.

DSC00260.JPG

Wayne strolling over looking pretty darn bummed that he has to spend the next couple of days riding around the Grand Canyon, being fed poorly with horrible company.

DSC00262.JPG

Hey, that looks ugly and uninteresting... Let's ride over there.. Umm OK

DSC00261.JPG

I can't tell from the crude sign language but I believe John is saying this is decent scenery and an OK way to spend Spring Break.

DSC00273.JPG

After hauling "spherical objects" across an immense plain we arrived at our first spotting of anything resembling the Grand Canyon. Cut to 15 minutes later with Crawdaddy arriving, and explaining subtly to us the lack of general intelligence of said "spherical object haulers" (CD's daughter Caitlynn was representin and hangin with the haulers). Ya know CD, sometimes ya just have to twist the throttle and marvel at the pretty sights flying by. :huh:

DSC00282.JPG

Don't do it Strega! There's so much to live for! Ahh go ahead as long as I get yer bikes...

DSC00286.JPG

Road hazards abound .. Ummm Moo.

DSC00294.JPG

After arriving at the Bar 10 ( Hideous place)

DSC00350.JPG

DSC00363.JPG

With a tiny front yard

DSC00352.JPG

We rolled on down another 10 miles or so for our first up close and personal with the "Riverview Lookout." Crawdaddy appears seriously stressed doesn't he?

DSC00332.JPG

Yup I was there..

DSC00334.JPG

Um KLRger which way is the Grand Canyon?

DSC00342.JPG

A mandatory "Scenic Intake Beer" later...

DSC00347.JPG

We headed back to the Bar10 for a fry bread taco dinner during which I had to teach a few peeps how to eat enough food to fuel a growing boy for an upcoming day of riding.

At fuel up, Gavin mentions that he wouldn't suggest riding over the mountain to get to Toroweep because last week he was up there with his Jeep and couldn't get through due to 3 foot snow drifts.. Drifts shmifts...

Gnight ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Up and at em the next morning we separate the lollipops from the idiots... I mean brave riders, willing to risk life and limb in the pursuit of.. Heck I don't know.. going over instead of around?

Hey this isn't so bad...Weee!

DSC00377.JPG

DSC00383.JPG

Hey fellers! Smile for a picture as we traverse the cute snow drifts

DSC00379.JPG

Fade now to 20 minutes later as the routes to get through the snow become a bit more creative. Hobiee was the only one to remember to salute me as he rode past

DSC00393.JPG

Wait a minute.. is someone stuck? (Strega)

DSC00394.JPG

Nope.. that isn't stuck... This is stuck (Beez)

DSC00397.JPG

And never to be out done, Strega wins the stuck contest..over and over and over..."Verb this heavy bike" end quote :)

DSC00399.JPG

Hoss dutifully rode sweep around the mountain for us and coined the teams new affiliation as he crested this hill asking if he could ride it from there to a chorus of "NOPE!" San Diego Adventure Walkers is born...

DSC00401.JPG

Well a few wrong turns at Albuquerque and some creative GPS interpretation takes us to about here. Brrrr Gloves Dan gloves!

DSC00403.JPG

We hear some of the "lollipoppers" on the radio but can't really tell what they're saying and suddenly we stumble across a splinter cell of said lollipop gang down viewing the Petroglyphs. If you look closely you can see two KTM's in the picture that we cleverly camaflooogied so that when they came back they would not be able to find their rides.

DSC00405.JPG

Right around now, the idiot with out a jacket wearing only a sweatshirt (moi) is getting wet and cold. Down the hill and a short jaunt over to what must be a sunny, scenic, breathtaking view of the Toroweep lookout. Sunny? Anope. Scenic? Perhaps if it weren't foggy, rainy and wicked chilly. Breathtaking? Absolutely. 3000 feet straight down is 3000fett straight down any way ya slice it. We made it. RAR! Now snap a few pics and let's get our frozen behinds back to the fireplace!

DSC00406.JPG

DSC00409.JPG

DSC00410.JPG

DSC00411.JPG

For the sunny and awesome pics, see the lollipop version. These are just to prove to Cradaddy that we actually rode to Toroweep ;)

Now a quick easy ride through the freezing rain back to Bar 10. Hoss gave me a rain poncho which was the best darn rain poncho I've ever worn! It kept me dry AND served as a superman cape!

The way to the Trumbell School house can be summed up in one word.... MUDMUDMUDMUDMUD with some mud thrown in for fun. What a blast riding along slip sliding if you made even the slightest over correction. I'm sure tehr ewere some hilarious dismounts but we were all concentrating on staying upright so not really doing to much lookin around. However, that isn't to say I didn't participate in the "Drop your bike in the mud" event. Hobiee and I were riding along, me behind him by a decent margin when his bike decide to ride two ruts at once. Hobiee had about enough of that and decided it was time to dismount ( in the middle of the rut I was tracking in behind him. ) He turned, saw me coming straight at him, brakes locked up yet speeding up, and slithered out of the way just before I stress tested his seat with my front tire. To his wife's comment about keeping him safe, I tried to run him over, the dude's just to spry! We arrived at the schoolhouse a bit spread out but none the worse for the wear.

DSC00412.JPG

We made it back to the ranch with one helluva ride under out belts and so many stories to exaggerate it will take months for us to tell them all to everyone :lol:

DSC00374.JPG

Epic, awesome, ride of a life time. Thanks to Chris and EVERYONE who shared the trails with me! Can't wait for the next one!

Thanks guys, I enjoyed the photos.

PS, I like snow but not mud.

Strong Like Bull!!!!!!! Spry like Bobcat when Zoot is coming full boar down the muddy rut right at ya. Helpless like newborn child tryin to pick my now 300+lb mud laden KTM on the mud road :angry: I might still be there for the bbtr guys to laugh at if not for the assist from superman.

Zoot,

Dang Buddy, that is one fine commentary and photographic report.

:angry::)

Hey Chris...where was Dave? Too far back for pics (he,he)? :)

:angry::lol:

Hey Chris...where was Dave? Too far back for pics (he,he)? ;)

You can see him standing behind his quad in the pic below........quadtards are requested to park at the outside of the pack..... :lol::)

I'm confident he'll have a dualsport bike again.....I mean really, how long can he take this abuse? :):o:lol:

DSC00352.JPG

Haha...great pictures!

Holy crap, her account got approved!

WELCOME!!

Wow, what an 'adventure'. Enjoying all the pics and threads, E-N-V-I-O-U-S!

BTW, Quote of the week:

."Verb this heavy bike" end quote rolleyes.gif

Yeah they'll let anyone in here :rolleyes:

Even some dude on four wheels !! Geez, what's the world comin' to??

Hey Chris...where was Dave? Too far back for pics (he,he)? ;)

You can see him standing behind his quad in the pic below........quadtards are requested to park at the outside of the pack..... :):ph34r:

I'm confident he'll have a dualsport bike again.....I mean really, how long can he take this abuse? :lol::o:lol:

I'll just take that shiny bike "next door" and get it dirty ;)

:ph34r::lol:

Hey Chris...where was Dave? Too far back for pics (he,he)? :)

When is your shiny Husky going to get dirty??

:ph34r::)

Hey Chris...where was Dave? Too far back for pics (he,he)? :lol:

When is your shiny Husky going to get dirty??

Hope to fix frozen petock & radiator cross-over line this weekend and go for a street/fire road put around Diamond Valley Res. Bike has been sitting and needs a tank of Super Unleaded and Seafoam run through it. :lol: