piratemonkey

Honda CRF250X

I've been riding a friend's 2004 Honda CRF250X and I've fallen in love with it. I'm thinking about getting my own to add to my stable. Are there any other CRF250 owners who have any specific comments on the different years? I'm eyeing this one in Vegas: http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/mcy/1551045130.html

Or, feel free to talk me out of this purchase. I probably should put more money into sorting out the Husky anyways.

Perhaps you should take a spin on my 450 now that the suspension has been redone.

Get a KDX. :ph34r: take a spin on that one too.

Or, feel free to talk me out of this purchase.

If you just want an unplated/light 250 thrasher for the stickered areas of the local dez & Mex. you can find one locally MUCH cheaper......

BUT

street plate = access..........why even look at a bike without a street plate? (for the type of riding we do)

You sure won't find ME talking you out of a green sticker 250F...

Zina already has the DRZs and the Husky...she has the plated angle covered...

Judging from Zina's bike list, the price is not THAT big of a deal, so pull the trigger...

Thumpertalk may have some more details on the CRFX

Honda makes quality equipment, bikes, generators lawnmowers etc.. I have a 1978 XL250s which I bought new in 1978 ($1200). It is still in great shape because I take care of my equipment. I have used it in the desert and taken it on many trips including one up the coast Highway 101 to San Francisco and back. Altogether I own 9 Hondas. XL185s - 5 Xl250s & r's - 2 XL350rs and 1 XL600R. If you like it and it fits you go for it. Take care of it and it will outlast you.

wanna buy me one? I want one as well...but have no money :ph34r:

I also want your ducati Hypermotard (dream bike!)

wanna buy me one? I want one as well...but have no money :ph34r:

I also want your ducati Hypermotard (dream bike!)

Get a good education first Will. That will help you lead a quality life as well as get a good job and buy the toys you want. I went to three universities full time for 12 years and never regretted a minute of it. It will not only enhance your ability to appreciate life in general but even your motorcycle riding. When I ride it is a Zen meditation experience.

I just paid less for an 06' CRF450X plated in CA with LOTS more add on's.

If you want a plated 250X....I may have a line on one for ya.

Member Marc Brown owns a plated CRF250X

IMAG0001-1-3.jpg

I just paid less for an 06' CRF450X plated in CA with LOTS more add on's.

If you want a plated 250X....I may have a line on one for ya.

Member Marc Brown owns a plated CRF250X

If you know someone who wants to sell a plated CRF250X, do tell...

THE FIRST 2 YEARS OF THE 250X HAD VALVE PROBLEMS. THE VALVES WOULD TIGHTEN UP AND RUIN THE HEAD. YOU MIGHT WANNA CHECK THIS OUT, SEE WHAT YEAR HONDA FIXED IT.

THE FIRST 2 YEARS OF THE 250X HAD VALVE PROBLEMS. THE VALVES WOULD TIGHTEN UP AND RUIN THE HEAD. YOU MIGHT WANNA CHECK THIS OUT, SEE WHAT YEAR HONDA FIXED IT.

That's why you don't see any of the dual exhaust mid 80s XRs around. The heads got pummeled to death on most of them. When I ran my shop in the 80s, I did so many head overhauls on the 200, 250 and 350 models, it wasn't funny. Rocker arms, cams and valves all ruined. I had a 200 at the time and quickly sold it before anything happened to it. By 1987, Honda had to revamp the older engine design to ensure engine longevity. I guess history repeats itself. :)

That's why you don't see any of the dual exhaust mid 80s XRs around. The heads got pummeled to death on most of them. When I ran my shop in the 80s, I did so many head overhauls on the 200, 250 and 350 models, it wasn't funny. Rocker arms, cams and valves all ruined. I had a 200 at the time and quickly sold it before anything happened to it. By 1987, Honda had to revamp the older engine design to ensure engine longevity. I guess history repeats itself. :)

They were very popular in the mid 80s hence more of them around to fix. They were popular with all kinds of riders many of whom knew nothing about cooking oil, overheating etc.. This was also when Honda had the dual carb setup-one for each intake valve- which didn't meet the new EPA standards. They tried leaning out the carbs before going back to a single carb. I have 6 mid 80's Hondas jetted to 84 standards and all in excellent condition.

In 1985 I worked in a service department at a Honda dealership. We had so many Hondas come in for warranty engine overhauls it was unreal. The failure rate of their V four street models (Sabre, Magna, Interceptor) was about 40% for the total amount of machines out on the road. These were valve train related failures also, mostly to do with the cam chain guides and tensioners failing. Upgrades needed to be installed. These were tedious repairs that flagged anywhere from 13 to 16 hours to complete.

The failure rate of their V four street models (Sabre, Magna, Interceptor) was about 40% for the total amount of machines out on the road. These were valve train related failures also, mostly to do with the cam chain guides and tensioners failing. Upgrades needed to be installed.

40% ? Where does this statistic come from. I think they would be out of business if this were true.

Anyway-the topic was the thumper dualsport but since you brought up the V4-

"Chain of events

Within months of the introduction of the VF750 in 1982, customers started complaining about excessive engine noise from rattly cam chains. On opening engines, technicians also noted excessive camshaft wear. A number of minor engine changes ensued, mostly aimed at improving oil flow to the cam boxes. There were also service bulletins changing oil specifications while entreating technicians to be especially vigilant about setting valve clearances. This may have helped some with the cam wear problem, but didn’t resolve cam chain tensioner issues. The fragile tensioners could disintegrate in just a few thousand miles, causing further damage to the top end.

Only the cam-chain models were affected. Gear-drive engines weren’t susceptible to the cam chain/tensioner problems.

Eventually, Honda discovered the real cause of the problem: the camshaft supports (or towers, as they’re often called) were allowing the camshaft to move, compromising the mechanical integrity of the valve train. For the chain-driven models, the camshaft towers were simply milled out to accept the camshaft and fitted with off-the-shelf caps. In the gear-drive models, the towers/caps were assembled and then line bored. A special factory tool to correctly locate the camshaft during valve adjustment made a big difference, but by this time Honda had a new range of in-line fours waiting in the wings, and the V4s were dropped — except for the gear-driven VFR750.

The irony, of course, is that the VFR750 Interceptor went on to be one of the most durable, reliable and sweet running motorcycles ever, and the almost identical VFR800i is still in production 22 years later (now with chain-driven cams, too). It was the basis for the iconic RC30 (VFR750R) production racer and the RC45 (RVF750R) World Superbike contender."

Robert Smith

KM Magazine

The failure rate of their V four street models (Sabre, Magna, Interceptor) was about 40% for the total amount of machines out on the road. These were valve train related failures also, mostly to do with the cam chain guides and tensioners failing. Upgrades needed to be installed.

40% ? Where does this statistic come from. I think they would be out of business if this were true.

My service manager at the time.

Was doing a little research on the bike and came across an excellent euphemism: "energetic disassembly"... ka-boom!

I think I'll have to start a list of euphemisms, in which my contribution will be "spontaneous reconfiguration."

post-1009-1264196698_thumb.png

OK Zina... spill it... where did you get that article?

I know we all want to find what our bikes have lurking in the closet

While digging around I came across this book excerpt: http://tinyurl.com/ycy8nvz

A while back I bought one of his other dirtbike repair books to help me with my basic education. Ultimately (and sadly) the most lasting educations are the ones that actually happen out on the trail!

The more I read about the non-DS dirtbikes, the more I get skert of their high-strung fussiness. Still, there's nothing like a bike 50 lbs lighter than anything else you own to instantly turn you into a superstar...

The more I read about the non-DS dirtbikes, the more I get skert of their high-strung fussiness. Still, there's nothing like a bike 50 lbs lighter than anything else you own to instantly turn you into a superstar...

Tranny and seat height should also be considerations if you're mainly looking for rideability/comfort (to gain that "superstar" sensation) as opposed to power/performance.

My CRF230F is a wide ratio 6 speed with a LOW ~34" seat.......the CRF250X is a wide ratio 5 speed with a HIGH ~37+" seat......both weigh about the same at ~235lbs (dry).......hard to find either with a street plate but you might actually prefer the lower tech/performance of the 230F to the 250X (you'll also find'em cheap if you don't care about the street plate).....you can ride mine anytime.......for that matter, you're also welcome to ride the WR250R anytime......high seat (which can be lowered) and a total pig compared to either Honda.....but a sweet/street legal bike with fuel injection and better suspension than either Honda........

Check out Rick Ramsey's website for info on all three - 250X, 230F, and WR250R

CRF250X - http://rickramsey.net/CRF250X.htm

CRF230F - http://rickramsey.net/CRF230F.htm

WR250R - http://rickramsey.net/WR250R.htm

Tranny and seat height should also be considerations if you're mainly looking for rideability/comfort (to gain that "superstar" sensation) as opposed to power/performance.

My CRF230F is a wide ratio 6 speed with a LOW ~34" seat.......the CRF250X is a wide ratio 5 speed with a HIGH ~37+" seat......both weigh about the same at ~235lbs (dry).......hard to find either with a street plate but you might actually prefer the lower tech/performance of the 230F to the 250X (you'll also find'em cheap if you don't care about the street plate).....you can ride mine anytime.......for that matter, you're also welcome to ride the WR250R anytime......high seat (which can be lowered) and a total pig compared to either Honda.....but a sweet/street legal bike with fuel injection and better suspension than either Honda........

Check out Rick Ramsey's website for info on all three - 250X, 230F, and WR250R

CRF250X - http://rickramsey.net/CRF250X.htm

CRF230F - http://rickramsey.net/CRF230F.htm

WR250R - http://rickramsey.net/WR250R.htm

did i read that correctly????? it says your bike is a heavy

duty tube short of 300 lbs????

did i read that correctly????? it says your bike is a heavy

duty tube short of 300 lbs????

That's correct......the WR250R is NOT light......I'm told it's around ~300lbs wet just as my EXC 520 is probably around ~275lbs wet.......but, as has been said before, the WR carries its weight low.......it feels much lighter than it is.......I don't get hung up on specs.....I go by "feel".......the CRF230X/F are in a different league in the weight dept.......even dualsported they're probably still sub 250lbs wet.......

My son thinks he wants to look for a honda 250 , non plated dirt bike eventually....he's a pretty new rider (newer than myself even but he is a mountain biker and a guy, so he does ok on the kdx's) but he would prefer a 4 stroke for trail riding ....which Honda would be best suited for trail riding, vs. motocross type riding?.

Also, speaking of weight, is there any legitimate weight I can remove from my klx (other than replacing heavy stock pipe, which I have done)?..i.e emissions crap, excuse me stuff, etc.....as it weighs in just over 300 lbs. wet also........I'm getting better so it gets "lighter" the more I ride....I enjoyed it on the Primm Ride....Would you ever take a plated 230 on a ride like that?....

Also, speaking of weight, is there any legitimate weight I can remove from my klx (other than replacing heavy stock pipe, which I have done)?..i.e emissions crap, excuse me stuff, etc.....as it weighs in just over 300 lbs. wet also........I'm getting better so it gets "lighter" the more I ride....I enjoyed it on the Primm Ride....Would you ever take a plated 230 on a ride like that?....

You might be able to trim 5, maybe 10 pounds off but most of it will just get added on somewhere else...hand guards, skid plate, radiator guards, etc. If you want a significantly lighter bike you gotta start with a lighter bike.