SDlineman

Glamis North KOA family adventure

After trying to find a good weekend to try out Glamis North, it turns out that the first weekend in March worked out. I will be there with wife, kids and friends. Looking forward to meeting up with members of the group for the first time. See you all there.

Dave

(from Yuma)

Look forward to meeting you! I'll be in a Kabin, driving a red F150 with white enclosed trailer. Introduce yourself...

Bumping this to keep it on the first page. My son and I are also heading out next Sat. to check out some possible routes if anyone wants to join us.

.......heading out next Sat. to check out some possible routes if anyone wants to join us.......

I saw this listing on their website: http://www.glamisnorthkoa.com/mostpopularrides.html

I'm thinking it would be beneficial for them to not only identify the rides but also host .gpx tracks to each of these various destinations on their website since gps is becoming more and more popular........so maybe we can ride to each area and I'll set up a track file.......oughta be able to use that to barter some free lodging for future trips to the area......Jeff, start the process next weekend if you're GPS equipped :clapping:

That's a great idea, Crawdaddy. And the perfect excuse to replace my broken GPS too. Last time I was there, I got a couple of maps from them that had some coordinates, but they weren't complete and could use an update. My 76cx should be here Wed. Hopefully that will be enough time for me to at least learn the basics on it.

I think I'm going to see if Robert can make it to The Pinnacles on Saturday. It's a lot of miles for him, but it looks like a good portion of it is dirt road, so I think it's do-able. If he can make it on his raptor 80 without too much trouble, it should be a good family ride with a great payoff at the end.

I saw Fakename's write up where he mentioned the Meccacopia / Box Canyon trails, which looks like it connects to Red Canyon trail to make a really fun loop, but I'll have to save that for another time.

.............Fakename's write up where he mentioned the Meccacopia / Box Canyon trails, which looks like it connects to Red Canyon trail to make a really fun loop, but I'll have to save that for another time.....

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

KOA (Coachella Canal Rd.) to Bradshaw (~8)

Bradshaw to Red Canyon (~9)

Red Canyon to Meccacopia (~20)

Meccacopia to Coachella Canal Rd. (~11)

Coachella Canal back to KOA (~18)

Total Loop = ~66 miles

Yes, I've started building a GPS planning file for the area :rolleyes::lol:

Looks like daughter #2 (Caitlynn) may be joining us on this trip.......she's tired of being referred to as "one of my quadtard daughters" :curtsey: ...... hopefully she'll be able to get the time off from work......likewise, she's looking to forward to riding "that cute little bike in the garage".......and no, she wasn't referring to my WR250R :lol: ........she grew up riding 2 stroke/fire breathing Banshee quads at Glamis, and she rode my YZ400 at Glamis once or twice, so the low/light/gutless CRF230F will be easy for her to handle on the trails :) .......she's never ridden a quad or bike with a magic button so that will be a first :o .......might even be able to convince her to go on some dualsport rides once she learns her "street smarts"..... :( ......I'm excited because SHE's excited.......she hasn't ridden much the past few years......

From the ABDSP website:

ATTENTION! - NEW Wildflower Report - February 2010

After a winter of bountiful rain, the desert is poised to burst into

a riot of colorful blossoms. We currently expect a very good bloom.

We estimate that the peak of the bloom will occur between the

beginning of the last week of February and the end

of the second week of March.

Make sure you bring your cameras! I took a ride out there again Monday, guided by a friendly guy named Henry who takes people out for gas money/tips. All the green starting to pop up in the desert really caught my eye, I think there is going to be a really good flower show for us when we go.

Sorry Crawdaddy, but he's already got the GPS track market locked up. He offered to take us all out for a ride or 2, or he can give us some tracks he laid down.

Here's a few pics. Sorry, I am pretty bad about stopping to take a lot.

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMjEtMjAxMDAyMjItMTU1M.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMTktMjAxMDAyMjItMTMwN.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMTItMjAxMDAyMjItMTIwM.jpg

Sorry Crawdaddy, but he's already got the GPS track market locked up. He offered to take us all out for a ride or 2, or he can give us some tracks

Might want to ask him to send tracks to Strega via email so Roger can host tracks on his website

spyder sent a PM asking about a pot luck or get together the first night... introduce the families to each other

any interest from others? We are staying in a cabin, but a toy hauler with chairs set up may be a better plan...

Jeff- so, other than hiring a guide, what is the best way to navigate? Get directions from KOA staff?... download some google earth images? Buy a De Lorme map? what do you suggest?

My wife is going to take one of the days to go to the Outlet Mall near Palm Springs, if any other family members want to plan that...

Anybody else on a radio?

I'll have two radio set ups. Wife will be on one when riding together. Other than those times, avail for loan.

Wife will eval the shopping trip based on activities.

Potluck sounds good for Friday.

Looking forward to this weekend!

kim and i are down with the pot luck as well. Kim says she could be interested in the mall trip as well. Ladies talk amongst yourselves us guys are goin ridin :D

Might want to ask him to send tracks to Strega via email so Roger can host tracks on his website
Jeff- so, other than hiring a guide, what is the best way to navigate? Get directions from KOA staff?... download some google earth images? Buy a De Lorme map? what do you suggest?

I haven't got the email from him yet, but he said he would send some tracks for us to follow. I think that we could get the files there also if he doesn't come through. I've also got the tracks from my ride on Monday, and I can lead a couple of shorter rides that would be interesting and kid-friendly.They also have paper copies of all the tracks that Henry has at the front counter.

spyder sent a PM asking about a pot luck or get together the first night... introduce the families to each other

any interest from others? We are staying in a cabin, but a toy hauler with chairs set up may be a better plan...

I was planning on posting today about a spaghetti dinner at the restaurant one night. They said they could reserve whatever space we needed. I was thinking Saturday night would be better, because I'm not sure what time everyone will be getting there on Friday. If we do decide to go this route, I need a rough head count a couple days in advance. I'm open to the potluck idea instead, if that's what everyone would rather do.

My wife is going to take one of the days to go to the Outlet Mall near Palm Springs, if any other family members want to plan that...

She's not home yet to ask, but I'd bet my wife would like to join her.

Anybody else on a radio?

My son and I will have radios.

Spoke to my wife and we are open to either the pot luck or spaghetti dinner. We will be there as soon as we can check in on Friday and staying until Monday. We will be there along with my son and his wife, and two other couples. All of the guys in my group are dual sporters from San Diego also. Really looking forward to meeting everyone and getting some good rides in.

We will be in this.

516720686_E8jyv-S.jpg

Arriving Friday afternoon. Leaving Sunday afternoon.

Edited:::::: I have no idea what space we are in though. Might be down near the golf course? Potluck sounds fine for Saturday night :::::::::

Sue is going to stay around camp and relax, she has tons of books. If anyone needs anything to read, PLEASE, ask me to bring books! Daughter may be interested in PS?

On the way out, we are stopping to take some pictures of Historical Monuments put up by E Clampus Vitus in various locations. Friday, we would like to make a quick side trip to Niland, Camp Dunlop and Salvation Mountain after setting up camp. Camp Dunlop / Salvation Mountain

Look forward to meeting everyone!

Spyder, Sue, Maranda, Darrell

Books?

I'm not on the first post list...but I'm reserved in the tent area just to the east of the rv's...(can't see dragging the motorhome and trailer just for myself)...I'll throw a bike or two in the truck and arrive friday afternoon..leave sunday late afternoon...

I'm up for the potluck...spyder, I'll pm you my number....dinner saturday too, if that's what's happening...

I'm NOT in for shopping...much rather be riding...desert season is fleeting...I don't however want to slow you guys down if you're doing a fast and or technical kind of day when the kids/ladies shop...I can just do a leisurely, safe ride close by.....no worries...

Tracks would be great if we can get them....

I believe I may have BLM Maps of that area, (have to check if my pile extends that far?)..I know I have USGS quads and will print some out...

Most of my rides will be with my kids...that said, my 13 year can keep up with some adults until it starts getting technical...

Fox- don't worry about slowing down the group- ask rex- you're probably faster than me already

thanks BS....I'm riding every week for the most part, just for the love of it, but it sure helps to get better and faster....sounds like next week will be a bit more leisurely than the dash or primm kind of rides...loved both of those of course...also planning on bringing the 2 stroke ..sounds like less distance needed for most of these rides.

I'm NOT in for shopping...much rather be riding...desert season is fleeting...

Sooooooo, we're getting married when?? ;)

Sooooooo, we're getting married when?? B)

Roger I think you would have to get in line! ;)

Careful Roger, there's something missing here, I haven't figured it out yet. I'm thinking she turns into a werewolf on a full moon or something. Just ain't right! ;) You know the ol adage, "if its too good to be true",,,,

Careful Roger, there's something missing here, I haven't figured it out yet. I'm thinking she turns into a werewolf on a full moon or something. Just ain't right! ;) You know the ol adage, "if its too good to be true",,,,

have you SEEN Strega? where is that butterfield pic? RUN deb

Sooooooo, we're getting married when?? :P

Careful Roger, there's something missing here, I haven't figured it out yet. I'm thinking she turns into a werewolf on a full moon or something. Just ain't right! :lol: You know the ol adage, "if its too good to be true",,,,

have you SEEN Strega? where is that butterfield pic? RUN deb

Too late to run now, looks like she's got him in her crosshairs!

debstregars.jpg