http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=5002&...m=TUC_31-8131_G

never used these tires, but that looks like a good sand tire... any opinions?

I've used 773 fronts out in Glamis........it's a good tire for that purpose but the knobs are pretty widely spaced for trail riding.......good way for you to get even MORE FLATS......always paddled the rear wheel in Glamis

bob, i haven't tried that particular tire, but I tried a few different soft terrain \ sand mud tires. They all hooked up really well in deep sand (superstition), but they weren't that great in other local terrain. Turning in twisty washes etc was difficult with a rear tire that has such good forward traction. at least that was my experience. The fronts track well in sand but the rears are hard to break traction and power around turns. And rocks destroy soft terrain tires not to mention your tubes and rims.

If you are thinking about tires for local desert you might better off using a medium terrain or desert tire. The mid tires work decent at CC\PV too. For straight dunes go paddle.

m404.jpg

Bridgestone 404 is going on the rear for this season. Plenty of open area in the center with a lot of side lugs. Intermediate terrain. Have the 604 Hard Terrain on now (same basic pattern) and it's been a good all around tire. I don't ride fast enough to really tell but I seem to find traction. $63 at Motoworld (even tho the tag says $103)

I think the Motoz Tractionator H/T which Fakey Joliet and myself have used is a good tire

Trac-Desert.gif

I thought the paddle shaped curved lugs in the middle looked like they were designed for sand

Jason- that tire has the lugs fairly close together... air it down, and it will probably be ok in the sand

mimi- that looks like a good sand tire too... same thing... almost a paddle.

The trials tire is coming off the DRZ as soon as I get a chance... I have a knobby to put on, but wouldn't mind having a desert tire in the garage, ready to go on.

The WR did ok in the sand, mainly just because it is a featherweight. I think it would be a lot of fun with a paddle

The Motoz Tractionator desert H/T that I am running are working good in all conditions so far. They are made with a natural rubber compound, they claim that you can run 16 psi in the tires and get the traction and feel of 12 psi in something like a MT21. This should help someone with those pinch flats. Because of the compound, they claim very long life with these tires, on my DRZ the rear is wearing like iron, much better than any tire I have tried. On the rear of the Husky it is not wearing as well. I think they are better suited for bikes under 40 HP. The only negative thing I can say about these tires is that they are non DOT.

:o Oh no ! Not another tire thread! :o

I meant to ask you all too... what brand of oil is best for desert conditions?

Also; shock was having concerns with the power band on his 2 stroke KTM... is his the orange one? Do they have other color power bands available, and which one is best for the desert?

:unsure:

Ah ... Power band replacment, thats somthing I feel is very important.

My favorite is the Purple. Great performance :o:o

Oh this is a tire thread, sorry. I got confused . Best all around desert tire.. D739 AT 120/90-18 Superior traction, decent life. Not sure how they will hold up to a cursed rear wheel :unsure::)

BC

The Motoz enduro tire is not my favorite. Probably good for traction, but not anywhere near as long-wearing as the desert version.

The 3 brothers I rode with today, they were experimenting with tires and the back tires caught my eye. MOTOZ- pronounced motozeeee, the back tires were a 140 tractionator made with 100% natural rubber. Looked great and can be run at low pressure. I think Jaynen posted pics of these.

yes they are sold by Kelly from over at huskycafe and were very much the rage over there a while ago. I can't take credit though since Joliet had them first and Fakename has also run them. They are non DOT (I believe in Australia they are the equivalent so not as much unsafe as just not legal) the first news I heard of them was guys pre-running baja were loving them because of the mileage they got from them and the ability to run higher psi and still get traction. The natural rubber and stuff is their patented terrain compactor technology which allows you to run more air and less chance of pinching. I have actually never run the tires below 16psi but I don't have rim locks. I have been very pleased with them at least and have run both dirt and street with em. but on the road I aired them up to 25, buzzy but i still did 75+ on the highway

Oh and the ones I endorse are the Tractionator H/T's which are their desert tire.

and nobody knows how to pronounce the name. I emailed Kelly once and asked if it were moe-toes or moe-tahs, thinking it was riffing on the Australian "Oz" origin. But he didn't know either.

I like the tires, but think I'll go DOT next time, just because I'm in a ticket-avoidance mode.

Recently I was on Ebay looking around and found a pretty good deal (so I thought) on 2 new tires. Teraflex 150/90-18 AND Michelin HP4 90/90-21 for $99.99 shipped.

I figured what the hell......there are conflicting reviews for everything on the internet.....I may as well try it and come up with my own feelings on the Teraflex.

Funny thing.....this weekend I was going with the "guys" out to Gordon's Well and was planning on playing around on a Razor or a Polaris Ranger. Those fell through and was only able to come up with one diesel John Deere Gator. So, I had the others play in that car and decided to bring my BRP with the new tires on it.

Gotta tell ya.....I was pleasently suprised at how well the Teraflex did out in the sand. Originally, I was only going to ride only the sand highways because of such a big heavy bike in sand and no paddle. But, I started following the guys on their 450's with paddles through the dunes a few times. Next thing you know, there I am ripping through the big bowls on my BRP. I think I was the biggest bike out there this weekend. What a blast!

So anyway.....back to the tire. I noticed when I received the tire it said "made in China" on the side. I remembered the internet reviews about the China tire and the US tire debate. Well.....I think this tire will chunk up in rocks......I have a bit of "chunking" going on from riding on the new canal road that had some rocks. Guess I will have to find a Teraflex made in the US.

For desert and sand riding I've been meaning to try out the Maxxis 6001. It's available in 18" sizes up to a 120/100 and looks "pissed off" or like it'd sling big amounts sand when asked to.

and nobody knows how to pronounce the name. I emailed Kelly once and asked if it were moe-toes or moe-tahs, thinking it was riffing on the Australian "Oz" origin. But he didn't know either.

I like the tires, but think I'll go DOT next time, just because I'm in a ticket-avoidance mode.

I'd be tempted to try the DOT Trials tire if I know for sure I wont be slogging on my knobbies too much but otherwise I will give the 606 and scorpion setup a try

I'm thinking of trying a Tractionator for the rear, anybody know how big I can go on a WR 450? Is bigger better? (we're talking tires here, get your mind out of the gutter.) I want something that will handle the soft stuff at Superstition better, but can stay on for everything else. What's the down side of going with a wider tire?

I meant to ask you all too... what brand of oil is best for desert conditions?

I just did an oil change with some Royal Purple, 2 qt. in my DR and it really makes a differance. A lil on the spendy side but, it runs cooler, seems to just run smoother all together.

Jeff- here's what I think about tires for your bike

Skinnier on trails; your bike will feel lighter and more nimble

Wider in the desert- more planted and bigger contact patch

Paddle for the dunes-

Me? I would rather sacrifice the stability to stay nimble, and avoid the dunes whenever possible.

But I'm a hack- opinions vary

thank you for your support... I personally thought one of the injured parties would make a response first...but you're out of town, surfing the net, so you're probaby just as bored as they are...plan a track day next Monday

thank you for your support... I personally thought one of the injured parties would make a response first...but you're out of town, surfing the net, so you're probaby just as bored as they are...plan a track day next Monday

or flying 100 miles past intended destination.. surfing the net. lol j/k