Crawdaddy

A Terrible Weekend with Crawdaddy and Strega

Has anyone looked into offroad-only routes? I haven't screened the tracks yet.

I put the tracks together......the majority of the terrain on the loops we'll be riding requires a street plate.......you can't ride in Red Rock Canyon, Mtn Springs, Mojave Rd., etc. without one.......there is some non street plated stuff around Primm but it's pretty limited (to the best of my knowledge)......I wouldn't bother to head out there without a street plate......

Extended forecast is now calling for possibility of rain next Wed. (but still nice on the weekend)....that would be AWESOME!!!

http://www.wunderground.com/US/NV/Primm.html

Has anyone looked into offroad-only routes? I haven't screened the tracks yet.

I put the tracks together......the majority of the terrain on the loops we'll be riding requires a street plate.......you can't ride in Red Rock Canyon, Mtn Springs, Mojave Rd., etc. without one.......there is some non street plated stuff around Primm but it's pretty limited (to the best of my knowledge)......I wouldn't bother to head out there without a street plate......

Extended forecast is now calling for possibility of rain next Wed. (but still nice on the weekend)....that would be AWESOME!!!

http://www.wunderground.com/US/NV/Primm.html

Whos got that rain dance thing goin on??????? :unsure:

Set the bike for the Primm ride this weekend....cleaned air filter, changed oil/oil filter, and finished up a few mods:

Mounted the 12o'clock labs rear taillight to replace the stock "boat anchor" license plate holder/tail light......install took all of 2 minutes once I removed all the stock stuff……trick unit with programable "chasing" turn signals integrated into tail light......

Picture011.jpg

Picture014.jpg

I’d been sitting on my rear rack until such time as I was ready to change out the rear light…….so I also installed the rear rack inclusive of the CNC’d insert that Humpty Thumpy made for me to hold a 1 gallon Rotopax gas can.....thanks again Wayne!

Picture015.jpg

I also played around with an old GPR Bar Pad and inserted a metal plate into it to mount my GPS (similar to AKCooper's set-up)......me likely.......big cut-out in the front of the bar pad allows easy access to the GPR control wheel.....thanks for the the idea Aaron!.....I like this set-up better than my RAM mount.....now it’s low and centered.......also found a nice home for my newly acquired SPOT in the map case of the tank bag......set up my "Where's Crawdaddy" tracking page today.......thanks for the inspiration/idea Fakename!

Picture012.jpg

Also mounted some big and Fugly MSR "Hand D-Flectors" (AKA Hippo handguards)…….they look sort of stupid but the combo of these wind shields and heated grips oughta keep my hands warm out in Primm........sure, they're ugly, but they go on and off in 1 minute and to quote Zenosan, "why be a slave to fashion?" (I'd rather keep my hands warm!)........also had some black “Plasti-coat” left over from lining the engine guard……so I used it to spray paint the heat shield/side panels black (Strega would be proud)……

Picture018.jpg

Picture019.jpg

Hoping this sticker gets me additional access :unsure:

Picture013.jpg

Trademark "Crawdad Racing" graphics are due to arrive Wed........might as well have some flash to offset lack of skill (inside joke with kids/friends - Slowest Race team in So. CA. :):( )

wrx25008flamecchfs-1.gif

Sexy Mirrors, Fugly Hand guards. Nice combo

How much fuel are you up to with the tank... 3 or 4.

Gawd!!!!!! those front ailerons are gonna make it easier to wheelie thats for sure :unsure:

so much for the gas mileage! :)

Gawd!!!!!! those front ailerons are gonna make it easier to wheelie thats for sure :unsure:

so much for the gas mileage! :)

That canard is a bit much eh? :(

761865364_uDtBp-L.jpg

761865171_J2eX9-L.jpg

Added Bags in order to maintain my screen name. Also, to stuff all the gear on my back as we leave the lot in the AM. Resorted to pavement testing to check fitment and stay put-it-ness.

Countdown to launch proceeding.

Sexy Mirrors, Fugly Hand guards. Nice combo

How much fuel are you up to with the tank... 3 or 4.

2.9 gallons (stock tank is a massive 1.9 gallons :unsure: .......Rotopax is 1 gallon).....so safe ~150 mile range off road.....not really necessary for this ride.....rode both loops with a quart bottle in my vest when Aaron and I laid out the tracks......

Gawd!!!!!! those front ailerons are gonna make it easier to wheelie thats for sure :)

so much for the gas mileage! :lol:

That canard is a bit much eh? :)

They are pretty hideous.......that's Ok, go ahead and laugh it up now......wouldn't be surprised to see some folks pulled over looking like a bunch of duck hunters blowing into their cold/red hands trying to get the feeling back.......meanwhile, I'll be reaching forward to find the toggle to turn my heated grips to the low setting......too toasty/hot on the high setting :unsure::(:) )

Added Bags in order to maintain my screen name. Also, to stuff all the gear on my back as we leave the lot in the AM.

Are you carrying some gas in your saddlebags (on Sunday)? Does Steve (CaptCham) have a desert tank on his 530?

Added Bags in order to maintain my screen name. Also, to stuff all the gear on my back as we leave the lot in the AM.

Are you carrying some gas in your saddlebags (on Sunday)? Does Steve (CaptCham) have a desert tank on his 530?

Three.2 gallon tank, 120mi to reserve, approx .6 reserve = 140mile range minimum. I've done 140miles on tank. To answer, no, not carrying fuel, I will check will Steve on his plan, can't remember what tank he is running.

When you pass me, please slow down. I don't want to be sucked into the vacuum you'll be leaving behind you.

Dunno about anyone else, but I'm gonna have a hard time focusing on work this week. My mind is already driving north. Thanks again to Chris, Roger, Roger's younger, taller, better looking identical twin and Tracy (& anyone I missed) in advance for all the work on this ride.

One of my first rides with this group was X-Plane last year at this time & it has been a great year of riding, fun & learning. Looking forward to it!

Yeah, I know it's sappy...shaddup!

[Picture012.jpg

Hey Chris --Be carefull with that GPS and that front brake hose. I had a different GPS setup and I thought it was ok, but when riding the hose was snaging my GPS.

Hey Chris --Be carefull with that GPS and that front brake hose. I had a different GPS setup and I thought it was ok, but when riding the hose was snaging my GPS.

Yep, I hear ya and I know what you're talking about.......it looks closer than it actually is in that photo.......it's actually further away from the brake line than it was when I was using a Ram mount......better spot now that it's low and centered......

right there with you TH...got a lot of google earthing to do this week to get familiar with the landmarks!

work is supposed to be busy, but i'll figure something out...already out waiting on the curb!! :lol:

bought a OGIO vest yest(*xmas FBC card)..so a little more ready.

Blind...needs coffee B)

FYI,

A decent route map will be available to everyone, especially for those who would like diversify their navigation beyond GPS or just want to see the big picture. The map is not zoomed in very close because it covers both ride loops (1:290,000 on a 11x17 sheet), but will be helpful placing landmarks, tracking ride progress and / or planning bail routes.

What Sneeker failed to mention, being as humble as he is, that HE is the one that made the maps. They are SWEET!!

I had them printed the other day, and they are very nice :lol:

FYI,

A decent route map will be available to everyone, especially for those who would like diversify their navigation beyond GPS or just want to see the big picture. The map is not zoomed in very close (1:290,000) because it covers both ride loops, but will be helpful placing landmarks, tracking ride progress and / or planning bail routes.

Put me down for one. I have a gps but there is nothing like a hard copy map and a lensatic compass. B)

Ref: Dept of the Army FM 21-26 Map Reading

Mine is dated Jan 1969- :lol:

Sneeker,

Thanks for the Map. I Love Maps!

Strega and Crawdaddy,

Thanks for the GPS Routes and Waypoints.

Downloaded (gdb) today, Well Done!

Huge thanks to everyone that has contributed in making this happen. I'm a map person too, so can't wait to get my hands on a paper map; hell I'll probably frame it when I get home ^_^ .

Work is out of control this week, and won't be able to sneak out until 4pm at the earliest on Friday and no later than 5pm, but the bike has been stripped down, prepped, put back together and is all ready to go now.

Is it Friday yet? :lol:

Huge thanks to everyone that has contributed in making this happen. I'm a map person too, so can't wait to get my hands on a paper map; hell I'll probably frame it when I get home ^_^ .

Work is out of control this week, and won't be able to sneak out until 4pm at the earliest on Friday and no later than 5pm, but the bike has been stripped down, prepped, put back together and is all ready to go now.

Is it Friday yet? :lol:

I've laminated a few, if you want one to keep, let me know. They look really damn cool, Sneeker really did a great job with them.

Crawdaddy got me real concerned saying it was cold. And after seeing his hand guards, I decided I needed to do something on my own. This is what I came up with in the short amount of time I had available. So as you can see in my quest to be super cool like crawdaddy, I think I'm on my way.

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac5/Hobiee73/DSC00521.jpg

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac5/Hobiee73/DSC00520.jpg

I don't care who ya are, that's funny right there ^_^

Crawdaddy got me real concerned saying it was cold. And after seeing his hand guards, I decided I needed to do something on my own. This is what I came up with in the short amount of time I had available. So as you can see in my quest to be super cool like crawdaddy, I think I'm on my way.

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac5/Hobiee73/DSC00521.jpg

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac5/Hobiee73/DSC00520.jpg