Crawdaddy

Another Big Dog Trip Report =

The Big Dog is in the process of posting another trip report on his website.......he's ridden/owned many bikes.......and he's ridden many trips covering big miles..........but it sounds like he rarely rides anything but his WR250R these days . :o ......I give his evaluation of the bike a lot of credence because his riding style/mission statement seems similar to mine :blink:

http://www.bigdogadventures.com/SORColorado.htm

Are you going to let me try out the 950 Super Enduro when you get it?? :)

I'm leaning towards going the other way......I think this Grand Canyon trip may be the swan song for the 620..........which is another bike I really love........but if I unload both the Superhawk and the 620 I can pick up a WR250R and set it up pretty much the same way Big Dog set up his WR250R........I'm intrigued by the little Yamaha for all the same reasons Mark mentions on his webpage.........the saying, "There's no replacement for displacement" may apply to street bikes/cars.......but I'm leaning heavily towards the "Less is More" philosophy when considering my next ADV bike.........I'd still have my 520 for desert/dunes/knarly rides, etc.

Mark (Big Dog) and I have exchanged a few e-mails over years.......dropped him a line last night asking if he was still sold on the WR250R after riding it for a year.......pasted in his reponse below......

> > Absolutely still sold---I'm on my way home now from a *3,000

> > adventure ride thru Colorado, Utah, Wyoming and Idaho*--the story

> > will be on my website in about a week or 2----wait for that---you'll know lots more !!!

Jaynen is happy with his WR250R, I've been having a blast just goofing around on the CRF230F, and I need a bike I can put-put around on when I ride with Kathy (the 620/520 aren't as well suited for lollipop rides as the WR250R).......

I know Zenosan and SoCalHodaka will back me up on this one - sometimes less IS more B):)

Yeah I don't care for some of his mods either. I want to send my seat back to be reworked again it packed down too much and then I still would like to do suspension on my bike but thats about it. Well I would not object to trying the thumperracing 280cc kit but I am still not happy with the "quietest" options for aftermarket pipes

Rick Ramsey sold his TE310 and moved on to a WR250R which he documented on his webpage a couple of weeks ago.......I like some of his mods......a few are a bit over the top IMHO.

http://www.rickramsey.net/WR250R.htm

I don't get what he found better with that bike over his TE310. Unless he was worried the Pasta Pilot might borrow it. :unsure:

Rick Ramsey sold his TE310 and moved on to a WR250R which he documented on his webpage a couple of weeks ago.......I like some of his mods......a few are a bit over the top IMHO.

http://www.rickramsey.net/WR250R.htm

I don't get what he found better with that bike over his TE310. Unless he was worried the Pasta Pilot might borrow it. :unsure:

He may have just read all the favorable reviews of the WR250R and decided he was ready for a change (and needed to sell a toy to buy a toy......I can relate to that scenario)......or he perhaps he didn't care for the 5 speed/close ratio gear box.......or he may have been further enticed by the maintenance intervals, fuel economy, and 6 speed/wide ratio tranny on the WR250R.......who knows......

That was VERY cool of you to let Pasta borrow your bike way back when............speaking of borrowing bikes, Jayen was nice enough to let me borrow his bike for the weekend so I can make my own "hands on" evaluation of this litttle Yamaha I've become so intrigued with.......thanks Jason!.........I was going to wait until Saturday to ride it but now I'm thinking I may ride it into work tomorrow....after all, the mission I have in mind for this bike would be ADV use in addition to riding around with the family and running to the store......so I might as well check out its road manners and take a spin through Elfin Forest tomorrow morning..... B):)

I know Ramsey had a 610 (here) Did he set up a 310 as an adventure bike as well?

Yes, he seems to do a lot of the same mods to all his bikes.....

Picked up Jason's bike last night and decided to get my personal WR250R evaluation underway this morning......rode the little Yamaha to work (~32 miles of paved back roads)……….rolling it out of the garage my first impression was that this bike is heavier than I would like but obviously lighter/lower/more manageable than my 620…………once moving it feels very light/flickable……..ergo’s felt a bit cramped “to me” but I’m also used to riding bigger/higher bikes………ergos could probably be easily rectified with a set of handlebar risers and by adjusting sag/suspension for my weight (Jason weighs 170 and I weigh 235)…….now to the “meat of the matter”………pleasantly surprised that it’s not as gutless as I had expected it to be with my fat ass on board……..no problem getting right up to ~60mph+ and the bike was NOT straining or wound out at ~60mph+ ………it feels like it could cruise along at ~60mph+ all day and I didn't notice much feedback through the seat/bars in terms of vibration……..5th and 6th gears have nothing (as expected).....some underwhelming but “good enough” snap can be found in the lower gears…….speedo is a joke…….reads ~15% high (I had my GPS on the bars for comparison)……….shifts VERY smoothly between gears/neutral…...I really like the buttery smooth tranny……dirt test will come this weekend......

I've been meaning to look at bar risers or new bars as It's not the best position for me when standing. Also thought about some better pegs.

The speedo is weird because its done in the transmission instead of on the wheel so gearing changes as well as tires throw it off. Another thing I have been meaning to get is the speedo fixer from 12oclock labs

Just back from a 160 mile WR250R demo ride (thanks to Jaynen) with Bagster, DigDug, and my friend Sean - I'm NOT a MX rider.....I'm NOT a racer.......I'm just an older guy that likes to trail ride and the little Yami seems more than capable of tackling everything "I" would throw at it for ADV AND Dualsport - might have problems at Glamis or Sand Dam but that's about it...........I went into this eval/test ride thinking I'd only be looking at the little Yami as a replacement for my 620 ADV, but after today's ride I'm ready to let go of both KTMs to generate some much needed cash and change things up a bit in my stable (and reduce the size of my stable)........frankly, I had so much fun on the little bike that I just don't think I'd ride the other bikes much if I bought a used WR250R so I figure I might as well sell'em to generate some cash for the toy exchange (I can’t afford to stockpile bikes like Zenosan and SoCal Hodaka……Daddy's personal rule - must sell toys to buy toys……unloaded my EXC 400 and scuba gear last fall to buy the 620……that’s how I’m forced to roll in these economic times…..no cash out of pocket)........

If I was a younger/more aggressive rider I’d probably scoff at the notion of letting go of the other bikes to pick up a small/newer bike……and I know the little Yami is heavier than my 520 but it "feels" lighter than it is and it's more fun (for me) to ride than either KTM due to the "small" feel, smooth power delivery, low seat height, etc......granted, the little Yami isn't as sexy as my Superhawk, 620 ADV, 520 EXC…………it’s just a simple/gutless little dirt bike with a motor that you can’t even hear……but these days I’m looking for functionality, ease of riding, ease of maintenance - NOT sex appeal……I think there IS a "replacement for displacement" despite the popular saying to the contrary....

I was intrigued by the little Yami based on all the reviews I've read.......yesterday's commute to work and today's ADV/Dualsport ride sealed the deal (for me/my riding style)......I can honestly say that I had more fun riding a slow bike fast than I have riding my various fast bikes slow!

I'm all in - see sig line below......I'll post up more info later on all the mods to the 520 I'm selling ($3500 or $3700 with extra/paddled wheel complete with sprocket/rotor). Strega has already claimed first dibs on the 620.

Well- I think you're crazy for considering touring on a bike like that.

So crazy I bought a used seat pan and ordered a wide, flat seat for the Mighty KTM. I'll borrow Brent's saddlebags (like that? Salesman call it a presumptive close) and head out. Off to SF on the side roads. Economics demand I run what I brung, at least for now.

Thanks for the inspiration.

I've been meaning to look at bar risers or new bars as It's not the best position for me when standing. Also thought about some better pegs.

The speedo is weird because its done in the transmission instead of on the wheel so gearing changes as well as tires throw it off. Another thing I have been meaning to get is the speedo fixer from 12oclock labs

I wouldnt bother changing pegs....they're fine.....but I would suggest getting rid of the stock mirrors.....they stick out too far and are just asking to be whapped by bushes/trees along the sides of the trail.......I had to 're-spin" them a few times this afternooon........you might want to invest in some folding mirrors so you can just bend 'em down when out on the trail......

There is something extra fun about pressing a small bike to over perform. Running a small bike fast. I tested the KLX 250S and loved it. I have not been able to compare it to the Yamaha 250. I am curious.

Beezzz

C-didy thanks for reminding me about the Te310 close gear ratio. I had honestly forgotten about that! I wasn’t trying to be a smart donkey for once and I really didn’t see what the big advantage was.

I don’t see why you couldn’t dualsport on the WR250R and I could see Adventure Riding with it. I’m not sure it could do the beach to river run because of the dunes. I’d like to see your report on that ride. I don’t think doing the whole TAT would be as fun on that bike as it would on the 620 ADV. Sometimes bigger is good.

Humpty and I did the WestFest trip on big bikes. Yes I wouldn’t be able to ride that bike on tight single track. But I think that is just a matter of rider skill. Randy, Dig Doug or Humpty would be able to ride most of the trails we came across. Even I was able to do every trail we tried, I had to be helped on one trail, but that was just a bad day for me. If I had taken a different line I don’t thing it would have been a problem. But the bigger bike really ate up the road miles.

Anyway I can see where you are coming from but I still am not convinced this is the one bike for adventure / dual-sport. But what do I know? ;)

About Pasta Pilot, he is an alright guy. It’s just he has something against Italian bikes. If he can’t break it he throws it off a cliff. WTF? B)

C-didy thanks for reminding me about the Te310 close gear ratio. I had honestly forgotten about that! I wasn’t trying to be a smart donkey for once and I really didn’t see what the big advantage was.

I don’t see why you couldn’t dualsport on the WR250R and I could see Adventure Riding with it. I’m not sure it could do the beach to river run because of the dunes. I’d like to see your report on that ride. I don’t think doing the whole TAT would be as fun on that bike as it would on the 620 ADV. Sometimes bigger is good.

Humpty and I did the WestFest trip on big bikes. Yes I wouldn’t be able to ride that bike on tight single track. But I think that is just a matter of rider skill. Randy, Dig Doug or Humpty would be able to ride most of the trails we came across. Even I was able to do every trail we tried, I had to be helped on one trail, but that was just a bad day for me. If I had taken a different line I don’t thing it would have been a problem. But the bigger bike really ate up the road miles.

Anyway I can see where you are coming from but I still am not convinced this is the one bike for adventure / dual-sport. But what do I know? ;)

About Pasta Pilot, he is an alright guy. It’s just he has something against Italian bikes. If he can’t break it he throws it off a cliff. WTF? B)

There are always going to be compromises made when you try to "do it all" with one sled.....that's why many of us have multiple bikes for different missions (myself included)......I wish I had the financial wherewithal to just snag a WR250R and keep all my other bikes……I just can’t swing it financially……..I’ve had many great rides/memories with my KTMs…….love’em but ready to move on to a new chapter without taking on any add’l debt……so I’ll let them go without a heavy heart because they’ll be funding the next toy………

I’m really amazed by the road manners of this little bike at speed on the highway…….when you cruise along at 60+ the engine is NOT under stress and the feedback to the rider is minimal ……I would have no second thoughts about taking it on the ~1200 mile spin around the Grand Canyon that Roger and I just completed….or even something longer……MUCH longer (though I think I would invest in a Renazco seat/bar risers/high bend bars before tackling big miles/multiple days)…………with fuel injection, oil changes at ~3K, valves at ~26K, etc. it’s practically maintenance free yet it’s still small and FUN to ride…… THAT’s the real beauty…….3 gallons will take you ~180+ miles and once there you can drop your saddlebags at camp and tear it up ANY terrain…….plenty of posts on ADVrider from guys who have taken these little bikes on LONG trips without issue…….Big Dog just got back from a ~2K+ trip and some other guy posted about just returning from a ~6K trip…….BIG miles/Big Smiles…….on a small bike….

Not an ideal ride to charge up Blow Sand at Rock-o-tillo Smells and I wouldn't even attempt China Wall at Glamis……ok, no BFD, been there/ridden that a thousand times......no tears.......….the positives FAR outweigh the negatives.......

Beach to River? - bring it! :lol:

you looked like you were having a blast on the little bike.

It was nice to meet you, i finsined the day with 263 miles added to it.

I great ride,

next time you plan a ride out there i would love to join ya

you looked like you were having a blast

Likewise, nice to meet you guys at Black Canyon Bridge......from there we went around Sutherland Dam, up to Wynola, down to Rodriguez/Rodriguez Spur, up S2 to 78, 78 to Grapevine/Jasper/Culp, down to Borrego Springs for lunch/gas......back up Culp/Jasper/Grapevine in the other direction over to S22, back to 79/76/Mesa Grande/Black Canyon/Santa Isabel TT/Ramona......fun day indeed!

It is Just Not Fair...

To watch Chris have that much fun on the little Blue Bike. We have all had that feeling. You know, 15yrs old, wishing on a bike to ride. He has "that" look. Riding behind Chris most of the day, he was having no trouble enjoying the bike the over very varied terrain. Hard, soft, tight, wide, up and down. The only issue people have with a 250 is, Can it pull the load. It looked to me it pulled Chris' "load" pretty well all day. Pulling Montezuma Grade up from Borrego Springs, he appeared to be carrying 55mph consistent, enough to have be concerned with my traction chasing him on the 690. Mix the good times Chris is having with the low cost of entry and you have a Done Deal.

Like I said, it is just not fair.

Dave

P.S. Good times with the crew on the ride.

684496508_oD3Zb-L.jpg

Off to SF on the side roads.

That's a ~1K mile loop round trip.....riding solo?......dirt and paved I assume? Have FUN!

That's a ~1K mile loop round trip.....riding solo?......dirt and paved I assume? Have FUN!

All Right Chris!!

Glad to see you getting old like me. Time to go back to your roots and stay there from now on.

I did that San Francisco Loop trip back in the 80's on my 79 Honda XL250s. Took 3 days and had a blast. Still have the bike. ;)

Don

Dunno, not yet planned, hoping to talk you into going. If anyone knows the dirt roads, I'd be much obliged for some routing info. SD-SF was an old standby for me when riding street bikes. Nacimiento-Fergusen road, Cerro Noroeste, Frazier Park, and Hwy 25, Peach Tree, Indian, etc.

Better order a bigger front sprocket.

I could use a good, long ride right now.

Glad you enjoyed the bike! She's definitely a keeper. I need to send that seat back and have it toned up again I did not want to wait for a Renazco so I had these guys redo my stock one

http://cyclesolutionsllc.com/

But the foam they used compressed too much so I need more foam in it, It was awesome the first ride I did on it (the all american KTM memorial one)

I shipped tires to a college kid who just rode the TAT from the East Coast to Colorado and back on his WRR

I do want to change the mirrors I usually remove the right one for dual sporting, but the stock ones work well on the highway so I never bothered.

I am still curious about if there would be a way to get the wind protection but have a smaller windscreen because I don't think I could live at highway speeds without having the screen, with it its just my own buns and hands that are the limits to how long I can ride.

I forgot to tell you I have a class on Monday nights so if you want to bring it by my brother will be here or you can just hold onto her a little longer ;)

I am no super experience rider, I am barely to the point where I think I am semi competent in most situations and I am certainly not "fast" but its been fun to see myself get faster on rides and not be the slowest guy (of course the slower guys have 30 years on me and are usually riding even bigger bikes like BMWs or KLRs)

Ive ridden it on the highway at 70+mph for thousands of miles commuting

Ive ridden it on the 200 mile Barstow ride which was long for me

Ive ridden it on multiple dual sport/fire road pavement rides even with "street" tires

and Ive ridden it at Occotillo and Gorman on real off road situations and really it does everything I can make it do.

Fakey I know there is loads and loads of stuff N of SF out toward Fort Bragg and Eureka but I am not personally familiar with any of it

Fakey I know there is loads and loads of stuff N of SF out toward Fort Bragg and Eureka but I am not personally familiar with any of it

Yes- as well as off Hwy 49 in the gold country. Trying to find some adventure rides closer to home. Maybe Angeles or east thereof. But I want to GO somewhere and SEE something. Getting burnt on CC and Lark. Should the economy ever revive for my business, I'll get a smaller bike for those activities. And the track.

Paul- I hear you on the Corral/Lark burnout...good thing the desert is still there...

Re-geared the XRL and it is more relaxed at hiway speeds...doubt I can swing another multi-day trip, but post up when you have plans