dirt dame

It's about time to start planning

100_0978.jpg

The trip up to Troy Meadows was one of the most memorable vacations that I have ever taken. I hope to make this an annual event for as long as I can. So I think that it's time to start kicking around the idea of the Second Annual Troy Meadows ride, maybe for around the same time as last year which was the middle of July. And I hope it's rainy again. :unsure:

And for those of you who don't remember or haven't seen the write up from last years epic adventure, here's the link:

http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.p...hl=troy+meadows

How many miles away or how many hours. Is my toybox legal there at 40ft. I am interested and can take 4 bit trailer can sleep like###2 california kings, 3 doubles and 1 queen some peeps can double bunk on the kings :unsure: I will give dirt dame the queens quarters up front for privacy.

How many miles away or how many hours. Is my toybox legal there at 40ft. I am interested and can take 4 bit trailer can sleep like###2 california kings, 3 doubles and 1 queen some peeps can double bunk on the kings :huh: I will give dirt dame the queens quarters up front for privacy.

It is a 225 mile drive up there (5-6 hours). Nine mile road will be sort of a bleep in a rig that size, as it is alll paved but really full of tight curves, but it is doable. There were some pretty large rigs parked further back in the free camping overflow campgrounds. Your rig wouldn't fit in the pay-to-camp campgrounds, but we don't go there, anyway. :lol: And thanks for the offer. :unsure:

OK- rather than challenge my google-fu

day time temps? B)

night time temps? :lol:

green AND red sticker? :huh:

re-jet? how severe? (yeah; it will be different for each bike, and you smartasses with FI can shut it...) :unsure:

by smartasses, I believe I am only seaking to Jon and Jason... ;)

I would like to join, on the WR... something I can actually lift

I love this area. My favorite place to ride in Califonia but July would be out for me. August would be doable though.

OK- rather than challenge my google-fu

day time temps? B)

night time temps? :lol:

green AND red sticker? :huh:

re-jet? how severe? (yeah; it will be different for each bike, and you smartasses with FI can shut it...) :unsure:

by smartasses, I believe I am only seaking to Jon and Jason... ;)

I would like to join, on the WR... something I can actually lift

Day temps were about 70s last year, but would be in the 80s if it isn't rainy weather,

Night temps were in the 50s

All color stickers all year long. Licensed bikes give you a better range and easier bailouts if needed.

I didn't rejet my two stroke KTM last year, but elevations are 7500 ft at camp to nearly 10,000 ft on some of the highest trail passes. Some people did rejet.

Is this the Kennedy Meadows area?

Sherman Pass road, Fish Creek and Troy Meadows campgrounds. 395 to Nine Mile Road to Sherman Pass. Kern river is on the way in to the camping area. Trout fishing is supposed to be good. I want to try fishing the river this year. It is in the Cannell ranger district.

I'm in. Probably rough it with a tent and a campstove

I'm in. Probably rough it with a tent and a campstove

from what I understand about most of these guys, "roughing" it in a tent is probably more comfortable than sharing a toy hauler...

I will bring up my enclosed trailer, and have a quiet evening... somebody needs to pick some days... week days is better for me, but I'll move stuff around...

Sounds like fun, I'd like to go, depending on my work situation. Carpool anyone? hehe

Sounds like fun, I'd like to go, depending on my work situation. Carpool anyone? hehe

Last year, five out of six of us went up in one truck.

On the way back it was three in each vehicle, as half of the group came back one day earlier than the other half.

I can take 3 plus me thats 4. I will take vacation days so weekday is fine.

Weekdays are the best. Smaller crowd of people up there and not too many rangers nosing around. :unsure:

The kern river is one of my favorite places in so cal...yes, trout fishing, and they stock it I think a couple times every week...there are several dispersed camping areas and it is just pick a spot at least 20 feet from the waters edge ...pretty awesome......I know the river and the open camping areas pretty well,(as well as a rock slide that is a short hike from the road about 30 minutes from the dam at the north end of the river..... BUT,...I've always wanted to, but never really explored the platuea, or been up to ride there..so..if at all doable, I really want to go....let me know when that might be.... d

I would like to go in June, August and September. I can't do July this year. I can only do midweek.

Daytime highs at camp were 70s and 80s. Lows were probaly 50s. There was one thunderstorm that dumped hail and that afternoon and night were much cooler than the rest.

I rejetted the XR while up there. I simply reinstalled the stock jets and turned the fuel screw a few times to lean it out more. It seemed to work well. I won't be worrying about that archaic nonsense this year :)

If contemplating a bike to bring I'd do the plated bike, but both would work. There are a ton of trails to ride up there but only 2 or 3 to get you out of camp and they go on for a few miles. It's not bad but like dame said it's a great bailout option. After 6 hours of riding rocky technical singletrack and suviving the heat, elvation, cliff exposure, boiling gasoline, thunderstorms, running out of water an hour ago, it's nice to get on the road and put on back to camp.

The Schwinn Inne should be able to get up there. The road from the East is twisty and one lane in a few areas. There were a few mega buses with 30' trailers at the camp. They may have come in the the west though. You may want to call the local ranger office for info or recommendations.

Definetely excited to go up there. There are a few trails I gotta ride with Digdug again. Rincon trail from Lake Isabella to the Widerness area and then back up the hill to camp. I'd estimate about 45 miles of insane singletrack. C'mon Doug, hire a petsitter!

I am very interested. Are the quad trails easy enough for an 8 year old on a 50? I'd like to take my family if there are even just a few trails we could explore. We are going on a 11 or 12 day trip in our trailer in June, but I'm sure by late July or August we would be ready to go again.

Rincon trail from Lake Isabella to the Widerness area and then back up the hill to camp.

Yeah baby! Not for the faint of heart!

We did an adopt a trail on the Rincon through KTMtalk region II a few years ago on the Rincon. Re-routed and saved the trail by PackSaddle cave by cutting in switchbacks. The next day we rode the trail from Rincon camp to the road crossing at the South end then turned around and rode it back the other way to the wilderness area. I slept well that night.

sounds neat. I have all summer off! I have a large overhead camper. Can fit bike in back.

Weekdays are the best. Smaller crowd of people up there and not too many rangers nosing around. :)

ditto on weekdays. :angry:

I am very interested. Are the quad trails easy enough for an 8 year old on a 50? I'd like to take my family if there are even just a few trails we could explore. We are going on a 11 or 12 day trip in our trailer in June, but I'm sure by late July or August we would be ready to go again.

I think that most of the trails out there are too narrow for quads. I don't remember any quads up there while we were there.

A few votes for midweek, including me. June or August? What works for most peeps? I want the rainiest month of the summer up there.

How many days midweek or we talking a midweek overlap? I really loved the pics and stuff from the ride last year it looks amazing

How many days midweek or we talking a midweek overlap? I really loved the pics and stuff from the ride last year it looks amazing

Last year, I think we drove up on a Tuesday morning, then three of us came back on a Friday while the other three came back on Saturday. If you come up in your own vehicle you can set your own time tables. Three days is about the limit for most people to want to ride everyday. I would think that the trip would last about three or four days.