paulmbowers

Trail rules

OK, I found this that I stole from this webpage.

1. Always know where the rider behind you is.

2. Always know if you are the last rider. (#1 & #2 may have to be replaced by the Lead & Caboose if everyone in the group can't follow rules #1 & #2)

3. Intersections that "obviously" go straight can be assumed that the group went straight.

4. Intersections that turn or fork you must wait there until the next rider sees that you make the turn.

5. Never assume the rider behind you saw you make the turn, if you are not absolutely sure, hand signal to them & don't go on until you see them hand signal back! (Instead of #4 & #5 there is the "Cornerperson Concept" the 2nd rider waits at each turn & points to the rest of the riders which direction to turn & we leapfrog 2nd position)

6. Use "common sense" on long sections without any turns, stop every once in a while & make sure you hear the rider behind you. Even though they might not know you are there at least you know where they are.

7. If it is apparent the next rider is not coming, go back to the last known point of a complete group & wait there for at least 1/2 hour. Ride carefully back at a crawl pace to avoid a head-on & be prepared to jump off the track for the next rider coming through. If you can't get back together as a group go into the search & rescue mode.

8. Signal opposing riders (both 2 & 4 wheelers) with hand signals holding up fingers as to how may riders are behind you. (this will require that you know how many riders are in your group and what position you are)

9. SLOW DOWN to a crawl when approaching pedestrians, bicyclist, campers, residents, etc. (you never know if they might have kids or pets that you might run over if you are going too fast) Kill your motor for equestrians so you don't spook their horses & injure the rider. (Lot's of respect is gained this way)

10. Stay OFF of the trail when waiting for your group to get back together!

11. If you get lost, stuck, broke-down, hurt, etc., stop & wait there we will find you.

12. Never take off from the group without letting someone in the group know, this could cause a catastrophe!

13. Don't follow too close, just like on the street. If you hit the guy in front of you it IS your fault! I always hear "well he cut in front of me" In my opinion don't be behind him then, we're not in a race here, go to a track for that.

14. Ride until you have 1/2 a tank of gas left, then turn around and go back.

15. Don't go down something that you can't go back up unless you know where it goes.

16. Carry essentials

17. Don't keep riding around the staging areas, go out away from things to ride.

18. Use radios & GPS devices. I can't tell you how important I think these two devices can be, we have the technology let's learn how to use it. With a radio and GPS you can give someone else your coordinates & they can come directly to your exact location & usually within minutes!

Additions? Subtractions? Observations?

fn

LEFT TURN

Raise your left arm horizontal with your elbow fully extended.

RIGHT TURN

Raise your left arm horizontal with your elbow bent 90 degrees vertically.

HAZARD

Extend your arm at a 45 degree angle and point towards the hazard or point at it with your foot.

SPEED UP

Raise your left arm up and down with your index finger extended upward. This indicates the leader wants to speed up.

SLOW DOWN

Extend your left arm at a 45 degree angle and move your hand up and down.

STOP

Extend your left arm at a 45 degree angle with the palm of your hand facing rearward or left arm out bent 90 deg at the elbow with a clenched fist.

SINGLE FILE

Position your left hand over your helmet with your fingers extended upward. This indicates the leader wants the group in a single file formation. Usually this is done for safety reasons. (Think chicken head here)

TICKED OFF

Extend your left arm straight out with your elbow bent 90 degrees. Carefully extend your middle finger to clearly demonstrate your dissatisfaction with the other guy. NOTE: It is not recommended you do this when you are alone.

For riding in a group: (when you have oncoming traffic)

If you had 4 riders... first holds up 3 fingers, 2nd holds up 2, 3rd holds up 1, 4th holds up closed fist. This lets the people passing you know how many are in your group and to WATCH OUT.

I was absolutely kidding... anybody want to give examples of me (and many others) waiting and helping out?

I have one... it's that old chesnut about a boy and his helicopter...

Bottom line is, we always ride out together (not necessarily on a bike...we've ridden out in helicopters, the back of trucks, ambulances, riding pillion, etc.) ; nobody is left behind, and nobody is going to die...

Look forward to riding with you slosher (I hope I can keep up)

I cant keep up, i dont want to die!! Does this mean i cant come anymore rides..

:)

Bikeslut is crackin wise 99% of the time, it's all in good fun. Ride with him ONE time, and you'll see the humor in about 3 minutes :)

/hijack off

13. Don't follow too close, just like on the street. If you hit the guy in front of you it IS your fault! I always hear "well he cut in front of me" In my opinion don't be behind him then, we're not in a race here, go to a track for that.

fn

Hey these are good – thanks for posting’em

From my observations/experiences I’d say a lack of adherence to #13 causes a lot of problems on big group rides…….I know some folks say they prefer to ride close to keep the dust down but it seems “to me” that tailgating off-road just creates a needless safety hazard……..I’d prefer to space out along the trail rather than bunch up (we’re on motorcycles not bicycles so the time delay between the first and last rider isn’t that great even when the group is well spaced out)……..I believe that approach heightens everyone’s enjoyment level since they’re not blinded by the dust of the rider in front of them or stressing out about the rider close behind them……no one wants to hinder a better rider from riding at his/her preferred pace…..likewise, no one wants to be “speed bumped” if they make a mistake and someone is following too close behind to avoid hitting them

Everyone has an idea where they belong in the general scheme of things…….talk it out a bit before you begin so you know, and others know, in general terms what your comfort level is and where you belong in the pace line once you’re underway…….then, as you’re riding throughout the day, the natural progression of the group will shake out…….if you do hear a faster rider approaching from your same group, or another group, slow down (DO NOT STOP), move over to the side of the trail when it’s safe to do so, and wave’em by with your left arm/hand…….

fn

Hey these are good – thanks for posting’em

From my observations/experiences I’d say a lack of adherence to #13 causes a lot of problems on big group rides…….I know some folks say they prefer to ride close to keep the dust down but it seems “to me” that tailgating off-road just creates a needless safety hazard……..I’d prefer to space out along the trail rather than bunch up (we’re on motorcycles not bicycles so the time delay between the first and last rider isn’t that great even when the group is well spaced out)……..I believe that approach heightens everyone’s enjoyment level since they’re not blinded by the dust of the rider in front of them or stressing out about the rider close behind them……no one wants to hinder a better rider from riding at his/her preferred pace…..likewise, no one wants to be “speed bumped” if they make a mistake and someone is following too close behind to avoid hitting them

Everyone has an idea where they belong in the general scheme of things…….talk it out a bit before you begin so you know, and others know, in general terms what your comfort level is and where you belong in the pace line once you’re underway…….then, as you’re riding throughout the day, the natural progression of the group will shake out…….if you do hear a faster rider approaching from your same group, or another group, slow down (DO NOT STOP), move over to the side of the trail when it’s safe to do so, and wave’em by with your let arm/hand…….

I think this is the best way to sort out rides anyway... if somebody is on my tail, I let them pass.

I know some people think I'm a tailgater (gator?) but i have never hit anybody... sshhh... I like riding close, and but well within my meager skill set...

anyway... if the rider sort themselves by speed, it makes each person wait less at intersections...

IF Laurie is swayed by Paul's e-mail, I am SO IN... tntmo; I can drive... I can actually take 3 people/bikes total, or 4 if we want to take the trailer (in which case I'd drop about 10 miles per gallon)

We wouldn't go anywhere if i followed 15 ;p

13 is important but hard sometimes even I as a noobie find myself tailgating on certain sections because I want to improve my riding ability and to do that I feel like i need a slightly faster pace. I try to be very consciencous(sp) as when I ride with my wife I am always paranoid of her getting hurt

#14 throw out, common sense or ya know a gas station is out there somewhere :)

# 15 bike slut :) love ya man

# 9 super important, we dont need more enemies. Rancho Sante Fe is super close to my house cuz I live on Del Dios Hwy I cut thru there alot when riding to the coast, and there are horse trails along side the road and when they hear me coming they pull the reigns in tight cuz the horse starts to spook, I pull in my clutch and kill the engine immediatly and coast by and I get waves and smiles when I go by.

I like the list of trail rules, and for the most part relate all of them to general common sence. I belive that #13 is the most prudent of all. At my house we have a mini sx track. I ended up t-boning my good friend and sending him to the hospital. All beacuse I was riding right on his rear fender. We are both very talented riders and had ridden many times on trails and tracks in the same manner. I now have a whole different attitude when ridding with a group or on a play day at the track. I think each one of us need to evaluate each ride for its participants, and location. Some of my personal desert rides with friends are done not as a "single line " ride, but more like a 100 yard wide cross country tour! This will only work if everone stays with at least one other rider, and everone knows the area well. often we have new people join and they have to tag along with one of the more experienced riders. The general rule of thumb has always been use common sence, prepare for anything, always lookout for the slower riders no matter what level of rider you are, stop and take a head count often and be a good trail steward.... and make sure to throw roost when ever possible!

Thats all I have to say about that!

B.C.

Ah yes! The time honored tradition of roost' those closest to you... I have had the pleasure of being rooster often, as a result of my bikeslutting...

Rule #1, a good one. That one night ride we took, (where I got a black eye) I thought Jeff was right behind me at the refreshment stop, but I didn't pay enough attention (and it was another KTM rider that I thought was Jeff) and then was worried when he didn't show up at the road. He was back in the canyon having electrical problems and couldn't get his bike started. Luckily there were other people back there with him who helped him out. I have to admit, night riding makes it all the harder to keep track of people, though.

Long time ago I did a night ride with some buddies and we had glow sticks tied to the zipper's on our camel backs. I had 2 green, Jason had 1 green 1 yellow, Mark had 2 yellow, etc etc. That worked very well since I knew I had to keep track of the double yellow glow stick rider, since it was hard to tell in the dark many times.

Long time ago I did a night ride with some buddies and we had glow sticks tied to the zipper's on our camel backs. I had 2 green, Jason had 1 green 1 yellow, Mark had 2 yellow, etc etc. That worked very well since I knew I had to keep track of the double yellow glow stick rider, since it was hard to tell in the dark many times.

That's a really great idea, but would be a little harder to do when there a 15 riders or so in the group. Still it would be perfect in a small group.

All one color glow stick for any group might work as you'll probably be the only one's. Two for leader?

Funny/sad thing is the troops my son-in-law was training in Afganistan came up with this idea for night missions as "A" squad kept mixing with "B" squad, etc. The squad leader had four glow sticks on his helmet and off they went, each with their own stick on their helmet. The American troops stayed about 100 yards back and laid fire into the ambush that was inevidentible. Jaaaaeeeeeezzzz! ;)

Hijack off.

Another tricky subject (bounced from the X15 thread) is group selection. It's pretty hard for a lot of us to know where we fit. It's not just speed, but attitude and values. Some folks like to ride hard and fast the entire time. Others will ride hard and fast, and make many stops at viewpoints, or just to enjoy each other's company. Still others want to ride slowly and carefully, placing a premium on remaining upright and seeing the scenery. ANd I've seen some difficult rides posted as easy. Sure, it's easy if you're a solid rider, but a beginner sees "easy" and thinks its well- easy. Same as an easy pace- I've been on rides advertised as an easy pace and spent my time struggling- it was a bad match.

I believe all these are perfectly fine options. The only issue is when the styles are mixed together. Nobody wants to leave a slower (just for the record, I often include myself in this category- I'm always slower than someone) rider behind - but the slower riders need to understand that they can and should choose their groups carefully, and not depend on the kindness of other riders. It is a shared responsibility. This week, I've had a series of very unpleasant emails with a very angry SDAR member about these situations. I'd like to avoid these in the future.

Trail etiquette is difficult, if not impossible, if the goals of the members of the group are strongly diverse. In last year's Barstow/Ridgecrest, I was riding with a fairly hardcore group of 4, all connected by radios, and all ready to rip and roll with few if any stops along the way. I'm the slowest of the bunch, but rarely more than 60 seconds behind.

Shortly before the start, I was approached by another rider (no, not an SDAR member) with whom I'd ridden in the past. Nice guy, competent, but unlikely to hang with the rest of this particular group- he wanted to ride with us. It's a very awkward situation- I like the guy, and I want him to have a safe and enjoyable ride, but realize it's not a good fit. I'm not terribly elitist, but how to say no without being a pig?

On the other hand, this rider should have been prepared to ride alone, or arrive with a buddy of similar abilities.

I guess my point is that ride etiquette is important- we all agree- but so is group selection. With the X15 looming, it might be a good time to send IM's flying and get matched up. Doing so will help everyone have a ride exactly the way they like it.

fn

Rider matching is important. I have posted rides that I say are easy and scenic, and have had hardcore riders show up for the event. I always wonder why they are there. I guess they just want some company or something. I just don't want them to be bored, or as in one case, try to persuade other people in the group to ride something over their skill or comfort zone.

Great suggestion FN. The few rides I've been on have had the dynamics you & Mimi mentioned. It's worked out but pre-arranging would be helpful. I wish I had the bike to make the X-Plane ride....still working thru the DMV mess on the WR with my fingers crossed.

With larger groups, 5 or more, a riders meeting is a good idea to sort out logistics and remind everyone about trail etiquette. keep up or die is ok at CC but not in the Mojave. Usually it is mentioned that this is not a race but a trail ride and everyone is encouraged to ride at their own pace. What happens to one of us happens to all of us, flats, broken body parts, air lifts !

With larger groups, 5 or more, a riders meeting is a good idea to sort out logistics and remind everyone about trail etiquette. keep up or die is ok at CC but not in the Mojave. Usually it is mentioned that this is not a race but a trail ride and everyone is encouraged to ride at their own pace. What happens to one of us happens to all of us, flats, broken body parts, air lifts !

You have my vote.

I have done many "family rides" that included quads, dune buggies etc.. Leaving someone stranded is not cool. Chris may sound like a tough task master but he cut short his planned route when I blew a tube on a Palomar mountain ride with him and Wayne. Both went way out of their way to help me get up and running again and stayed with me on the ride back home. Probably because they didn't trust my other 24 year old tube and bike.

I plan to stay with the larger group even if we do not make the whole route. There is safety in numbers.

Don