paulmbowers

Radios and bike-to-bike com systems

Finally pulled the trigger on the Baofeng radio and the Rugged radio in helmet setup. Worked flawlessly at the Dash.

Buy in to get on board with this setup is right around $250 and is money well spent. Not only does it enhance the whole riding experience it really is a key safety component.

My only complaint with the radio is the lack of a 12v charging setup. I picked up an adapter that goes to the base charger for 12v that is suppose to work but am afraid to try it. Its output is 12v and the stock wall mount output is 10v. I'm searching for a 10v plug setup but even if I find one, I will still have to carry the base around to charge the radio on the trail.

Finally pulled the trigger on the Baofeng radio and the Rugged radio in helmet setup. Worked flawlessly at the Dash.

Buy in to get on board with this setup is right around $250 and is money well spent. Not only does it enhance the whole riding experience it really is a key safety component.

My only complaint with the radio is the lack of a 12v charging setup. I picked up an adapter that goes to the base charger for 12v that is suppose to work but am afraid to try it. Its output is 12v and the stock wall mount output is 10v. I'm searching for a 10v plug setup but even if I find one, I will still have to carry the base around to charge the radio on the trail.

I picked up an inexpensive 12v setup that actually replaces the battery with a hard wired version. I've tried it out and it works perfectly in the tank bag. Search amazon for it.

Repair attempt upcoming. Gotta remember to plug that thing in!!

Cut both, solder and insulate. Test

DSCN1370_1000w-L.jpg

DSCN1371_1000w-L.jpg

I hate to tell you but that's a relabeled Baufeng UV5R. $33 on Amazon.

Has anybody tried the cable and program for the Yaesu on the BaoFeng?

The cables are different, no idea if the program would work. If someone wants to lend me their BaoFeng & cable I can see if my FTB270 program will talk to it.

The cables are different but the hardware is the same. You could make an adapter cable but frankly the cables are so cheap it's not worth the effort. You can use Chirp to program the Baufeng. I think it will work with the FT-270 as well however I use a different program. Chirp is free. It's a little quirky but gets the job done. I have the cables for both radios if you need help. Download Chirp here:

chirp.danplanet.com\projects\chirp

I have the cable for the Baofeng but have no idea what its for. I just set the freq, locked the keypad, and was good to go. You do have to go in and change the value or whatever its called to get the thing to adjust with the right decimal point to get there.

On a side note I just ran the thing in Baja for three full days and still had plenty of battery left when I got home.

You obviously weren't riding with Bowers :laughingsmiley:

Thats true,,, I was riding with the Kugs and we werent very chatty.

Randy.

Call sign = VertiBro

Thats true,,, I was riding with the Kugs and we werent very chatty.

No time to talk just ride.My battery on the Yashu needed some charging though .

The Baofeng cable is similar to Kenwood products. Chirp works great, with the quirks, and has a direct plug in to the repeater directories. The program actually gives you access to more of the features that the radio has that are otherwise a pain to get to through he touch pad.

I just got my Baofeng in day before yesterday. I don't know why I didn't buy one of these initially instead of going witht he FDC radios. By the way I've got a few Fidexian Corporation radios up for grabs to whoever wants them. 2 UHF and one VHF. Only problem is I only have one antenna for the three. But they'll be free and antennas are cheap.