spazegun2213

Who here has DS/MX bikes?

Alright, since you all are my local captive audience I figured I'd ask. Who here has a smaller (say 250-550cc) Dual sport or dirt bike? 

I ask because I'm kinda looking for a 450EXC or a drz400 to strap to the back of my Jeep and take places (although having never owned one, I don't know any "places" to go, lol). I go to south west CO 3-4 times a year and it would be fun to take that and explore out there as well. My requirement would be something street legal so I can ride it to the store, and between trails, etc. Its also something I can bolt a set of SM wheels up to and take to Apex/Adams, or take out of the 94 should I want. 

So, who here has one and how do you like it? 

For reference I also have a Tiger 800xrx, and maybe I should just stick some TKC80's on that and enjoy. 

I have a DRZ 400 that thinks it's a Kawasaki. KLX 400. i love it. almost no maintenance and sometimes you can find them cheep! they are a little technically dated, but i find that to be a good thing. once the jetting is sorted they never give you problems.

51 minutes ago, ECDave said:

I have a DRZ 400 that thinks it's a Kawasaki. KLX 400. i love it. almost no maintenance and sometimes you can find them cheep! they are a little technically dated, but i find that to be a good thing. once the jetting is sorted they never give you problems.

I had a DRZ400sm for a while and it was a ton of fun. But it was my only bike, and sucked commuting. 

I had a DRZ400 and still sort of miss it. I used to refer to it as a "spork bike" because it absolutely embodies the 'Jack of all trades, master of none' ethic. The bike does not do anything particularly well, but will do nearly anything you ask it to, whether that is a road trip to Alaska, desert singletrack, or supermoto on a kart track. The bikes are incredibly reliable and while not nearly as powerful as others are much more forgiving when it comes to deferred maintenance. Ultimately once I figured out riding dirt was what primarily interested me the better power, suspension, and lighter weight of the WR450 won me over but I still think fondly of my and my wife's DRZs. 

I have a Yamaha 2002 TTR 250 that’s plated and enjoy it thoroughly. My 2004 KTM 525 that has been down for way too long, but it’s a whole lot better at freeway speed.. The Yamaha does 65 mph, but feels real comfortable cruising at 50-55 much better. I always say that the Yamaha puts a smile on my face, and the KTM keeps it there😁

Comparing the DRZ, and Exc I’ll presume, you’re gonna have less weight and maybe a kick starter, 6 speeds, but shorter maintenance intervals with the KTM. 
Good luck with your quest👍
6577F485-A76A-454D-AF40-A60920CBCB70.thumb.jpeg.931fa25201e51d2e74d43c10f9878aca.jpeg
98C8837F-5838-4D68-9504-595BD0487EC3.thumb.jpeg.1418e37ed40a166d7a2d01c22ac76ecd.jpeg

I’ve got a 09 Yamaha XT250. It’s a great bike for tooling around. Great low end grunt. I think 09 was,the last year of the carb before FI. The carb is finicky. I’d suggest FI. It’s NOT a good bike to take on the Highway. Currently it’s down needing a carb clean/rebuild. It also has electric start.

I have a Beta 300 RR (2 strokes), a KTM 450 SFX and an eletric trials bike (EM Epure Race).

I ride the Beta and the trials bike the most, but still love to get the big bike dirty!

Not plated but I have a CRF250R and a ktm 300XCW (soon to be plated)

• Like 1

500 EXC  All you'll ever need.  It'll walk thru the singletrack or do 95 on the freeway.  I've had zero issues with mine thru almost 10,000 miles 994135920_IMG_3581(1).thumb.jpg.988c4ec4675329e06ad3f3a79301cc0e.jpg

Yo Spaze, I reread your bio - sounds like you're new to dirt riding so realistically Any bike will be great fun. Comes down to budget, need for speed and attitude/approach.

A DRZ400 SM could be a great bike and the dirt wheels are easy to find used or on ebay.  I had one for years before focusing on a more dirt specific performance bike but still have plenty of great memories of the DRZ.

Any dirtbike with streety tires on the 21/18 wheelset will rip on the twisties - the 17/17 sumo wheels are fun but not necessary to have a great time.

Fuel injection is nice for high elevations but not Necessary especially for a couple rides a year.

Always remember, Buying a new bike is always more fun than selling one!