Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
robertaccio

Garmin zūmo® XT anyone using this?

Recommended Posts

All the GPS rides I have ever been on, which are quite a few. With me never having the unit, but watching the lead GPS guy.....they never can see the device in the sun, we always had to stop and stop and stop to get dialed in . So I have always shunned the logic of using the moto mounted units mostly due to never seeing the screen from light exposure and small size. I want to set up the unit and go go go .

I have large touch screen top tier Garmin experience from our fishing vessel, so I know how good the systems can be.

Now with this latest Zumo set up I may splurge for the unit for my 1999 TE610 DS project, I will mount perfectly on the odometer (unused ) bracket low and center between the headlight shroud and handlebars sort of out of harms way. 

So has anyone splurged for one of these state of the art new models? I have watched a bunch of tests and user reports from Romania to SoCal. Sounds like a real winner for 98% of functions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Zumo series has a fatal flaw if you are riding with tracks in that it will not store\display saved tracks. Tracks are the method most offroad users use to navigate. IMO the new Garmin Montana 700 or the Montana 610 would be better for backcountry trail use. I have no issues seeing my 610 in the sunlight.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the Montana610T and have no problem to see the screen in sunlight. My problem is the setup, streeteble Maps and guiding me. I gave up after 2 weeks playing with it. I know , its operator error.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All of of guys I normally ride with are on their old iphones or Kyocera duraforce pro off eBay using gaia pro zero use garmin now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Garmin 610 for me. Tried the phone as gps. It is ok but not great. 610 is easier to see in sun. Phone is hard to see, and goes dim in heat. Primary is 610. Use phone as secondary aid. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wow brilliant thank you all for the inputs. The storing of tracks is utmost important! Yes the preset tracks are for sure needed. Its odd about that because the seaborne units do have preset course loading available...however; I was the one that loaded them, so really they were not handed to me from anyone like when we do a preset plan ride. I will look at the Montana series units, and as I am in research mode I spotted some of my friends are using the Montana series up in Utah right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, robertaccio said:

wow brilliant thank you all for the inputs. The storing of tracks is utmost important! Yes the preset tracks are for sure needed. Its odd about that because the seaborne units do have preset course loading available...however; I was the one that loaded them, so really they were not handed to me from anyone like when we do a preset plan ride. I will look at the Montana series units, and as I am in research mode I spotted some of my friends are using the Montana series up in Utah right now.

Ironically I have one for sale in flea market, if you want to try one out to see if this is the right choice for you that can be arranged, i never got to try one so just bought it and never ended up meeting my needs (were are weird but we dont talk about that).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, robertaccio said:

wow brilliant thank you all for the inputs. The storing of tracks is utmost important! Yes the preset tracks are for sure needed. Its odd about that because the seaborne units do have preset course loading available...however; I was the one that loaded them, so really they were not handed to me from anyone like when we do a preset plan ride. I will look at the Montana series units, and as I am in research mode I spotted some of my friends are using the Montana series up in Utah right now.

Don't count out the heavy duty phone (Duraforce) as a gps unit. It is a much cheaper solution and some guys swear by it. There are a couple of big threads on this forum in this topic (GPS Stuff) all about the hardware, software, and about using them. I prefer the very rugged Garmin 610 and it's companion software Base Camp, but I do like the much larger offerings of maps from the phone based apps. Particularly GAIA. The phone just isn't designed like the purpose built Garmin unit, but is nice to have in the back pocket...for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO regarding maps, and people who stop on the trails, it's because either didn't zoom in close enough when making a track (.gpx/.kml file), so it's hard to see a trail head when looking for single tracks because it looks like a straight line of connect the dots.. You can make a quick track in 5 minutes, but when going on single track rides, you need to be zoomed in when creating tracks.This will take about a little more time, as it'll be more detailed. Always ask to get a file emailed, and download it.

That is why before a ride and going on a ride, I always ask for .gpx/.kml file so I can download it on Google Earth first and see if it needs altering, to not miss trail heads. Plus if you have .gpx/.kml file you can always download to your phone if you have an app, and find your way out too.

Now regarding Garmin unit to a Smartphone,to me it's a no brainer. Smartphone. Make tracks, share tracks, use the web, use Google Earth, use email, as long as you have hotspot or Wfi. 1/4 of the cost.

The biggest negative to a smartphone, is it is not user friendly at first when using apps. If you are not tech savy, it will take two weeks. I also recommend getting an app, your group uses. I always recommend when learning a smartphone with an app, just leave it in your car, and use it driving around town. Can mess around with it daily till you get the hang of it.

Positive is the size, can't compare. Here is my Garmin Montana 650 vs Kyocera DuraForce Pro. Way better to read and see. These both have California Trail Map installed.

Also let me say, I do not ride on the road, I ride primarily offroad and single tracks. Will take a road if I have to interlink, but try to stay off asphalt for my tires sake. lol

YljvAdY.jpg

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup love my Kyocera, Robert if you wanna borrow mine and play around with gaia let me know can take it for a week or two.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone recognize the units that Paul is using for Romaniacs (or better said what Romaniacs crew are giving to all the riders to use?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My question was answered on the rulebook page of 2020 Romaniacs event, so it is open to the following based on rider preference.

 

Allowed Garmin GPS

Competitors can choose any GPS from the list below but we prefer those GPS which have USB connector.

Colorado Series: 300, 400c, 400i, 400t

Dakota Series: 10, 20

 

 

eTrex Series: 
Touch 25, 35
10, 20, 20x, 30, 30x, 35t
Legend C, CX, H, HCX
Summit HC
Venture CX, HC
Vista C, CX, H, HCX

Foretrex Series: 101, 201, 301, 401

Geko Series: 201, 301

GPS Series: GPS 60

GPSMap Series:
60, 60 C, 60 CSX, 60 CX
62, 62 S, 62 SC, 62 ST, 62 STC,
64, 64 S, 64ST
76 C, 76 CS, 76 CSX, 76 CX
78, 78 S, 78 SC
276 C, 376 C, 378, 478 

Montana Series: 600, 610, 650, 650 T, 680

Monterra Series: 010-01065-00, 010-01065-03

Nüvi Series: 500, 550

Oregon Series:  
 200, 300, 400 C, 400 i, 400 T, 450, 450 T
 550, 550 T, 600, 600 T, 650, 650 T, 700, 750

Rino Series: 520, 530, 610, 650, 520 HCX, 530 HCX, 655 T 

Zumo Series: 220, 340LM, 550, 590LM, 660, 665

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I notice they allow the Zumo series. Thinking they may use custom maps vs tracks. I use custom maps that I create from tracks when we do a big group ride. Makes life much simpler. Custom maps in Garmin format (.img) will work on a Zumo but to my knowledge tracks will not. It would kind of make sense that they use custom maps as they cannot be edited by the end user unlike a track file that can be edited.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/20/2020 at 11:01 AM, PbdBlue said:

The Zumo series has a fatal flaw if you are riding with tracks in that it will not store\display saved tracks. Tracks are the method most offroad users use to navigate. IMO the new Garmin Montana 700 or the Montana 610 would be better for backcountry trail use. I have no issues seeing my 610 in the sunlight.

Randy, the XT is brand new. And I believe it uses both tracks and routes. It is not like the previous Zumo units. 

Robert, there are a couple guys on Flying Monkeys that just got these units within the last couple weeks. So far the input has been positive. I'm seriously consider one myself. Extra bright screen 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Oracle said:

Randy, the XT is brand new. And I believe it uses both tracks and routes. It is not like the previous Zumo units. 

Robert, there are a couple guys on Flying Monkeys that just got these units within the last couple weeks. So far the input has been positive. I'm seriously consider one myself. Extra bright screen 

When I look at the specs and the manual there's no mention of track storage\management. The Montana 700 series for example lists:

image.png.d4b5ae9681be640e9dace53f8147c29e.png

 

In the Zumo XT Specs there's no listing for track capacity so I'm assuming it's like every other Zumo in that regard. The Zumo series is not traditionally off-road oriented.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/20/2020 at 2:18 PM, Bp619 said:

All of of guys I normally ride with are on their old iphones or Kyocera duraforce pro off eBay using gaia pro zero use garmin now

BP,  Are you saying that your crew went back Gamin as primary device.?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Bagstr said:

BP,  Are you saying that your crew went back Gamin as primary device.?

No, none of us use garmin all app phone based mostly gaia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2020 at 6:52 AM, PbdBlue said:

When I look at the specs and the manual there's no mention of track storage\management. The Montana 700 series for example lists:

image.png.d4b5ae9681be640e9dace53f8147c29e.png

 

In the Zumo XT Specs there's no listing for track capacity so I'm assuming it's like every other Zumo in that regard. The Zumo series is not traditionally off-road oriented.

About 2/3rds the way down on the left side of the page, there's a bullet point on managing tracks and routes. Maybe I'm wrong, you are definitely way ahead of me in GPS technical knowledge.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/679804#overview

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting discussion here with much knowledge being thrown around. Any of these devices will and all have drawbacks.

Garmin really dropped the ball with the design of the 700i power converter. You need another Ram mount to hold the darn brick.

Randy, have you seen one of these installed under a seat ( off-road )?    My headlight area is already too full.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Oracle said:

About 2/3rds the way down on the left side of the page, there's a bullet point on managing tracks and routes. Maybe I'm wrong, you are definitely way ahead of me in GPS technical knowledge.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/679804#overview

Hmm,.... maybe? Interesting that they don't list in the specs. Wonder what the capacity is or can you only transfer 1 gpx file at a time? Need to put my hands one to check it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Bagstr said:

Interesting discussion here with much knowledge being thrown around. Any of these devices will and all have drawbacks.

Garmin really dropped the ball with the design of the 700i power converter. You need another Ram mount to hold the darn brick.

Randy, have you seen one of these installed under a seat ( off-road )?    My headlight area is already too full.

Looking at the install instructions for the mount I don't see a power brick. Where did you see that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see that now. Yeah that is a bit inconvenient though I understand why they did it that way. Moving to 5 volt usb is pretty much the standard currently. They could have done a better job on the packaging. With the Moto Minded Super Mount I'm running it's not an issue. One could probably make a bracket behind the GPS to hold the brick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The XT bears investigation.  The power cord appears to plug in directly to the gps, another mount may work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×