Bp619

Phone based gps help!

I like the looks of that mount, Mike. Let me know asap what you think when you get it.

Also, I'll note that I always try to have two forms of retention, usually a tether of sorts, with everything I pack on my bike; GPS, phone, tool bags, etc. Tethering a phone is problematic so what I do is take industrial strength velcro with a tape backing and apply one side to the back of the phone and one side to the mount. Just throwing this out as a suggestion.

Yes I agree. I have plenty of Industrial velcro. I was going to add the velcro on the mount and the back of the phone as I believe it will tighten the phone in the cradle.  I will see about adding  a rubber/ silicone band if it wont interfere with the buttons. Unfortunately the mount will take a while to get here. 

The Mob Armor mount came today.  First impressions are light and heavy duty. When I mounted the phone in the mount is was good, but I could move the phone in the top of the mount with some force.  There was no button interference. In the original design the metal tab on top is just bent with a 45 deg angle. I did not like it. I took it to the vise and straightened and put a small bend like the lower mounting tabs. Rock solid! It does not move. A little velcro like Loren suggests just for peace of mind and good to go.

mount.thumb.jpg.504df73a9a4526ae0d6d772287048ace.jpgmount1.thumb.jpg.74d2331d13dab5c717fb220b695046fc.jpg

Bending that top mount point was key. I would have done exactly the same thing. 

The mount the Jim posted above looks really nice. I sent them a message to see if they have a 1" ball mount option

18 minutes ago, Crawdaddy said:

LB/Mike, you have me thinking very seriously about snagging a used phone......

It really seems to be the wave of the future. The price of entry is what makes it reasonable to try.