350thumper

Yamaha XT clutch rebuild

After a torturous uphill in Campo last week, my clutch felt Wierd and could barely take off .

image.png

So i figured I would rinseit off and have a look.

image.jpeg

After hitting it with the hose, it looked easier to work on .

image.jpeg

Once on the lift I took off the foot pegs and brake lever and brake switch and drained the oil.started taking off the clutch cover bolts.

image.jpeg

Finally open, i noticed tranny was in good shape.

image.jpeg

So I soaked my EBC clutch plates in high performance oil( the cheap stuff from Yamaha).

image.jpeg

Also measured the new plates .

image.jpeg

Once the pressure plate was off I could see the old friction discs were prematurely worn out by rotella motor oil. Never use diesel truck motor oil in your motorcycle trans . Here is why.

image.jpeg

Replaced with new discs in the order that is on the microfishe at the factory, after making sure friction plates werent burnt or glazed.

image.jpeg

After getting in the new EBC plates, I reassembled the clutch basket evenly tightening the bolts to the recommended torque.

image.jpeg

At this point I wanted only OEM parts for seals and gaskets  from Yamaha.

image.jpeg

Here in the clutch cover you can see there are a few gaskets and seals need replacing before replacing the cover .

image.jpeg

Here you can see the oil check ball seAt got replaced. That holds the oil in the resivior .

image.jpeg

Next the crankshaft seal . Came out pretty easy and was about 32 yrs old . Happy to replace that.

image.jpeg

The old Kick starter seal had been leaking for some good amount of time.

image.jpeg

So I popped that out with an old screwdriver gently .

image.jpeg

And replaced it with a new one . By hand I pressed it back in evenly. Looking much better .

image.jpeg

Put on the new gasket after cleaning off the old one .

time consuming to prep the gasket surface but worth it . You can see how clean the new gasket is. 

image.jpeg

Almost done here . Anything I'm forgetting? Oh ya , replaced the oil filter and new o rings on the filter cap. Before adding 20-50 Yamalube hi performance motorcycle oil.

image.jpeg

Put back on all the levers and foot peg and brake switch .  Checked for leaks and opened the oil pressure check by to check for oil pressure and done . No oil leaks clutch works awesome.

image.jpeg

Thanks for following along , hope this helps anybody on the Virge of clutch service.

Now it's time for a test ride .

bye.

image.jpeg

Why do you think the Rotella caused premature wear?  And why did it get put in anyway (I'm not bagging on you, just wondering if that was suggested somewhere as a good idea when in fact it wasn't!). 

I rode my BRP to work yesterday (great day for a bike ride!) and will need to pull the carb (kept stalling out; I suspect crap from letting it sit all summer) and may check some other stuff and change oil as well.  Am interested in this as I will file it with my other info regarding this bike.

Great write up and pics!!

Oil is like religion and politics.....you like yours, I like mine, and I won't try to convince anyone that their choice is incorrect. 

YMMV, but I've always run Rotella-T in all my bikes without any abnormal clutch wear.  I think it's recommended by Rekluse for their auto clutch?

Great question. 

The answer is friction reducers. Rotella or any conventional oil uses friction reducers.

The wet clutch on this bike uses friction to operate . I wouldn't want to soak my new friction discs in friction reducers.causes them to get mushy and disintegrate like in the pic.  Putting the extra demand on the clutch made it obvious like in the first pic.

I normally go with what Yamaha factory recommends , the previous owner had put it in. No worries just clutch plates. 

Hey seemecringe, let's hook up some trails. 

Using Rotella for 20+ years and never had a Clutch burned. Take your fingers off the lever when riding (Its not a 2 stroke). Change gearing if it is to long in the first gears. Working the Clutch will wear the plates.

I prefer the oil from Dollar Tree. Especially since I change it every 500 hours. 

Hooray, it's an oil thread now!

Is this the place we discuss tires and Trump?

Not your fault.

We mess with Thumper every chance we get.

6 hours ago, Mr.JAJA said:

Using Rotella for 20+ years and never had a Clutch burned. Take your fingers off the lever when riding (Its not a 2 stroke). Change gearing if it is to long in the first gears. Working the Clutch will wear the plates.

My 31 year old two stroke KDX 200 has gone through more than a dozen pistons, one cylinder replate, two crank rebuilds and still has all of the original clutch assembly in it....except for the throw out bearing.  That has been replaced twice.

33 minutes ago, Ken S said:

Not your fault.

We mess with Thumper every chance we get.

OK; cool, I feel better now.

I spend a bit of time on an old Jeep page (Jeepster Commando Club of America) to learn about my old Jeeps, and also on Diesel Place to keep up on my Duramax.  Like this site, there are lots of folks smarter than me that I can learn from!  When I see something that sounds like sound advice I like to question why. 

Still kinda new here and don't know all the players (every site has them!).  I'm sure if I stick around long enough I'll figure it out......

Did you guys smoke your breakefasst ?

If you own a KTM it doesn't matter what kinda oil you use, because No amount of oil is gonna teach you how to ride.

i thought rednecks only bought rotella because its easier to steer the family shopping cart down the automotive isle at WAL-MART to get oil , then it is to argue with the wife about shopping at Motoworld.

and sorry Hillary didnt get elected, i hope that doesnt spoil your plans.

im glad you guys are awake, was afraid nobody would pay attention to my boring post.

Maxxis Desert IT is the optimum rear tire for rock and sand.

The Cubs are NOT my World Series champions!

Hope to run with you guys one day; looks like a good bunch.  Sarcasm is my middle name; I may just fit in.......

10 hours ago, 350thumper said:

Hey seemecringe, let's hook up some trails. 

I like the idea; just gotta find the time!  I work way too much and don't get to ride as much as I'd like.  Been on 2 wheels for 40 years now, so ain't a noob, but ain't no pro either. Hope to get more active and ride more soon, just not sure when that is!  The goal in the coming year is to try to find more time to ride, surf and golf; maybe not in that order!

7 hours ago, simicrintz said:

don't get to ride as much as I'd like.

just cut out the golf to make room. problem solved.

Don't get to do any of the mentioned items currently :(  Told Mama I'd run hard until I'm 60 (just turned 57, so not to far to go!) with work and then try to slow down and do some of that stuff.  If I can hit a few goals and finish a few projects early I may be able to move that time line up however, and that's the goal!

Golf is too expensive and takes too much time, so the bike and surf should occupy the first two spots in terms of priority!