Beezzz

Jeep, towing 3 rail moto trailer, question of stability

I have a Jeep 2015 two door and I am considering towing a 2 or 3 bike moto trailer. How stable will it be? Bikes: (2) 450lb each, (1) 300 lb. Any trailer brand preferences.

Mines a 2011(small motor) and only haul 2 bikes at a time and it does fine, no problems. Built the trailer myself but it does take a toll on the brakes on the jeep

Yes brakes are going to be your issue

Probably. Legally you do not need trailer brakes on a utility trailer in CA if it's under 3000#. I don't know if you can get brakes on a 3 rail trailer but if so you can go with surge brakes. Simple and you don't have to deal with putting a brake controller in the Jeep.

Having ridden with Brian, braking is not an issue. :shiftyeyes_anim:

My brother pulled a 4'x6' Trailite utility trailer behind his jeep for years with little issue. Have ample weight distributed on the tongue of the trailer and you'll be fine.

:upsidedown: Having ridden with Brian, braking is not an issue. :shiftyeyes_anim:

Just because I forget to release the parking brake on the KTM 450 EXC. One time, let it go. :upsidedown::lmaosmiley::heh:

Just have 60% of your weight in front of the trailer axle, I pulled lots of trailers with my old CJ-7. It didn't like to big of a travel trailer but that was just moving it a short distance.

Just because I forget to release the parking brake on the KTM 450 EXC. One time, let it go.

Parking brake ?????

Many years pulling with my little Hyundai SUV. It's probably not as squirrley as a Jeep, but I suspect you'll be fine.

Assuming, of course, your stability question was about the rig, not the driver.

Just because I forget to release the parking brake on the KTM 450 EXC. One time, let it go.

Parking brake ?????

X2

The newer Jeeps are pretty heavy. Guessing yours probably weighs in at ~4200#. That said towing a small trailer weighing under 2000# will probably not be a big issue. Just keep the tongue weight between 10 - 15% of the trailer weight and it should be ok. With the short wheelbase of the Jeep you may notice a bit of wander in the steering. Short jaunts to the desert shouldn't be an issue. Hauling it across the US long distance probably wouldn't be much fun.

Thanks everyone.

Yes,I was joking about the parking brake. I don't brake much cause I am so slow.