robertaccio

is El Nino media hype?

weve had only 2 memorable kind of hardcore windy rainy storms, and yes a few scattered rain days......really the hype back in september was massive destruction flooding rain for months........Im so tired of the media hype Bird Flu, H1 N1 flu , the world is about collapse from global warming.....jeez its almost as tiring as out political system........but not quite....

we are all gonna die el nino is coming the great flood is looming....!!! ahhhhhhhhhh panic keep the people doped on BS!! I'm ready to call BS on the el nino business too!! It was a dry and dusty day of riding AGAIN!!!! just like last week aND THE WEEK BEFORE THAT! My rant isn't really over but here it is!! enjoy your dry and dusty riding in SoCal dez like for the last 10000 years......and probably the next 10000 years!!!

Further north, there was more rain and snow. Down here it's just El Nono.

It's weather. Plain and simple.

The people who try to predict it are fools or charlatans; the people who listen to and trust weather forecasters are worse.

The weather girls and boys you see on the local and national media are really good at telling you what is currently happening or what just happened. Predicting accurately? Not so much.

#globalwarmingisbs. #WereAllGonnaDie!!!

And there's always a slim chance that we could get a "Miracle" March or April showers. :smile_anim:

Been wondering about a our El Niño myself. Siri is saying 4 days of rain next week. My son already planted his garden; hope it doesn't wash away.

My problem with the ElNiño hype is the suggestion that it will cure the water shortage.

Rain doesn't fix overpopulation.

there is no water shortage---we have a few gallons stored immediatly to the west of us..........

What I'm PO'd about is we keep hearing about "severe drought" but city fathers keep allowing more homes to go up.

And after truly making an effort at conserving water last year, we were rewarded by higher water rates.

Because, you know, the water company said it wasn't selling enough water.

Exactly.

And long as the belief lingers that we need rain to cure the "drought " we'll never invest in the infrastructure required to sustain our population.

You know- the millions of people with lawns and gardens and golf courses and showers and toilets.

In the desert.

Funny how effective hype/education is, 99% of the people say "we really need the rain". Our reservoirs are silted in because environmentalists won't allow them to be cleaned out, the dams are ancient and almost all the water that falls here goes directly into the ocean.

Sheeple.

Sheeple is right.

We pretty much deserve the Govt we ask for...

Rain doesn't fix overpopulation.

So the Noah's Ark story isnt true?

WINNER!

Everything with the news is always an extreme. Hype and extremism is how they make money. I dont doubt the el Nino condition is happening, just not as extreme here as they "Hyped".

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiOsauHq53LAhUCyGMKHeQLDsoQFggpMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.capradio.org%2Farticles%2F2016%2F02%2F01%2Freservoirs-slowly-filling%2C-sierra-snowpack-above-normal%2F&usg=AFQjCNGpgfrvwM4-fcAvSeDA-5uAfW0E1w&sig2=i3VXM-bGKjKbpgMrhLwGhA

People should get your rain collection systems in before they start to be banned.

I don't believe El Nino is hype, but so far it definitely hasn't lived up to its billing.

EMWD up here is trying to get the word out that the rains aren't enough. They sent out a couple of very nice pieces showing just how ugly the situation is. I'll try to link them here. I think the "sheeple" need to really understand this stuff. It boggles my mind that there are still homes where they water during the day to the point that half of it runs off into the street. Every single day.

I attached one of the files, but the one I really wanted to show is too big to upload. Here's a link to it: http://www.emwd.org/home/showdocument?id=14468 This is the one everyone should see, imo. It really puts things into perspective.

January2016Stage4BrochureF.pdf

It boggles my mind that there are still homes where they water during the day to the point that half of it runs off into the street. Every single day.

What boggles the mind is how they ask us to conserve water then punish us for it.

I may not be one of those guys who has water running down the street (every single day) but I no longer care to "conserve" water. I'll just pay for what I use. If they get serious about saving resources, I'll play. Until then, I want lush green grass.

I'm unsure who "they" are, but I assume it's the politicians and utility companies both soaking us, pardon the pun.

It boggles my mind that there are still homes where they water during the day to the point that half of it runs off into the street. Every single day.

What boggles the mind is how they ask us to conserve water then punish us for it.

I may not be one of those guys who has water running down the street (every single day) but I no longer care to "conserve" water. I'll just pay for what I use. If they get serious about saving resources, I'll play. Until then, I want lush green grass.

I'm unsure who "they" are, but I assume it's the politicians and utility companies both soaking us, pardon the pun.

Apparently you're not the only one.

Californians Aren't Saving Much Water As El Niño Fails To Rescue State From Drought - BuzzFeed News

https://apple.news/Ax3HonBWfR0ORpKofb-BEkw

wow this topic delivers!! thanks for all the participation!!

Apparently you're not the only one.

Californians Aren't Saving Much Water As El Niño Fails To Rescue State From Drought - BuzzFeed Newshttps://apple.news/Ax3HonBWfR0ORpKofb-BEkw

Hey, I'm not trying to be flip, I'm just fed up with the doublespeak.

I'm all for helping out. Tightening my belt. Doing my part. But I'm seeing--like many other Americans--that the people telling us to give more aren't giving anything themselves.

The saying goes, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

I'll get serious about conserving when "they" do.

I look at it this way- I know for a fact there's not enough water to go around the southland. I also know it's because there are too many of us demanding from too small a supply. To me, that means I have an obligation to use less. That others are sloppy does not release me from that obligation. Nothing to do with rainfall- simply too many straws in this milkshake.

I also know the infrastructure has costs, and that infrastructure needs maintenence and expansion. The cost for that infrastructure has been kept, in my opinion, artificially low for the utility value of delivered fresh and relatively safe, clean water. So I expect as usage goes down, rates will increase- they simply need to cover the overhead of the system. Such that it is. I think water service is well worth the money, and I'd easily pay a lot more. Because, well, it's water. And there's the pun.

I also know that creating new water sources is both necessary and expensive. It's silly we're not reclaiming water, despite what the naysayers say about 'toilet to tap". This is science, folks and our water already comes from the toilet of the Colorado river. Water is never lost- we don't destroy it- it remains on the planet.

I also know leadership has failed us by not creating alternative water resources- it's pretty simple- too many people, not enough water. But people have repeatedly voted against infrastructure changes- reclamation being one of them.

I also know that if we don't continue to build housing, we will drive up the cost of existing homes, and that will directly effect our cost of living. That will make San DIego a less-desirable place to live for employees (their pay will not go very far) and if employees don't want to move/stay/work here, business will find less expensive places to domicile. This reduces the income tax collection, reduces the number of sucessful businesses, and reduces the number of jobs. Fewer jobs is not a good thing.

As a 56-year resident of San DIego, I have arrived at the conclusion there's now way to go but up. We cannot control the population (despite what they used to call "smart growth") growth- only try to manage what we have- and there's a shortage of it. Do I miss the old San Diego? Of course. But it's gon, and it's not coming back.

Oh. I like to ride motorcycles.

Holy cow! You're 56?!?!

The candles on your last birthday cake prolly contributed more to global warming than your 2 stroke.

didn't you people listen to Leonardo Decapitated at the Oscar's? Climate change is real man, it must be cause an actor says so. My yard is sandbagged and I've got waddle's all over, but I think high pressure is here to stay. My garden's already in.

Holy cow! You're 56?!?!

The candles on your last birthday cake prolly contributed more to global warming than your 2 stroke.

Had I a two-stroke, you'd probably be correct. My birthday cake qualifies as an inferno.