Mikey777

Otay Truck Trail- A cautionary tale

If that's the BLM gate, you'll need authorization. That comes from either the BP or BLM ranger.

I wouldn't expect either to outright grant it.

The road leads to a stretch of the border fence then loops out to another exit on the 94.

Lastly, they're been know to lock the gate behind hapless riders.

It is a hit and miss experience these days given the mood of the rider, the mood of the Border Patrol Agent (even given an agent in a truck 200 yards past another agent), the mood of the BLM Park Ranger, and the moon :)

Good trips, funky trips, spooky trips, you hold the dice.

The authorized road heads straight to the Border/Fence and some days you are authorized and some days you are not. Getting to 94 also includes crossing some private land that they are also trying to protect in addition to BLM land and the nation. Just beware of others on the slippery road who may be ignorant to the fact that somebody besides themselves also use the road, and be kind to the uniforms because if you are good guy, they don't really want to hassle you, but they do have to find out if you are friend or foe and would probably prefer that even the good guys don't go there so they don't have to sort it out all day long.

http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?/topic/21362-2-drzs-just-wandering/

I don't get it. It's a BLM road but "off limits"......kinda. I took my dad down there to show him the border marker and was chased off in short order. It's a shame.

Blm is "giving" those roads to BP.

They already have authority over the traffic on them.

Near Jacumba also.

They don't bite.but they can make you dismount and show ID.

I went yesterday and it wasn't a zoo, but we did see quite a bit more than usual trucks taken leasure drives.

What we did see was this post stating "ohv funds at work", although we could not find any trails that I would take my ohv bike.

Does anyone now what they mean about ohv funds at work?

All I could see is a gravel fire road.

Support and Join CORVA, SDORC...and u will find out what is going on with our Public Lands !

I did join SDORC mainly to get answers on this topic, specially when I own 4 OHV bikes.

I Feel cheated when I see mostly a paved road in Otay and then read that it's was funded by OHV funds.

I was out last Monday and almost became a hood ornament on a BP vehicle on a trail heading Westish coming from the rock house. If sensors are tripped, they come a running. It doesn't matter where you're at, if it's a blind corner be careful out there. I was lucky to have enough room to pass him. We stopped and talked with him and he was very cool. Have fun and be safe! Shooting is still allowed so watch out for that. 

Went up for my sunset ride today was running about 10 minutes late damn you Hollywood caisno. My lookout spot was 2 turnsup in the clouds but stayed anyway. Lookout for hunters passed 4 going up from pio pico and sign at bottom said road closed ahead. They are doing tons of work and blocking off all the side trails starting at pio pico with steel poles.

20161017_182301.jpg

I saw all that too about a week ago.  There was a big pile of the metal poles not too far up from the bottom. Several of them looked like they were already welded up to be gates. Hopefully they don't make it a locked gate situation like it is on the other side by the power plant.

I have seen a lot of four wheelers grinding up those side trails. Let's hope that does not get the entire mountain closed for all of us.

(Nice SE Bp)

enjoy them while they last .

thats why i do my best not to divulge route information or show tracks on line to public.

it draws too much traffic in then gets shutdown .

and with all the bp training and support for the immigration crisis , i havent seen one single person trying to hop the fence (ever).

im cool with the bp though, they pretend chaser me through the bushes (2track) around here all the time then just say hi when i let them catch me .

one time recently i thought i lost my keys and the bp officers drove real slow around helping me look . the keys were at home on the counter.:lol:

whenever i see bp i just take off into the bushes(2track) its funny to watch them bonze the trucks in pursuit.

all for fun. some of them are good guys , hit and miss.

image.jpeg

On 2/27/2016 at 11:00 AM, Dan Diego said:

Yup, I've had some close calls on the OMTT; with off-roaders, Border Patrol vehicles, hikers and other motorcyclists.

There have been some hellacious wrecks on the trail. In '99, a BP agent died, along with his passengers, when he rolled off the road and down a 1000' embankment.

In '14, a judge awarded $5.4M to motorcyclist who lost leg after crash with a Border Pateol Agent. The dual sporter's attorneys contended in a lawsuit that a Border Patrol agent caused the collision by speeding on the trail.

It may be why the BPAs are chasing us off more often...

Those darn BPA guys!!!!