kampnman

My Cheeks Hurt....Chula Vista

Hello

My name is Frank, I live in Chula Vista. I have been riding sporadically off-road since I was 9 yrs old (riding mini-bikes up to 500cc mx bikes throughout). I have been going to Baja all my life (Fishing, Off-Road Racing Team Support, and just to eat n drink Tacos & Pacífico’s), however I just started riding in Baja and absolutely love it! Which leads me into my next story…

Less than six weeks ago my 21 yr old son, my ole high school buddy, and I were near the end of a quick ride through the Baja Pine Forest from Tecate (Hacienda Santa Verónica) to Laguna Hanson, then cut back down through Ojos, took highway to Ensenada (Libre), and of course had to stop in Rosarito for our favorite tacos. While we were in line to order tacos, a proud and smiley KTM wife noticed my buddy’s 500exc and she said “my husband rides KTM…”. Seconds later her husband walked up and I met SDAR’s “Afry” aka: Arnie, wearing a fishing shirt, beer in hand, I already knew he was a cool dude (can’t remember friends name with them, also very cool people). He proceed to tell me he just finished a multi-day Baja ride that day, went home to pick up his wife and friends, then hours later (same day) back in Baja to celebrate New Year’s Eve. Early in our conversation he asked if we were members of SDAR, and at the time we were not. I then asked him what bike he rode and he said KTM’s 950 Super Enduro. I admittedly told him I’m not familiar with the big cc Adventure bike models. Arnie quickly educated me that yes it was a big cc bike, however it only weighs 419 lbs. dry and has 10” of travel front and rear, with ground clearance and seat height that is taller than the balls on a Geraffe. He suggested I Google the 950 SE to learn more as they were only built and sold for three years (07,08,09), but also warned me I might be looking to buy one shortly after my research. My curiosity had me looking that same night and I must say I was very impressed, but none for sale anywhere? The day before I met Arnie I was not in the market to buy a new bike although I knew one day I wanted something larger than my CRF250X, (thinking 500exc). Little did I know…. I did national web searches multiple times daily on all the popular possible for sale sites for the next 36 days. Now and then one would pop up, unfortunately they were typically located cross country. Then this week I found a fresh listing (few hours new) in Norcal. Jumped in the truck and headed north for 512 miles. I’ve owned this bad boy only for three days. My cheeks hurt from my constant smile that won’t stop. Thank you Arnie’s wife for being so bold to introduce yourself and your husband. I look forward meeting you all SDAR’ers and join in on some rides and events.

Cheers, Frank

post-16076-0-76234200-1454802662.png

post-16076-0-99974700-1454802684.png

post-16076-0-22431600-1454802778.png

post-16076-0-65698400-1454802930.png

post-16076-0-41676400-1454802956.png

Super Comfy seat. It must have lowered seat height by 2+ inches!

post-16076-0-43429500-1454802973.png

Actual Miles are 2,055 Very Fortunate Find!

sweet glad your here think thats 4 super enduros now.

Welcome aboard! I've read a little on similar seats but have never seen one that drastic. Makes sense.

Wow low mileage. Grats on the new ride and welcome to Sdar! If your crf250x is plated I would be interested in it.

Thanks,

Tim

Welcome, cachetes.

And, yeah....that's how we all met Arnie. With a beer in his hand.

Enjoy that bike, that is one bad to the bone big boys with all the travel in the world. I could never understand why they only made that bad ass bike for three years.

Enjoy that bike, that is one bad to the bone big boys with all the travel in the world. I could never understand why they only made that bad ass bike for three years.

probably because when they were new they couldn't give them away. Many sat on sales floors for years and ultimately sold brand new for thousands less than they sell for now. I met one guy who paid $8500 out the door for his in 2011! They were before their time, and now all the manufacturers, KTM included, are too chicken to build its equal.

Yup ezactly everyone wanted the 950 adventure thinking a big vtwin dirt bike was the dumbest idea and would never work boy where the critics and buyers wrong ktm got it right 10 years ago

Thanks guys for the warm welcome!

350thumper - I do not have any more photos at the moment, I plan to take more soon and will post when I do. Thx

Vacman - In the near future I do plan to sell my CRF250X I have a family member also interested, but doubt he can handle it right now, I will let you know when I'm ready. It too is very clean with approximately 35 hours on it as I am the original owner, meticulously maintained in garage. I installed a Baja Designs dual sport kit and several other quality upgrades.

I am absolutely blown away how easy and comfortable the 950 SE is to drive. I have only driven a handful of big bikes, but for me nothing I've ridden compares. I'm sure many of you have ridden other big bikes that are as good or better, I have not had the privilege yet. The seat is extremely comfortable, when sitting I have 3/4 of my foot flat on the ground (I'm just <5'11" on a good day).

With my early lack of knowledge of the 950 SE, and I do not know the accuracy of these comments, but I've read others say KTM partially stopped the build because it was over spec'd and their profit margin was minimal versus other models in their line. Also coupled with the 2007 to 2009 (ironically the same three years of the build) nationwide banking meltdown coinciding with the U.S. recession and housing bubble made sales a luxury for very few therefore sales were extremely low.

I might have to look into that seat i have the seat concepts and it raised my seat height and its wider. With my modified suspension i think raised a little too so im tippy toed at best at 6'2". I actually emailed the guy you bought it from when he had that bike on craigslist to buy the seat off of him but he didnt go for it.

Welcome Frank! Actually it was Dennie, Todd Whiteside's (another SE owner) wife that started this mess :)

Glad to see you drank the whole keg of Kool-aid lol.

Thanks for calling tonight, we'll be in touch.

That makes at least 5 SE's at SDAR until CID sells his ...GASP!

I know and ride with at least 5 more in Socal north of SD and we all suffer from hurting cheeks!