Mr.JAJA

3.5 days with a BIG BIKE 2 BIG BEAR and more

Just a short report of my 3.5 day Ramona 2 El Mirage trip;

Bike; 2004 BMW 1150 ADV, full loaded “not from the Factory”

Goal: shake down and condition test for me, navigation skill, GPS trust.

I started late on Tuesday after a late massage appointment. 40 sand bags after the El Niño Warning pay the toll to me.

Day 1:Left Ramona at 4:00PM went to Black Canyon to Mesa Grande, then in Warner’s springs, right up to the “lost Cooper Canyon” Trail to Anza. Here I stopped for the first night. I dint ’n know there is a camp spot, so I pulled over ½ miles short where I found a nice spot, that what I thought till next morning. Camp where setup and food where served. Ready for the first night outside in the last 25 years. ( not counting Camper over night’s) My try is an Australian Sleeping “SWAG” and it works. Not much room but warm dry and protected.

During the night, I got woken up by someone stepping on me (Coyote) just to talk about Motorbikes. After that, it is hard to fall asleep again, with hearing the bussing of the flies or Mosquitos. (Ear plugs)

Day 2:Next morning I got up early to make a coffee and breakfast. The coffee stayed cold do to operator error in operating a multi fuel stove. Loaded up the bike and turned it around with in the end getting stuck in the loose sand. After 4 tries, in different directions and NO success, I unloaded the bike, carried all gear up the hill and got the bike out of the wash. Loaded up the bike and with one hour late, I went on my way. Some sections are easy for a Bike but tough for a loaded “KAMPFKUH” translation: Fighting Cow.

I made it to Anza just in time for Lunch at the “La Cochina” after a 45 minute break I went on to find the Thomas Mountain trail down to the CH74. Stopped at the Fire station and ask for trail condition to Hesperia. So I went the Bee Canyon, 4S10 left and after some mile, made a big mistake by not checking mileage to the turn. I turned left in to the Indian creek trail down to the “SOBOBA Reservation” BIG MISTAKE. Security guided me out without a ticket. This trail is tough for a Bike but even more brutal for the KAMPFKUH with full gear. Result 3 x laid down, broken Blinker and bended brackets.

Now it where late and I had to find a camp spot. So I went street up to Idyllwild and set up camp in the state park. After a hot shower, I needed a rest.

Day 3: Since I screwed up the last day, I had to make up some time. Street to Banning and to the Ranger station on the CH 38. Here I stopped to get some trail information. 7 oak dam not open for public, not the trail next to it. Bummer. Clarks trail not recommended (original Ranger Words). But I can go the Mill Creek Rd. Seven Oaks and Radfort camp Rd. So off I went, made it to Big Bear and to Farwnskin where I hit the 3N14 north. Final destination “BOWEN RANCH and Hot spring” Here I made my second navigation mistake by following the googel instruction instead the Ranch instruction. Turning of the 3N59, 3N59A brought me to a new disaster trail. “Bike possible, BIG BIKE loaded, made it an Adventure” It got dark and I had to find a protected spot for the weather. Dark clouds on the sky dint look to good.

Camp where set up, got the Stove working and made me self a HOT NUDEL soup. (I don’t know how)

It dint rained just some drops and in the morning it still look dark from the south. Even out in the boonies I have reception on the phone and I checked the double radar for the weather condition. A lot of rain coming my way and I had to get out of this before. I made it to Hesperia, Victorville and on my way to the El Mirage Dry Lake, I got pounded. Riding in the dirt and rain is not fun with this load. Eventually it stopped raining and I laid the bike down again in the sand. Before I had my handy dandy Recovery tool unstrapped, there comes an ANGEL in a pickup truck, she stopped, help me to pick up the bike and went on her way, like she is doing this 100 time a day.

After reaching EL MIRAGE the wet Dry Lake, (HAHAHA) I made the decision to cut the trip short and hit the HOME direction via country roads. I made it home Friday night at 8:00PM. A hurting butt, tired, but ready to make improvements to some weak spots in my navigation skill and physical condition.

MRJAJA

post-14767-0-70921200-1445132213_thumb.j First Camp post-14767-0-50412700-1445132277_thumb.j Stuck in the wash post-14767-0-75681200-1445132359_thumb.jpost-14767-0-68484000-1445132399_thumb.jpost-14767-0-57148500-1445132457_thumb.jpost-14767-0-45721900-1445132537_thumb.jpost-14767-0-29097100-1445132655_thumb.jpost-14767-0-18384300-1445132847_thumb.jpost-14767-0-69083200-1445132736_thumb.jpost-14767-0-39030600-1445132961_thumb.jpost-14767-0-58795700-1445133018_thumb.j

Good write up Mr. JAJA. Sounds like it was another successful adventure, but not an easy one. Solo on a loaded big bike through new territory is a gutsy proposition. Bravo!

Sounds like a great adventure... Thanks for sharing some pics.

Sounds like fun to me!

WOW what a ride . I cringe at the thought of a stuck or layed down big bike . But good for you that you took it in stride .

That shot of your campsite in the rocks is awesome !

That shot of your campsite in the rocks is awesome !

One is on the Lost Canyon road between Willow spring and Chihuahua Valley and the sunrise where between Big Bear and Bowen Ranch after i got lost and had to find a place for the night.