Sign in to follow this  
wildwood

Santa Rosa Mtn. night of Bike Camping

This was a fun and informative trip for me trying to camp off a bike. Nice route to get up there. You all make bike camping look way too easy. I still have much to sort out (and replace) to do this regularly.

I have to thank most of you for the assist after my luggage exploded on the trail (you know who you are, those who loaned me tape, extra straps, went back to grab stuff, helped get all the crap out of my rear brake caliper, heckle me and take pictures of the carnage, etc.... ). That would have been impossible if I was by my self.

And dang, I had a major hang-over this morning. It wasn't helping me get packed and back on the trail for home. I haven't tied one on like that in some time, it was a worthy place to do it though.

Cedar Creek/Eagle Peak Rd.

post-15028-0-27197600-1443913572_thumb.j

Taking a break on top of Santa Rosa Mtn.

post-15028-0-18331900-1443913932_thumb.j

Well, there was this sucker hole of a trail that ate up about 4 of us right before you got to camp.

post-15028-0-49396500-1443914209_thumb.j

Evening Gathering

post-15028-0-04663600-1443913991_thumb.j

Looking out towards Palm Desert

post-15028-0-24364600-1443914056_thumb.j

Thanks to all who joined in, and for showing me a great new destination. It was a blast, really.

Thx for posting up the ride, Bob! Pushed me off of the fence and got a great group out there. First real dirt outing on the Tiger and I made it 131 miles, until 40 feet from camp. :axehead:

Yes - the morning after..... I learned from my last camping trip out there, it's no fun, uh, feeding the squirrels, at 2 AM....so I waved off on the bottle passes. There were some groggy faces this morning.

Pics later.

Great ride up to the mtn. top Friday, and Super Adventure overall! Thanks Wildwood! And thanks to all of the other Adventurers. Good stuff - I would have liked to have had more side by side ride time, but still a great opportunity to see an incredible campsite in a remote area. Kinda nice that we had the knoll to ourselves! My bike ran great and the Saturday morning ride home was perfect...... well maybe except those 2 damn dogs way out back behind Anza that seemed to enjoy my passing by as their "sport", and the dang only cow not following the rules on Black Canyon - haha, but the ride off the top and the 74/371, and Anza to Warner, and especially Mesa Grande behind the Hideout- ooo la la, was just wonderful in the cool breeze under the trees, Black Canyon.... etc

The Sunset with Mickey was all so good:

post-15577-0-02022700-1443918594_thumb.j

Beautiful View, and time for jackets!

post-15577-0-20981900-1443918636_thumb.j

The sign of a true Leader, and an incredible host.... to make a beer/malt run all the way off the mountain and back just to make the boys happy! Pretty impressive!

post-15577-0-20733000-1443918653_thumb.j

Tent is up.... darkness soon:

post-15577-0-23066600-1443918666_thumb.j

Watching the show:

post-15577-0-61739800-1443918684_thumb.j

A roaring campfire and a bottle of joy as stories circulated the campfire... or hmmmm solar lamp:

post-15577-0-07034000-1443918698_thumb.j

For some.... it feels safer and more comfy sleeping in the air:

post-15577-0-81980100-1443918708_thumb.j

For some, a tube tent feels cozy:

post-15577-0-59893400-1443918732_thumb.j

For others, behind the chimney:

post-15577-0-18269900-1443918748_thumb.j

The real studs - " I don't need no stinkin tent"

post-15577-0-25695300-1443918758_thumb.j

A room with a view :)

post-15577-0-22401100-1443918775_thumb.j

Now that is what I call Mountain top luxury living: A warm feeling of the new day with coffee in hand and the expectations of more 2-wheel adventures:

post-15577-0-14004300-1443918790_thumb.j

Cheers to all of my fellow riders and even the ones I missed from the day before.

Great group of folks out there sorry I only took one picture the whole time. It was a good ride up even if ted and I wound up slabbing it up. But hey that's what these big bikes excel at. Ride pavement at high speed and get you off the beaten path.

The visitors this morning were......strange. Some kid sat on the rocks behind where my tent was setup and smoked a joint then decided his 1911 needed to be in the front of his waistband instead of the back.

At least his grandpa was slingin' the aught 6 in plain view. Friendly bunch, but yeah......

Lots of hunters on the way out. Forgot what time of year it was. The site was a little more trashed than I remember last time. Next time I'm up in the Jeep I'll have to do a police call.

DSCN1994_zpszity06nn.jpg

ThumperBob and the group heading out Cedar Creek.

DSCN1995_zpszyujlkj8.jpg

DSCN2000_zpspgeomds5.jpg

The aforementioned luggage liquidation and brake fiddling....

DSCN2004_zpsijzulwdj.jpg

DSCN2008_zpswljahxbs.jpg

DSCN2009_zps1nuk1esg.jpg

End of Day 1

DSCN2010_zpscizhegbo.jpg

PMC at the fireplace

DSCN2012_zpssghilxmd.jpg

DSCN2015_zpsvsvlrk7h.jpg

Windiest spot to camp at the fireplace

DSCN2018_zpskhlj2yuj.jpg

Gooooooooood morning

DSCN2022_zps56xos4rg.jpg

DSCN2024_zpszlrqadzf.jpg

PMC at JPC - with rojodogg

DSCN2025_zpsmpqgalnv.jpg

End of ride.

DSCN2027_zpsegrthuzl.jpg

Great riding with everybody! Fun time around the "campfire" and what a great place to camp. Our new club motto, "No pegging allowed".

Great riding with everybody! Fun time around the "campfire" and what a great place to camp. Our new club motto, "No pegging allowed".

I second that!

Wow such a great time I had, we where a mottly bunch but we had such a great time, best adventure I have had in a while. With the high altitude, a good days ride, a lot of adult beverages and fine company it shall remain a great memory even though My head was splitting from the afore mentioned. Those dudes with all the guns were a trip this morning.

Great trip for sure. Heading out Friday and coming back Saturday worked out really well for me and the family. It give me plenty of time to get chores done Saturday and kids sports activities on Sunday. I see more of these in the future.

It was nice to meet those that I hadn't met before and hang with those that are already among my SDAR friends. I have some pics to post but want to edit them first.

....oh yeah, a special shout out to Bob for jumping on his bike and mobbin down to town to pick up more beer and fire water right before sundown. And to Temecula Tim for showing up with a nice bottle of Jamesons...

Great group of folks out there sorry I only took one picture the whole time. It was a good ride up even if ted and I wound up slabbing it up. But hey that's what these big bikes excel at. Ride pavement at high speed and get you off the beaten path.

The visitors this morning were......strange. Some kid sat on the rocks behind where my tent was setup and smoked a joint then decided his 1911 needed to be in the front of his waistband instead of the back.

yep- Those guys I politely told to move-on and find another spot to camp that night were camped right below us. I got the stink eye from a few of them on my way out- and gave it right back. :heh: . The real circus was just down the road at the big group site at Stump Springs. There was about 25-30 vehicles parked all along the road and jack-asses with long guns wandering around. I stopped at one of the overlooks- and could see at least half a dozen orange vests down in and around the trees.

So- out of a selfish sense of self-preservation :lmaosmiley: - I decided not to take the turn for the east route down and rode as far as I could to the top of Toro Peak- Just a FYI- they have closed the gate just below the top saddle. So its a 1/2 mile hike to get to the top.

Was nice to put faces to screen names and hope to ride with you guys again. :thumbsup_anim:

Tried to upload my pics but wasn't able (never had a problem before). I have a couple decent riding pics of Rob, Bob, Ken, Mikey, Brian and Rojo. If you guys (Already send Ken and Mike's) want them, send me a PM with your email address.

....oh yeah, a special shout out to Bob for jumping on his bike and mobbin down to town to pick up more beer and fire water right before sundown. And to Temecula Tim for showing up with a nice bottle of Jamesons...

It's was a fun little blast back to Anza for some quick repairs (and supplies). Once I had my clutch back and no luggage, the run up to the top to make it before sundown was a rip. I was pressing hard in some spots, it was like a Pike's Peak run, super fun. And, apparently baby oil works temporarily as mineral oil clutch fluid. My clutch was baby butt smooth once it was in there (Good call Brian [bp619]).

Oracle, thanks for showing me the proper way to organize a ride before heading out. You did a great job keeping the ride flowing to our camp site. If one does post up a ride, and it get's big, it can be a bit over-whelming. It makes a good ride when we have experienced members involved. I took the same way back at an easy pace. It's a excellent DS route. Sure cut's some miles off the return trip that way.

Glad the ride was a success. With the hunters in the mountains now, it's time to hit the desert floor. Not long now.

[edit]

The luggage liquidation in progress. Great trail though......

post-15028-0-95541700-1443981904_thumb.j

Looks like a good time . Did not get up their this year. Did you guys wander down the hill to look at the lites in Palm Spring at nite ? Ask CID about that one some time !

Pic of Mikey bombing the 990 Baja...

post-15155-0-33286600-1443979688_thumb.j

Pic of Brian on his 950 SE. Cool pic because his back wheel is off the ground...

post-15155-0-98922600-1443979957_thumb.j

One more pic of Bob after we got his bike re-packed... :heh:

post-15155-0-62609900-1443993039_thumb.j

that's what I get for using Trophy Hunter's check list :rolleyes:

I would like to see this checklist. I just helped re-org Pg 1 of the ride.....but no memory of a checklist.

It's very clear 2 of those bags don't have rollers, and any checklist I made would obviously include suitcases with rollers!

:upsidedown::lmaosmiley::withstupid::smile_anim:

Hell there was plenty of room to bring my birthday gifts back! I can see why he was elected to go on the beer run :)

Sounds like all you guys had a great ride and camp out. I had a fun ride to Santa Isabel. It was great to meet all of you. Only wish I was feeling better. Oh, well there will be a next time. Thank you all for the awesome photos!

Good seein' you, Bob. Too bad the previous nights dinner didn't sit well. Plenty more opportunities.

I would like to see this checklist. I just helped re-org Pg 1 of the ride.....but no memory of a checklist.

It's very clear 2 of those bags don't have rollers, and any checklist I made would obviously include suitcases with rollers!

:upsidedown::lmaosmiley::withstupid::smile_anim:

Oops, it was Afry's checklist. You had a post right before his and I got confused. Sorry for calling you out buddy.

http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?/topic/15402-moto-camping-2013/?hl=checklist#entry148412

Good List.