wildwood

Alpine to Idyllwild 2 day ride and camp Fri./Sat. Oct. 2-3

I can get us to the big bike friendly start of Santa Rosa TT - 5 miles east of 371/74 intersection. I'll have to look at Downs' stuff and figure out where the fireplace is.

As you said, wildwoods ride, so just trying to help where I can - which is very little. :)

I'll be on the radio, also.

I appreciate your sentiment putting me as lead on this ride, but I'm happy to relinquish the position based on the fact that I've never been through this area. I don't mind taking us out through Cedar Creek to Santa Ysabel, but after that, the most qualified ride should be leading.

sdhydro - I'll be on a small bike

Thanks for all the GREAT feedback. I got to get to work, but I'll consolidate the details by this evening (or somebody will) and post it here and on the first page.

WW...Do you have an ETA on when you would get to Santa Ysabel? I cannot make the 8:00 start at Descano (have to get kids to school), but can probably meet up with you by 9:00 a.m. in the Santa Ysabel area.

Probably on the 990.

Just returned from a 3 week/4k mile trip.... this is the excuse I need to not wash the bike. Do yall think its an issue if the right fork has little oil remaining due to a leaky seal?

Lurking..

I plan on being in the first group. I'm going to leave my van at the park and ride overnight right off the 8 freeway. That should be fine right?

Moved you, Rob.

Can't answer the van thing. Don't know the after dark goings on at that lot. Contacted a Rural Deputy friend to get his read on it.

No guarantees - but "probably okay" was the response. In 2 years, he's never taken a stolen report outta there.

Thanks for checking Ken. I'll go ahead and risk it...just a work vehicle anyways. I'll make sure it's empty though.

Still hoping work goes well and I can sneak out a bit early in the afternoon. I will likely solo ride as my departure time will fluctuate due to work. I plan to leave the Vstrom in the corral (although I will regret it on the 90 % of the ride slab portions from Linda Vista to just east of 371/74 only to wind up the last couple miles of dirt, unless my departure time matches up with you all still being out and about near idyllwild or thomas) and take the my DRZ (so at least I can wander a little bit in some dirt while heading south on sat. morn. back to La Mesa). Cheers.

I don't need this much stuff: post-15577-0-00558600-1443648462_thumb.j

But might have this much stuff : post-15577-0-11073000-1443648494_thumb.j

so if you see the black mini bike wandering around, Don't laugh at the "grapes of Wrath" theme, just wave hello :)

If you dare, post a pic of the "packed" rig I will be looking for: Is that you Stevenson McGyver Ghanti???

post-15577-0-55742500-1443648864.jpg

I plan on being in the first group. I'm going to leave my van at the park and ride overnight right off the 8 freeway. That should be fine right?

I live a mile from the first meet location. You can park at my place if you want. I can PM you my address.

WW...Do you have an ETA on when you would get to Santa Ysabel? I cannot make the 8:00 start at Descano (have to get kids to school), but can probably meet up with you by 9:00 a.m. in the Santa Ysabel area.

Probably on the 990.

We are planning to meet at the Julian Pie Company in Santa Ysabel at approximately 9:30 am.

I have a Doctor's appt for my eye surgery follow up Firday morning at 0900 that I forgot about. I will link up with Stoke and meet ya'll up at Santa Rosa. Just to clarify is the "fire place" the intended destination for that night? More than likely myself and stoke will be behind everyone else and will need to pave road it to the Truck Trail turn off to catch up. Maybe cut across from Warner Springs on dirt to Anza.

Just FYI for those that prefer whiskey there is a liquor store in Anza down the road from the circle K that has a pretty good selection.

Myself and stoke are both HAMS so can reach anyone with a HT that his up there on our way up incase the plan changes.

Yup, I'll have the radio on 70cm calling frequency and whatever the SDAR frequency is you guys use. I think it's two meters if I recall correctly. KK6RWM.

Ready.

post-15028-0-01511700-1443663143_thumb.j

Poor bike, I'll be dialing in the rear shock a couple clicks for sure.

That's a lot of top heavy weight bob, things pulling a wheelie. Can't wait to meet up see ya Friday morning

That's a lot of top heavy weight bob, things pulling a wheelie. Can't wait to meet up see ya Friday morning

I feel it too. Adding beer is going to be a mother. Glad your joining in. See you up here.

I feel it too. Adding beer is going to be a mother. Glad your joining in. See you up here.

I am sure your beer will fit in my backpack, ha ha.

Just returned from a 3 week/4k mile trip.... this is the excuse I need to not wash the bike. Do yall think its an issue if the right fork has little oil remaining due to a leaky seal?

Lurking..

Should be fine for this ride Shooby. You riding up with the main group or linking up with me and Stoke?

I have a Doctor's appt for my eye surgery follow up Firday morning at 0900 that I forgot about. I will link up with Stoke and meet ya'll up at Santa Rosa. Just to clarify is the "fire place" the intended destination for that night? More than likely myself and stoke will be behind everyone else and will need to pave road it to the Truck Trail turn off to catch up. Maybe cut across from Warner Springs on dirt to Anza.

Just FYI for those that prefer whiskey there is a liquor store in Anza down the road from the circle K that has a pretty good selection.

Myself and stoke are both HAMS so can reach anyone with a HT that his up there on our way up incase the plan changes.

Yup, I'll have the radio on 70cm calling frequency and whatever the SDAR frequency is you guys use. I think it's two meters if I recall correctly. KK6RWM.

I'll be monitoring 70cm and Mission Hills Ted until we link up. SDAR frequency is 146.505 (unless someone wants to run 70cm instead) If the main group is going to be in Santa Ysebel at 09 they are going to beat us up there by a good margin.

Just FYI for the guys on Big Bikes from the turn off for the fireplace to the fireplace can be somewhat challenging on a big bike if you are new to riding big bikes off road. There are a few little sections that can get (easy lay over) if you lose momentum. It's one of the first rides I did on the Strom and I was able to accomplish it with no issue so you should be good to go.

This is a weird spot. Kind of a 90 degree turn with a few whoops spaced closed together. I lost momentum here and kind of did one of those slow motion lay overs. That's probably the worst spot and it's right below the fireplace.

969917_10201351821663654_1504793863_n.jp

FYI - I picked the Fireplace since it seemed like a "known" spot so all would have a "go to" depending on arrival time. If anyone wants a change, post up.

I'm game with my first real dirt ride on the new Tiger and we're a "ride at your own pace" plus "leave nobody behind" group.

Fall down, assess for injuries, laugh, take pics, move on.

Emphasis on laugh and take pics. :) I think the fireplace or the last site lower from the fireplace will be more enjoyable for everyone than the group camp. The views are better :)

New Mitas E07's spooned on and balanced. (thx for the req, PMB). New Mosko Moto Reckless 80 mounted. Suspension adjusted for load - happy the XCx comes with adjustable WP equipment. Test ride in. A bee decided to come along and leave a present in my left knee area. I react with bugs/bees - but not to the epi-pen level per my doc - so I'll keep an eye on it.

Ready to go.

IMG_0796_zpsujst1u3f.jpg

New Mitas E07's spooned on and balanced. (thx for the req, PMB). New Mosko Moto Reckless 80 mounted. Suspension adjusted for load - happy the XCx comes with adjustable WP equipment. Test ride in. A bee decided to come along and leave a present in my left knee area. I react with bugs/bees - but not to the epi-pen level per my doc - so I'll keep an eye on it.

Ready to go.

IMG_0796_zpsujst1u3f.jpg

Wow, my dream Big Bike. That's sweet. See you tomorrow.

Ready to go.

IMG_0796_zpsujst1u3f.jpg

Good lookin' set-up Ken! :smile_anim: