meatmord

Adventure Advice

My gf's birthday is coming up and I was planning to take her on a luxurious and romantic trip to Catalina. Now however, I am thinking of taking her on a death defying desert crossing adventure.

Here is what I want to know: assuming I have an operational 4x4, is there some loop I can do that is off-road or off the beaten track? I would love to drive a few hours camp, screw around, drive a few more hours, camp again, then ultimately pop back out on the road and cruise home. (also, it is possible I will have picked up a old kx80 for her to start messing around on, so motorcycle time is a possibility).

I am not an expert mechanic, I am not even a novice desert person, and I do not actually want to die... so nothing with a narrow margin for error. Trip will be in November. We have four season backpacking gear, so any mountainous suggestions welcome. Sierra's are fair game.

Let me know if you guys/gals have any cool idea, and thanks.

Ah, yes: Mr. Romantic. Given a choice between Catalina Island and the desert, he chooses the latter.

We want photos!

Get the 4x4 book called Sierra Nevada Scenic Byways by Tony Huegel....I use it for exploring the Sierra...have done about 30 of the 50 routes from the book on my 950 Adventure....awesome stuff !!!

A trip to:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Agua+Caliente+County+Park/@32.9515754,-116.3057551,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x80d986d8caec6303:0xc96d23a51678b338

with 4 wheeling to: Palm spring/ Fish creek area. This is not the city "Palm Spring". There is a turnoff some miles south of the Aqua Caliente "AIRPORT" on S2 to the left. Going to the squeeze and some badlands trails. I am sure some one know the trail better. This is easy and runs thru some nice sand stone canyons.

Listen to the weather report at this time of the year about "Flush watches".

A trip to:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Agua+Caliente+County+Park/@32.9515754,-116.3057551,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x80d986d8caec6303:0xc96d23a51678b338

with 4 wheeling to: Palm spring/ Fish creek area. This is not the city "Palm Spring". There is a turnoff some miles south of the Aqua Caliente "AIRPORT" on S2 to the left. Going to the squeeze and some badlands trails. I am sure some one know the trail better. This is easy and runs thru some nice sand stone canyons.

Listen to the weather report at this time of the year about "Flush watches".

this is the area that first popped in my head too... Fish Creek, Canyon Sin Nombre, Split Mountain, Mud Caves... nothing really hairy for a 4x4, fairly well-traveled and ranger patrolled should something go wrong, but not really a party spot (like Blaire Valley and OW can be)

accessible from the S2

oh... and I have a 4x4 book for the San Diego area if you would like to borrow it. I ride the 8 corridor every day if you would like me to drop it off somewhere for you

Definitely anza borrego would be fun. What we have also done is start at superstition mountain then go all way up to ocotillo wells. Passing fishcreek and split mountain rd then you can have fun around there with free camping at ocotillo wells and toilets. Then cruise up and do all the anza stuff near borrego springs

What is your timing and distance parameters? A good little drive, 4x4 and hike is Anza Borrego's Rockhouse Canyon. You will need a lifted truck or lifted SUV to tackle it. I camped there with my GF and we hiked up to the old indian village site and out to the Rockhouses. Bitchin area. You might need to wait until Oct. or Nov. for cooler weather.

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/1999/jan/21/hike-anza-borregos-rockhouse-canyon-where-rock-hou/#

Awesome. I knew you guys would have great suggestions. Now I just need the 4x4. Shopping!!

although it's the opposite side of ABDSP, Font's Point might be a nice drive too... get lunch in Borrego Springs, then drive out to Font's Point. A lot of sand, but I've done it in my 4x2, so I know it's possible; keep the speed up and don't stop until you find some hardpack

If you have a couple days, hit Death Valley. My wife loves it there. Great camping in the center of the park at elevation, or stay at Stovepipe and enjoy the bar / pool. Plenty of places along the way (Barstow, Rasor Rd.) to play with the motorcycle.

November in the desert is awesome.

Catalina is cool but a summer kayak swim snorkel sex on the beach kind of thing.

Good test, 3days or so in the dirt, no makeup, limited luxuries, smart man. another vote for fish creek etc.

Make her buy a 4x4, equality baby.

No way what's more romantic than camping in coyote canyon with no amenities next to third water crossing. Wonder y my wife has never came out for the romantic getaway

Coyote Canyon is a great spot too, but the road to get there has gotten really rough. Definitely need a lifted jeep or lifted small p/u to get in there or else you will rip skid plates off going over some of the obstacles in the slots. Some tight squeezes in a full size p/u.

Maybe your thinking of a different coyote canyon than I am I'm thinking north of town the dead end trail with 3 crossings. It's wide open pretty much I've seen a minivan and a prius up to the 3rd water crossing

We are thinking about the same spot, but once you get further back into Coyote Canyon to access Sheep Canyon/Indian Canyon and the primitive campground, it can get rough. I ripped the skid plate off my Titan getting through there before I had it lifted.

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2011/mar/16/roam-sheep-canyon/#

Corey, we are going on a 2 day Anza Borrego Desert State Park trip late oct or early nov. Our route will will go thru Canyon Sin Nombre, the mud caves, Split Mt, Fish Creek, Fonts Point, Grapevine, Jasper, Culp...

no dirt bikes. 4x4 required. kids ok

If you like the idea of safety in numbers you could come with us, or if you want a more personal thing I could send you the tracks. Ken

post-15013-0-25572200-1443014616_thumb.j

Whoa! Awesome.

Hey Ken! Hope you're well brotha, have crossed your path in a bit.

This seems perfect to me. That would be awesome if you could send me the tracks. I think we will be going later in November. maybe we'll roll with you guys, maybe separate, see how that plays out.

Do you think the 4x4 needs to have a lift and/or larger tires/clearance etc?

oh... and I have a 4x4 book for the San Diego area if you would like to borrow it. I ride the 8 corridor every day if you would like me to drop it off somewhere for you

Thanks Slut, maybe if we end up on a ride together Ill ask you to bring it, otherwise probably good.

You can get through these areas in a stock 4x4 w/ no lift and smart driving. All terrain tires are better: Canyon Sin Nombre, the mud caves, Split Mt, Fish Creek, Fonts Point.

I don't know about Grapevine, Jasper, & Culp as I have not been through them.

Grapevine culp jasper is fine with stock 4wd. Only time ve seen bad is aftwr huge rains and guys create huge ruts in trucks but still doable with good driving