meatmord

Best 450

Buying a plated bike is not the same thing as buying a bike and then trying to get it plated. Even if you know a guy who knows a guy you're still looking at 5 bills to plate a bike that is not supposed to be plated. Buying a bike with a plate is fairly safe, but not one of the plated bikes mentioned above even comes close to within his budget.

Two strokes are cool, but limiting your riding to certain places and/or certain times of the year isn't very fun. Of course ymmv.

Buying a plated bike is not the same thing as buying a bike and then trying to get it plated. Even if you know a guy who knows a guy you're still looking at 5 bills to plate a bike that is not supposed to be plated. Buying a bike with a plate is fairly safe, but not one of the plated bikes mentioned above even comes close to within his budget.

Two strokes are cool, but limiting your riding to certain places and/or certain times of the year isn't very fun. Of course ymmv.

The two stroke I am looking at tonight is Green sticker. That means I can ride it year round and at all the spots (that don't require a plate) right? IF I get the two stroke, Ill keep the crf250l for dual sport adventures.

The two stroke I am looking at tonight is Green sticker. That means I can ride it year round and at all the spots (that don't require a plate) right? IF I get the two stroke, Ill keep the crf250l for dual sport adventures.

I think that is a reasonable approach... I give it 6 months before you ditch the pig and get a real dual sport :girl_devil:

6 months is generous. I love her, but she'll be lucky to last to the end of the year. We'll see.

If that's the case why not pool the funds from the 250 and two stroke and buy one nice plated 4 stroke?

Check the signature block y'all. Brrraaapp.

Special thanks to Ken S. for coming with and checking it out and Thumpdizzle (he asked that we all call him this now) for looking after it. There is a small small chance of a celebratory mud ride tomorrow, so stay tuned.

Thank you all for your guidance and participation. I look forward to having this conversation again before too long.

2012 or newer WR450. Platable and the power is perfect for ST and open desert. 2012 was the first year of FI. The best thing to happen to dirt bikes since e-start.( I don't even have an estart dirt bike.)

Plateable where? With enough money you can plate anything, but it's not an easy thing. You have to know someone in the DMV world willing to break the rules. On a $3500 bike you'd spend another 15-20% getting a plate for it. Not exactly smart money for a guy on a budget. Not to mention used 2102+ WR's typically go for double his budget.

Platable in CA. Not illegal. Yes it can be done, legally, permanently. I've helped a handful of riders get plates on their green sticker bikes. I own a red sticker bike and ride it year round. I would own a 2012 WR but already own a plated dirt missle, Aprilia RXV550 so I went with a YZ450.

Congrats on the new purchase. If you decide to go all out on the YZ and make it a true off road bike the WR transmission will fit inside with just a little grinding on the case around the output shaft.

2012 or newer WR450. Platable and the power is perfect for ST and open desert. 2012 was the first year of FI. The best thing to happen to dirt bikes since e-start.( I don't even have an estart dirt bike.)

Plateable where? With enough money you can plate anything, but it's not an easy thing. You have to know someone in the DMV world willing to break the rules. On a $3500 bike you'd spend another 15-20% getting a plate for it. Not exactly smart money for a guy on a budget. Not to mention used 2102+ WR's typically go for double his budget.

Platable in CA. Not illegal. Yes it can be done, legally, permanently. I've helped a handful of riders get plates on their green sticker bikes. I own a red sticker bike and ride it year round. I would own a 2012 WR but already own a plated dirt missle, Aprilia RXV550 so I went with a YZ450.

Congrats on the new purchase. If you decide to go all out on the YZ and make it a true off road bike the WR transmission will fit inside with just a little grinding on the case around the output shaft.

You should share this information with your fellow SDAR people. I know of one person stuck in the process right now and it's cost him a pretty penny already with nothing to show for it yet, AFAIK. If you know a magic way to do it, you will make many people very happy.

Get a 250 2 stroke cheap to fix and you can trash it around and not cry when you drop it. That's what I did kept my new bike and got a older yz250 makes a great trail bike and can fly in the sand.

+1. as long as this is no longer a 450 4T thread.

welcome to the 2T world, that YZ250 is a great choice (a bit old but great choice)

after 4T for 10 years 3 450s 2 310s I went full on TE300 Husky 2T life has never been better, maintenance hours/ride hours have dropped dramatically, fun factor due to simplicity that negates worry has skyrocketed. love me the schmoker-- 2 stroke

so all that said The best 450 F is a 250 2 stroke!!

Platable in CA. Not illegal. Yes it can be done, legally, permanently. I've helped a handful of riders get plates on their green sticker bikes.

Cool!

Tell us how it's done.

welcome to the 2T world, that YZ250 is a great choice (a bit old but great choice)

after 4T for 10 years 3 450s 2 310s I went full on TE300 Husky 2T life has never been better, maintenance hours/ride hours have dropped dramatically, fun factor due to simplicity that negates worry has skyrocketed. love me the schmoker-- 2 stroke

so all that said The best 450 F is a 250 2 stroke!!

Thanks! Im pumped cant wait to ride her this weekend. Best 450 is a two stoke 250. Yes.

Got Corey's bike tuned up today. Stuck power valve. Bent chain guide. Flat tire.

Results.

Been doing wheelies up and down my driveway until the neighbors complained.

This YZ is a rocket. He'll need to bring extra underwear and his health insurance card Sunday to Lark.

Congat's on the new bike brother.

yeeeeeehaw! can't f'ing wait. Dying hearing these stories. Got my helicopter insurance, so its time to ride the lightening.

NOW I NEED A TRUCK to get the bike around easy. Sell the civic, sell the crf250l.

Don't say the word dying.because its stoopid fast.

First Kenny came over here with it & roosted my acre of property to shreds. Then took it home with him. I'm pretty sure he slept in his garage with it.

I'm a little concerned. Because its retarded fast.

The good news is they have morphine in the helicopters.

Congrats on the bike. I had the same feeling when I got my 2002 Honda CR250.

While your YZ is not the same bike, it is pretty similar with the same purpose.

From my experience with the CR250:

-it's super light and nimble

-the power hit will be a handful in the tight stuff (flywheel weight will help if it doesn't have one yet)

-it will be fun on more open trails and flowing two track

-it will top out pretty quick in wide open spaces like Ocotillo Wells etc. gearing can help

Of course the experience on the CR250 and the 2 stroke wonder lead me to the trail bike 2 stroke. The KTM 300 XCW, way more fun for my style and preference of riding. Will be interested to see what you think.

I rode a CRF250 the other day and loved it. Brought me back to my high school days riding a YZ125.

Haven't been on a 2 stroke in a while but this thread has me thinking...

Any grown-ups riding 2 stroke 125s these days? A 250 might be more than I need/want and a 125 is crazy light and nimble. Just kicking the idea around in my head...

Not that I need to spend more money but damn...they are only like $1200 on CL.

Don't say the word dying.because its stoopid fast.

First Kenny came over here with it & roosted my acre of property to shreds. Then took it home with him. I'm pretty sure he slept in his garage with it.

I'm a little concerned. Because its retarded fast.

lol. yea, he called me several times yesterday to tell me how awesome it was and "joke" that he was going to keep it. I'm a bit concerned.

re my impending death, I will try to be careful.

Congrats on the bike. I had the same feeling when I got my 2002 Honda CR250.

While your YZ is not the same bike, it is pretty similar with the same purpose.

From my experience with the CR250:

-it's super light and nimble

-the power hit will be a handful in the tight stuff (flywheel weight will help if it doesn't have one yet)

-it will be fun on more open trails and flowing two track

-it will top out pretty quick in wide open spaces like Ocotillo Wells etc. gearing can help

Of course the experience on the CR250 and the 2 stroke wonder lead me to the trail bike 2 stroke. The KTM 300 XCW, way more fun for my style and preference of riding. Will be interested to see what you think.

Thanks Blake. Yea I have heard the same re flywheel. Going to ride this weekend, and see whats up. KTMs are undoubtedly in the future, as is every other kind of motorcycle.

Everybody roost Meatmord.

Did you pick up a ratio-rite yet ?

Or two spare spark plugs?

Or your spark plug wrench?

Or your 5 gallon quick dump fuel cell.

& 2 cycle oil.

You won't be changing the motor oil in this bike .

it doesn't use motorcycle oil.

It uses 2 cycle oil(premix)

If the 4strokes on a thumper are:

Suck

Blow

Push

Pull

Then what are the 2strokes on the smokers?