dirt dame

Bomber blog:Hand of Fate

Wow, what a read! Scary but so pertinent for what we do.

Glad he turned out OK.

Wow, what a read! Scary but so pertinent for what we do.

Glad he turned out OK.

My thoughts, exactly!

More than just an interesting read. That is an invaluable learning tool right there. Experience is the greatest teacher and wisdom is best gained from others experiences. Thank you for posting this article.

This happened two days after my neck surgery (which also involved C6-7 among other levels). I talked to Brian a day or two afterwards when he called me to see how my surgery had gone. He told me a little bit about Pat's crash but it was still very raw and he didn't say much other than Pat had fractured the same level I'd been operated on and that fortunately Pat was going to make a full recovery too. It's great to read the full story and be able to really appreciate all that happened.

I always wear my Leatt when I ride a little bike, but not when I ride the big ones. That is going to change forthwith.

I was first on scene about ten years ago when a friend of mine had a low speed crash on Otay Truck Trail. He couldn't feel or move his legs. Very terrifying experience. I assessed the situation while trying to remain calm, not easy. My phone didn't have service and I was starting to freak out a bit, but a few other riders showed up a few minutes later.

One of them rode back to a Border Patrol rider a mile or two back while the other one used his phone which had service to call 911. The BP had plenty of equipment so we got him on a backboard and took a slow ride to one of the landing pads while the helicopter came in to life flight him to the hospital. I had to call his parents and his fiance to let them know what I knew about the situation, what a way to meet his family.

My buddy ended up paralyzed from the waist down. I didn't want to ride for a while after that. I learned a lot, mostly that situations like this can occur even when you think it's just another day.

Wow. Anyone have the latest info on madivac insurance?

I was a member of this service for several years when I was riding Glamis every other weekend...

http://reachair.com/membership/

The problem, like the article pointed out, is you don't have an option which service gets dispatched to your incident and not all air ambulance providers service all areas. But the membership is inexpensive. For imperial county, REACH was one of two providers a couple years ago, so your chances were 50/50.

What are the options for neck braces? I was thinking they might restrict ability to look side to side?

Regarding the Leatt Neck Brace: They disappear and are un-restrictive when in use. The whole idea to to transfer the pressure to your shoulders and limit movement of head/neck. Like riding in running shoes, I don't feel comfortable without those good boots on. Think about what you spend on tires in a year and what is more important.

:shiftyeyes_anim:

DSCN00171000w1000w-L.jpg

DSCN00181000w1000w-L.jpg

DSCN00191000w1000w-L.jpg

DSCN00201000w1000w-L.jpg

My med insurance covers air evac but in a few years I will be on Medicare and I'm sure the gov won't cover it. The Reach Air bill for my accident last year was $47K of which the insurance co paid the full amount so check your policy as you may already have coverage. My injury was similar however I did not experience any paralysis. Was told by the docs that I was very lucky. Head\neck injuries are scary stuff.