tvscum

Chula Vista left hand turn fatal

Watch those left hand turn idiot drivers!

From CVPD:

On 4/30/15, at approximately 8:38 PM, the Chula Vista Police Department received several 911 calls reporting a traffic accident involving a motorcycle that had collided with a vehicle at the intersection of 5th Avenue and "E" Street. Officers arrived on scene and discovered that the vehicle was driven by a male adult and the motorcycle had a single occupant.

Witnesses at the scene stated the vehicle had made a left turn from westbound "E" Street onto 5th Avenue in front of the motorcyclist who was traveling eastbound "E" Street. Both vehicles had entered the intersection on a green light.

The motorcyclist was unresponsive and unconscious at the scene. He was transported to UCSD where he would succumb to his injuries.

At the time of the on-scene investigation, it appears the driver of the vehicle did not yield to the oncoming motorcyclist. It doesn't appear that alcohol or drugs is a factor in this collision.

The Chula Vista Police Traffic Division will be conducting the investigation.

They are trained to look for other cars and their brain just does not see us.

http://www.bikevis.com/motorcycle-led-running-lights.html

I put some bikevis bullets on my DR after a close call. I aimed them slightly outboard to catch the eye of traffic to the sides. There are probably other similar products but these were easy to install and damn bright. I also do the SMIDSY http://www.roadsafety.mccofnsw.org.au/a/84.htmlwhen conditions permit.

As we all know, you can do everything right and things happen. Hell - people in cars run into other cars all day long, just the price is higher on a bike.

I don't ride at night, especially for this reason. Your headlight blends into all the other lights and there is no depth perception for it. During the day, when I approach an intersection, I stand up on the pegs causing movement up and down. (My uncle-a motor officer- taught me that trick). Drivers are not used to seeing vertical movement, so it is more likely to catch their eye than horizontal movement.

Those headlight flasher type unit setups seem to grab my attention as a non-street bike rider cage driver. Don't know if anyone has compiled data on them but from a logical standpoint they seem to get attention.

I spent many years as a street bike rider with way too many close calls.

Terrifying when it happens, then infuriating!

I still think of the rocket motorcycles owner incident at least monthly, what a shame.

Thanks for the reminder tv, motivation for a light upgrade on the new daily

Rider.

I have a headlight modulator on my "street bike" and I can see a noticeable difference in drivers around me when it is flashing. Doesn't work after dark though (nor would I want it to)...for vertical movement I just lift the front tire a lot

Terrible . Ive been in 3 head-on collisions car vs motorcycle on street .and I was always on the motorcycle & Driver was always turning left.

Im sorry for the riders family.

I like the standing up at intersection trick, Mikey.

May as well your gonna go flying over the bars anyways.

The Ducati I just bought has white hyperlites front and red rear. I can switch the fronts to flashing and the rears flash when brakelight comes on. I have to say they're pretty slick and definitely get people's attention. I ran back from Phoenix at...reasonable speeds...and a lot of times people would move out of my way when they saw the lights flashing behind them.

http://www.hyperlites.com/hyperwhite.html