Sign in to follow this  
Afry

June 7th Flat track at Del Mar Fair - race your DS/MX bike!

Another Del Mar race is happening during the fair, they will have open knobby and run what ya brung classes. This is a great way to have some fun and try a little flat tracking while your at it. The track is a small 1/8th mile (low speed) and you would be racing against other non flat track riders on similar bikes. They also have street bike classes for the foolhardy types!

You will have to remove your front brake lever, secure your kickstand and maybe tape up serrated metal pegs with a little duct tape to pass tech inspection.

Unfortunately this time you cannot register online and must do it in person the night before @ the Double Tree Hotel by the track from 8-9PM. Entry is probably $45-50 and I heard no pit gate fee for this event.

*** WARNING - this type of behavior can lead to a new bike purchase***

I'll be there on my tracker with a new steel shoe (!)

I can't make it that weekend but would be interested in other run-what-ya-brung events.

The Del Mar races are your best bet.

Perris is a better track but they only allow knobbies up to 150cc.

The Del Mar races are your best bet.

Perris is a better track but they only allow knobbies up to 150cc.

There is online registration only for this event because of the fair. It's $50 (no additional pit fee) to race your bike in "Open Knobby" or "Run what ya brung" this Sunday.

You will have to remove your front brake lever (trust me you want to). Run 20-22 lbs pressure in your tires and if you feel it raise your forks in the triple clamps and loosen the spring on rear shock to lower it the same and go have some fun! Less then a 1/8 mile track so speeds are low and safe :)

The link to register is: http://www.ivlft.com/schedule/

I'll be there - come on out!

image-21.jpg

I went and see Arnie race today !

IMG_20150607_151715_018-L.jpg

IMG_20150607_151854_672-L.jpg

IMG_20150607_152933_748-L.jpg

We got to go and see him when he races in Perris. Today's track was rough and they had a lot of mickey mouse classes but it was good entertainment.

Great to see the Kug at the races! The track sure looked good at first:

post-14772-0-81731900-1433786828_thumb.j

But I think it had more sand in it this time and too much moisture so it didn't hold together and a blue groove never formed. If you got out of the inside line trying to pass on this small track there was no bite. I hit the hay bales coming off turn 4 after coming into 3 a little wide trying to pass and ended up losing a spot lol. Funny how the pros didn't have this problem....

I ended up with my worst finishes so far, 4th in both mains - one only had 7 riders and the other 13. Practice and conditioning are in order!

They had a motorcycle limbo contest that turned out to be a lot of fun to watch. Some of these guys get pretty darn low, I watched Travis Petton IV once almost lose it in a turn when his clutch lever got stuck in his boot - that's pretty low. He was looking strong to win this event when they dropped the bar on him as he was coming through and crashed him, hurt his foot so he bowed out.

Little (10 years old) iron man Travis IV won 6 of the 8 classes he raced on 85, 250 and 450cc bikes.

On the other end of the spectrum 74 year young Preston Petty was there on his electric bike and won his class in a photo finish - he still has it

post-14772-0-60448400-1433789987_thumb.j

How is the ATV rider that crashed on his last lap? That was a nasty spill. Looked like the ATV landed on him.

Did Vanjoosten man up, or puss out?

On the other end of the spectrum 74 year young Preston Petty was there on his electric bike and won his class in a photo finish - he still has it

attachicon.gifPP.jpg

What a stud... :good:

Vanjoosten said he had a sick kid at home - I should have asked for a doctor's note :D Todd Whiteside and his wife Dennie made it by.

Some crazy dude on what I think was a Yamaha R6 ran it in the "Run what ya brung class" :bigeyed:

I really wanted to attend this but had a scheduling conflict. This event looks awesome! I can’t think of anything more Americana than flat tracking at the fairgrounds.

Does anyone know of any flat track driving schools or workshops around?

Thanks,
Nick