Riveting RR, thanks for posting it. Probably not a good idea doing trips like that alone.....

The guy is alive and back in the USA...good for him. Damn, what an adventure! Maybe I'm just a puss, but that just doesn't sound like fun to me. I'd much rather go with 2 or 3 other guys on a WELL PLANNED baja adventure than a solo seat of the pants run.

The guy is alive and back in the USA...good for him. Damn, what an adventure! Maybe I'm just a puss, but that just doesn't sound like fun to me. I'd much rather go with 2 or 3 other guys on a WELL PLANNED baja adventure than a solo seat of the pants run.

He sure got dealt some tough obstacles... 4 or so (with some fluent Spanish speakers) is a perfect Baja group... I 've gone with one other, and we asked ourselves "what happens if one of us (not me) gets hurt?"

in the end... it ended up ok for him; not good, but no permanent injury or worse

Right? It's funny that this guy had the perfect piece of equipment for his style of riding, if I can put it that way.

Unsure if the Spot would've provided the same level of satisfaction or support.

BTW: I'm taking DanRider to Baja over his wife's loud, adamant pleas against it. What's the worst that could happen?

In response to that, I'll send her this RR just as we're leaving.

So a guy from NYC that has never been to Baja, ships a bike needing tires and brakes to SD and wants to ride to Cabo and back with no gps tracks by himself wearing street boots?

What could go wrong?

He went looking for adventure...uh...he found it...I wouldn't go too hard on him, though; he's posting about it and back in the US, not being picked apart by turkey vultures...things have turned out far worse for others.

There's another ADV thread right now...not ending up badly at all...about a guy who was laid off in the Mid West (?). Says "eff it, I'm going to Baja and find (a yet un-named) MX legend. And he did!

He's been living and riding with the guy for over a month now.

Two Baja dreams, two distinctly different endings.

(Would like to know who it is. I suspected Malcolm Smith, but he doesn't live in Baja, right? The guy's first name is Larry, so possibly Larry Roeseler who lives in Boulevard.)

The thread is titled something like, "Boonie goes to Baja in search of a Legend."

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1038623&highlight=Boonie

I have used the Spot GPS tracker device for years now and I really like it. I've never used the SOS feature, though I've used the tracking and "oops, I felkl down" feature. A few times.

After reading this guy's story, I am seriously considering the DeLorme In-Reach set-up. Though the unit itself is reasonably priced ($224 delivered for a refurb InReach SE), the plan I'd want would be over $300 annually. I just don't know...

http://www.inreachdelorme.com/product-info/subscription-plans.php

I activated the InReach that's been sitting on my desk for two months within an hour of reading this report. $300 per year is a big deal- but two-way texting is, too.

Interesting to note both SPOT and InReach use the GEOS service, so the SOS call goes to the same place. I'll tet on the the InReach and if it works well, I'll pull the plug on the SPOT.

I guess the texting feature is desirable.

I pay $150 a year for the Spot 2.

Is it worth double the cost? Maybe, to stay in contact with my peeps while on the road.

On second thought...

For me, it was the texting with responders- if I know they're on the way, one can shelter in place.

If none are coming, other actions might need to be taken. I also like to be able to convey the nature of a minor problem- bring a front sprocket, not a medivac helo and an extraction team.

I also like to be able to direct responders to the location (HEYYYY!! Over HERE!!!!) if they're having trouble finding me/us.

For that, I'll pay the extra $150.

But it did sit on my desk for months....

All good points, Paul.

Fast forward 2 weeks:

Dan and I are on the AZBCDR. I've once again put my Katoom tits up. Laying on my back in the middle of BFE --once again--I'll remember this conversation and say out loud to no one in particular (because Dan will be somewhere near Globe or Cameron by then), "Dammit, I sure wish I had the DeLorme righ now..."

All good points, Paul.

Fast forward 2 weeks:

Dan and I are on the AZBCDR. I've once again put my Katoom tits up. Laying on my back in the middle of BFE --once again--I'll remember this conversation and say out loud to no one in particular (because Dan will be somewhere near Globe or Cameron by then), "Bowers, you've once again proven your genius, and I sure wish I listened to you. And I know you told me to keep the high fender on, and if I'd followed your advice, this mud that packed my front wheel (It's springtime in Arizona, who'd have expected rain?) causing me to fall would have never happened...."

I fix.

You're welcome.

All good points, Paul.

Fast forward 2 weeks:

Dan and I are on the AZBCDR. I've once again put my Katoom tits up. Laying on my back in the middle of BFE --once again--I'll remember this conversation and say out loud to no one in particular (because Dan will be somewhere near Globe or Cameron by then), "Bowers, you've once again proven your genius, and I sure wish I listened to you. And I know you told me to keep the high fender on, and if I'd followed your advice, this mud that packed my front wheel causing me to fall would have never happened...."

I fix.

You're welcome.

Dammit, PMB, you prophetic SOB! I will lie in the dusty AZ dirt and/or deep mud --depending on the outcome of your prediction--and curse your "genius." But I won't post it on this site.

Nay, I would rather limp around like The Kug for years before I acknowledge that I should've listened to you.

PS: High fender kit for KTM 990 for sale or trade, against the sage advice of PMB.

Hey Rigger!

How about showing our friend Dan here one or two of the Colorado images of your mud-stuffed broken front fender?

"Thankfully, it was on my backpack, and not on my bike, because I couldn't move- my leg was just hanging, loose"

"Thankfully, it was on my backpack, and not on my bike, because I couldn't move- my leg was just hanging, loose"[/size]

I read that. Ouch. Excellent reminder.

I've heard, "tsk tsk" several times due to my penchant for carrying my Spot on the handle bars.

(Yes, I've seen the, "Dude, where's my bike?" video...)

Hey Rigger!

How about showing our friend Dan here one or two of the Colorado images of your mud-stuffed broken front fender?

Ha, I just saw this and did just that... in the fendah post

DD lets talk

I've been meaning to post this pic from the guy's ride report & go pro camera...

post-14322-0-72459300-1429404169.jpg

The protests have since calmed down and we've seen a few ride reports (esp Rigger's with excellent San Quintin pics) showcasing Baja "back to normal"