Sign in to follow this  
No Shift

Two riders on KTMs poaching Black Mountain

Where were you and why were they poaching and not you?

Just a question to you to get facts.

Riding where you shouldn't often results in money coming out of the OHV fund. The funds collected from red and green sticker money is up for grabs through grants. People can apply for money using ridiculous reasons like "dust education". A lot of environmentalist groups that have nothing to do with off-roading receive funds because of poaching. When I was reading through the list of recipients there were several preserves getting $100,000+ for fencing and restoration because of off-road damage. It's just a complete waste of money. If you don't respect the sign then you're going to pay for a fence.

This has been going on for years. I used to mountain bike in that area quite a bit and several times encountered dirt bikes. Yeah not cool but I don't think these are your average dirt enthusiasts so anything posted up here will likely go unnoticed by the perpetrators.

Not that I am sticking up for the two guys that were riding where you were hiking, but the OHV fund is a joke. It is supposed to be there to help maintain exsisting riding areas, and creating new ones. Instead, public riding areas are ignored, reduced and just plain closed down. The next important, unique and beautiful OHV area that has been targetted for closure is the Kern Plateau, AKA Kennedy Meadows. Sadly, it's no wonder that people "sneak" to enjoy a rare patch of dirt. I spend as much time on the road, going to and from legal riding areas sometimes, as I do actually riding the area once I get there. Back in the 70s and even into the 80s, there was "tons" of open land that nobody paid any attention to, that I enjoyed trail riding on.

Black Mtn in PQ or Ramona ?

It must have been PQ because the road to Black Mtn in Ramona is perfectly legal, right?

......., but the OHV fund is a joke. It is supposed to be there to help maintain exsisting riding areas, and creating new ones. Instead, public riding areas are ignored, reduced and just plain closed down.

https://www.govbuddy.com/directory/press/CA/fuller-responds-to-ohv-trust-fund-raid/24571/

Surely you jest.

And no, I'm not calling you Shirley.

Sure sick of the robbing to pay schemes myself.

......., but the OHV fund is a joke. It is supposed to be there to help maintain exsisting riding areas, and creating new ones. Instead, public riding areas are ignored, reduced and just plain closed down.

https://www.govbuddy.com/directory/press/CA/fuller-responds-to-ohv-trust-fund-raid/24571/

Surely you jest.

And no, I'm not calling you Shirley.

Sure sick of the robbing to pay schemes myself.

Yeah. Talk about "poaching" something. :thumbsdown_anim:

The article is about taking money from the OHV grant fund and putting it into the General Fund. The grant program will still exist and environmental groups will continue to receive funds from red and green sticker funds.

This is a description of the grant program There are links to the applications that detail why they want OHV money.

This is a list of fund recipients Scroll down to the non-profit section and take a look at the names.

Black Mtn in PQ or Ramona ?

It must have been PQ because the road to Black Mtn in Ramona is perfectly legal, right?

Yes it is.

The OHV fees are used for the general fund deficits and for area closures, fences, law enforcement. There has been no improvements or benefits to OHV riders. We had been waiting for anything positive to come from the generous funding from the OHV community.

"Press Releases > FULLER RESPONDS TO OHV TRUST FUND RAID

FULLER RESPONDS TO OHV TRUST FUND RAID Posted on 24 May 2012 for representative Jean Fuller

SACRAMENTO – Yesterday, a Senate subcommittee voted to strip money from California’s Off Highway Vehicle (OHV) trust fund program, nearly $21 million a year, for three years, to cover other budget programs. Senator Jean Fuller (R-Bakersfield) was the only legislator to vote NO. “These funds are specifically designated for the OHV program, reflecting years of negotiated formulas and fees between lawmakers and the OHV community,” said Senator Fuller. “But now, OHV funds are being used to cover budget shortfalls in other areas. This is just another example of why the people of California have lost trust with the majority in the legislature.” The vote to strip the fund was made in yesterday’s Senate Budget Subcommittee #2 (Resources, Environmental Protection and Transportation). The Governor announced in January of this year that the state was facing a $9.2 billion budget deficit. Last week, the Governor announced questionable revenue projections had distorted the figure and the budget deficit estimate is now at least $15.7 billion, an increase of more than $6 billion from his earlier estimate. In the last four budget years, a total of $133 million has been raided from the OHV trust funds for other uses. In fact, in a 2011-12 budget trailer bill, an additional $10 million of dedicated OHV trust funds were taken for the state’s general fund. State Senator Fuller represents the 18thSenate District, which includes Bakersfield, Visalia, Tulare, Ridgecrest, Tehachapi, Mojave, Taft, Kern River Valley, the Frazier Mountain communities, and other portions of Inyo and San Bernardino Counties. Follow her on Twitter @jeanfuller and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/jeanlfuller".