REV5

"Is privacy dead" something to think about

Watched a documentry last night. It really got me thinking and I would like to share it. "Term and condition may apply"

trackoff.us

Watched that a few weeks ago, really interesting show.

I recently swapped out a Kindle for a Samsung Galaxy tablet. All sorts of warning I'd never seen began popping up.

Apps that I download now insist that I share the contents of my hard drives and contact lists. (I don't allow that.)

The most worrisome item, however, is that my tablet keeps warning that it "can't see" my eyes. Why would that matter? It leads me to believe (please put on your tin foil hats now) that the cameras are operating more often than we think...

On (old school) email posts, I ask that my friends just add everyone under BCC so no one sees everyone else's name, etc. People don't realize how important their personal info is to others.

I do agree that privacy is pretty much dead.

Not sure about the Galaxy Tablet but my Samsung S4 has the ability to scroll pages as it looks at the eyes. I have that feature turned off. I suspect your Galaxy is doing the same thing.

Not sure about the Galaxy Tablet but my Samsung S4 has the ability to scroll pages as it looks at the eyes. I have that feature turned off. I suspect your Galaxy is doing the same thing.

Ah, good; I will turn that creepy feature off.

My point, though, was the cameras on tablets and smart phones can theoretically be used to relay info (photos, etc.) without our knowledge and consent.

Far fetched?

Not far fetched, privacy needs to be guarded. There are lots of stories on the net about surveillance that can be done without our knowing it.

I don't download any apps to my phone....and I am against all this technology crap ( not all )....this stuff will be the downfall of society and mankind....just like in the movies....someday

So. . . how many you guys drank the Facebook coolAid? The gift that keeps on giving . . . or taking? How does one divorce from that?

I stopped posting much on FB awhile ago....plus I realized how much time people waste on there....and much of it is superficial....I do like reading some stuff about some of my friends....but I'm no longer sucked in like I was for awhile.

“Power is in tearing human minds to pieces and putting them together again in new shapes of your own choosing.”

“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”

" So, I want you to get up now. I want all of you to get up out of your chairs. I want you to get up right now and go to the window. Open it, and stick your head out, and yell: I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!"

So. . . how many you guys drank the Facebook coolAid?

I have to admit I'm in pretty deep........I'm an extrovert so I enjoy it........it's also helped to promote CORE.....

I killed my FB account a couple of years ago and haven't looked back. I'm slowly weaning my wife off of it as well. I know if you closed your account for a week you'd never go back. I believe a big social media backlash is coming as people tire of sharing empty relationships over a computer screen.

/soapbox

I enjoy Facebook.

Several years ago, I all but dumped a successful business (yes, I still work) to be a full-time parent and spouse. This disconnected me from the "real" world and all the business and many personal connections that went with it. My job was often in the studio by myself, violently interrupted with photo shoots involving many people, clients, employees, vendors, then back to isolation.

My new job eliminated those connections- the new ones were PTA, non-profit foundations, and elementary school volunteering.

Facebook has been a very fun way to maintain those business connections (remember, I need to return to work at some point) and make new friends in the process. I don't have a lot of free time, and being able to connect on-the-fly has been crucial to staying as sane as I can possibly be.

Whatever Career2.0 will be for me, it's these connections that will likely be a cornerstone for that future. In the world of self-employment, it's not who you know, it's who knows YOU.

Yes, the signal-to-noise ratio is intolerable at times.

That's what LinkedIn is for. However, no one posts adorable cat pics or pics of their breakfasts so ymmv. :)

That's what LinkedIn is for.

Nope.

Best relationships are both business and personal.

And Linkedin is REALLY spammy. I also find my Linkedin relationships are the most superficial.

That's what LinkedIn is for.

Nope.

Best relationships are both business and personal.

And Linkedin is REALLY spammy. I also find my Linkedin relationships are the most superficial.

That's why I just sent you an invite.

Hold your breath waiting for my response.

Hold your breath waiting for my response.

I enjoy Facebook.

Yes, the signal-to-noise ratio is intolerable at times.

I admit it: I post pictures of my dinner... and my dog... my cat... my family... my bikes... the ocean. I have quite a few different lives; dirtbikes, music, family, friends, work... and I can superficially keep in touch with everybody at one time. you can respond or not, depending if you feel like it.

as for digging into my private life: I know all these different websites mine for information, but I've yet to see who it negatively affects me... maybe one day, ya'll will be able to say "I told you so"

One aspect of social media I do resent is the family of five sitting around a table, and everybody is on their damned cell phone... social media has replaced manners in some cases; I'm as guilty as the next person

My family / dogs, friends and a working dirt bike is all I need in this world….

The least amount of time that I can spend behind a computer screen the better

- Now go outside and get some dirt under your fingernails

I just heard that too. So pretty much anyone can examine packets even if they are encrypted.

Another funny thing, this morning I received a phone call saying, "because I visited an affiliated website I can receive a gift". What website and how did they get my cell nubern? what the heck.

Im moving to a small village with sick surf, singletrack and fishing.. and no cell or internet.

SOMETHING HAS TO CHANGE