A good frind of mine works for this company here in San Diego. If you don't care about the tracking of a Spot device this is a much lower cost way to still have an emergency beacon. There are no yearly subscription fees and they work anywhere in the world.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JGJ82P6/ref=pd_aw_sbs_8?pi=SS115

CiD

If enough people wanted one I could see about getting them from him at cost.

In some ways better than a spot. It does not track, but a PLB call is handled differently than a SPOT.

Nice Chris...have you used/tried one out?

In some ways better than a spot. It does not track, but a PLB call is handled differently than a SPOT.

Please explain the difference

It's my understanding (and I could be wrong- please correct me) is the PLB is registered with NOAA.

A SPOT call goes to SPOT, a private company who is supposed to respond, but may prove to be a weak link in the chain.

I don't have one yet. My friend just told me about this last night. I understand that they have 10's of thousands of rescues. I'll try and get one to check out. The only issue is you only use it in an emergency so there is no testing it. I like the idea of batteries lasting over 5 years.

CiD

I been thinking of a PLB for a few years.The Spot seems to be getting a bit more clunky. Spot is not the only game in town.

Also Sat phones have been made available for rental. Come all ready to go. I want to try one on our upcoming trip.

No matter what you still end up in .gov "hands". Just the intial handler is different.

I've been military for 11 years now. I'd almost have a better outlook if a private corporation handled my call for help compared to the government.

At least with a private corporation your family can sue. When you sue the government it's pretty much a lost cause.

I have a PLB and PMB is correct in that you register with NOAA.

I carried it with when offshore fishing. I used to do a lot of solo trips up to 80 miles offshore.

To be triggered in life and death situations only. You have two contacts and notes on file. If you activate it there is no turning it off. They will attempt to contact your listed contacts (that you hopefully told about your trip) and if its determined its not an accident the birds are in the air.

My ACR brand PLB (basically a small epirb) sends out GPS coordinates and I wouldn't buy one that doesn't. Mine has the ability to test the battery.

I bought my spot for $10 on adv and activated it using a discount code that gave me tracking and everything for under $100. Considering you can send customized non-emergency messages with the spot "hey I'm great" "hey I'm broken down but unhurt send help to coords I pinged" "SOS to those coords" I think it's actually a much better tool than just a prb for adventure riding.

There was a guy stuck in az on adv last month and spot did awesome coordinating his rescue efforts, it was the gubmint agencies who dropped the ball arguing about jurisdiction. He ended up spending the night in the desert with Injuries iirc.

I concur with Downs. I'd rather have a company involved handling my life or death situation than any government agency alone.

I think the advantages this system has over a Spot are that there are no yearly fees. Pay your $$$ one time and use the product for the next 20 years. Also the signal on this unit is better than the system Spot uses. The Spot does not cover most areas over the ocean and is spotty at best in the southern hemisphere (pun intended). I'm not suggesting that this is better for most ADV users in the US just an alternative device. I travel often to areas where a Spot doesn't work and would still like to be able to get help if needed.

CiD

I would also use Spot in the US and Baja when on the bike unless riding solo then I would use both. With the plb you don' t have the option of non-emergency help.

The plb is like bringing a tank to a knife fight.

I own a PLB. Bought it for my solo riding up to Canada a few years ago and my trip to Prudhoe Bay last summer as a backup to my Spot. You have to understand there are many differences between these two devices. The PLB will activate the SARSAT system that is monitored by USAF and activates DoD/DHS search and rescue. Also, most PLBs, in addition to sending out your GPS location via the SARSAT system, they also transmit on 121.5 MHz, which is the air distress frequency used by aviation. The great thing about that is that any aircraft (military and civilian, even small Cessnas and choppers) with the most basic of navigation devices, can home in on your location. This is a wonderful feature that will greatly enhance your survivability and quickness of finding you.

Spot has a private response center that will notify local authorities. Much different response systems. If it were life and death, or severe injury and time were of the essence, I would go with PLB without thinking twice. I would also activate Spot, but I've heard way to many stories of local yokels not knowing how to find a GPS location.