Pictures later...met some new guys, Jon (xr400) and Jeremy (klx250), and some familiar faces: bowers, trophy, kug, mctrails

I got a flat, and pinched the tube fixing it, so that took too much time

Jeremy was on street tires, and they took their toll on his plastics

Trophy was on his "new to him" DRZ250 and appreciated the lighter weight

I gota bunch of texts while waiting, so I cut my day a little short.

More details with the pictures

Fun Day. Thanks Alan for showing us around and around and around !

P.S. Jeremy is the man -street tires on a off road world.

I got a flat, and pinched the tube fixing it, so that took too much time

:rolleyes:

Jeremy earnin' his keep.

DSCN0680_zpsdc83f243.jpg

Mockers and miscreants inbound

DSCN0682_zpsaf72ffc7.jpg

Head mocker - he came by that name honestly.

DSCN0683_zps0fa65166.jpg

Jeremy inspecting the flora and fauna of Lark

DSCN0686_zpsa13ae795.jpg

The weather couldn't be any better

DSCN0687_zpsfbf9f491.jpg

Thanks to all and congrats to Jeremy. After an assessment of his riding skills from his forest road excursions while stationed in Germany, the single track started. He did extremely well with worn Shinko 705's and re-arranged his plastics while cutting a radiator hose. Thx to McTrails for having the Rescue Tape on hand. Great ride lead, group and a Prince rendition by PMB. I was the only other rider with a radio so you'll have to take my word for it.

Smiles all around.

Great ride lead, group and a Prince rendition by PMB. I was the only other rider with a radio so you'll have to take my word for it.

Women, not girls, rule my world, I said they rule my world

Act your age, mama, not your shoe size, maybe we could do the twirl

(Not your shoe size)

You don't have to watch Dynasty to have an attitude, uh

You just leave it all up to me, my love will be your food, yeah

You don't have to be rich to be my girl

You don't have to be cool to rule my world

Ain't no particular sign I'm compatible with!

I just want your extra time and your

…..kiss

Had a good time guys. Dug the singletrack stuff. Nice to meet some new faces, good to see you again trophyhunter.

p.s. when most of yas left we went for another round and wound up christening my towstrap... durn newfangled bikes with there batray n coont n stuff. :crazy: Lots of bike carnage today boys! :drinks:

Had a good time guys. Dug the singletrack stuff. Nice to meet some new faces, good to see you again trophyhunter.

p.s. when most of yas left we went for another round and wound up christening my towstrap... durn newfangled bikes with there batray n coont n stuff. :crazy:/> Lots of bike carnage today boys! :drinks:/>

I'm mind boggled, we have never had to tow a bike a bike out at McCain and especially that bike, its been bullet proofed and stone reliable for 1.5 years. And of course just when she was on the sales floor!! I'll get er fixed and rolling by next week. Thanks for the tow strap, Ive got one, just need to do Baja inventory for my backpack and reload it.

Jeremy earnin' his keep.

DSCN0680_zpsdc83f243.jpg

Mockers and miscreants inbound

DSCN0682_zpsaf72ffc7.jpg

Head mocker - he came by that name honestly.

DSCN0683_zps0fa65166.jpg

Jeremy inspecting the flora and fauna of Lark

DSCN0686_zpsa13ae795.jpg

The weather couldn't be any better

DSCN0687_zpsfbf9f491.jpg

Thanks to all and congrats to Jeremy. After an assessment of his riding skills from his forest road excursions while stationed in Germany, the single track started. He did extremely well with worn Shinko 705's and re-arranged his plastics while cutting a radiator hose. Thx to McTrails for having the Rescue Tape on hand. Great ride lead, group and a Prince rendition by PMB. I was the only other rider with a radio so you'll have to take my word for it.

Smiles all around.

That Rescue Tape looks like awesome stuff... :coolio:

Yup - saved the hose for the rest of the ride and his ride home from my house. I had some.....in the truck blush.gif

Robert...YOU got towed out or Christian?

A "comedy" of weirdness, 1st I drove out with 2 well prepped 310s all fat dumb and happy to be selling my TE310 to the ex owner of a big TE510, bike has been perfect and is fully tuned and well prepped/replastic'd for the sale.

Starter relay is now a little recalcitrant (I love that word), no biggie a new one is on order, bike starts super easy with kick starter anyway.

#2 Christian forgets his helmet, he uses mine.

#3 in the shuffle of helmet sharing I lose/drop/-lose my favorite dental bite/mouthpiece.(I have another but my fave was super comfortable)

#4 TE310 bike is not idling very well she is stalling---never I repeat never has this bike done that.

I adjust the idle up a little bit but she still sounds a little off to me, I'm thinking a little water maybe.

#5 good stuff intro Christian to the group.

#6 good stuff I accept payment for the bike and we do paperwork......

#7 Chris goes out with 2 other SDAR cadre and the 2 return with no Chris...

I tow Chris back, bike has zero compression....will get to work this week

Payment for bike returned. Bike is back in my garage, could be a simple auto decomp fail (hope) or a new top end...I'll find out soon!!

Good news after all was clear I got to cleanse my soul and put in a race pace loop on my TXC310R, I felt safe but was keeping an eye out for the KXF with WORCS BLU/YEL number plates, he appeared to be fast.

Good news is that like I always say its just a machine, no magic, a mech fail that needs to be fixed, and its always an adventure. Thanks to 97xr400r and Mctrails for the assist.

KXF-450? If so, that is Andy Acevedo; I've chased him around Lark a few times, and he goes at a pretty good clip

Thanks for all the good times with our ride guys! Well, most of it good times except for the flat tire, broken radiator hose and Team Husky issues. I enjoyed the chance to lead the group.

Bikeslut put on one of his "Classic" tube changing demonstrations. ALWAYS a good time to watch and heckle him with that! :heh: Then I got to use my magic rescue tape to help repair a hole in a radiator hose. That tape has come in real handy a couple of times. Good stuff to have on hand when needed.

Sorry for Robert and Christian to have to deal with those pesky mechanical problems in the middle of a sales/purchase deal between them. I know Robert will make it good and then everyboby will be happy! :) It should be noted that those guys did an awesome job of towing the bike back to camp. I've been involved in a couple of "tow jobs" and they did a great job with it.

I let Christian wear my helmet on the way back to camp because I though it more likely that he might need it being towed. Have to admit I had mixed feelings riding a motorcycle without a helmet on in the over regulated state of California. It felt good to feel the breeze over my head and the freedom that brings. At the same time I felt a little concerned that the BLM rangers might be at camp when we returned and would have to spank me for being a hooligan. (Hopefully the NSA isn't monitoring this conversation. I really didn't ride without a helmet only made the statement for the dramatic effect.)

Well, you guys had a pretty good sized group. Good to see people getting out.

I rode with a few others (not from your group) that day out at McCain and unfortunately like Bob, Robert and a few others it was a day of bike issues in one form or another.

First, I lost my reserve radiator overflow cap (initiate coolant pee time on left boot), then I noticed my seat locking pin decided it could not leave a man behind and jumped ship after the reserve cap. I know both were locked on prior to the ride and have never had either of these take off in 7 years. Chalk up two more donations to McCain land.

Then on the ride back to the truck I find a 15lb to 20lb waist belt full of tools, a tow strap and an ooold iPhone. Damn, that was heavy. But then again I don't carry a load like that at McCain, so anything would be heavy to me. I arrive back at the truck parked near Robert to find him having 310issues. Talk to Christian a bit to hear that he is all happy about his 310 purchase-----no worries Christian, Robert will get her all set up and running smooth for you.

Not too long later I flag down a KTM coming off the trails. He's not the guy that lost the the hip sand bag, but he was looking for it as it was his buddies. Given the phone and the tools, it was definitely something someone would not be happy to lose. I lost about $14 in parts Sunday, but that bag was definitely a much bigger loss. I was going to post it on the forum, but I'm not even sure they're on it. Glad I ran in to them back at the staging area.

Even though the ride was cut a bit short, in all it was good to get out as I had been off the bike for almost 2 months due to holidays, a couple of illness bouts and an injury. Good seeing and chatting with some of you...Robert, Bob, Christian, the Trials guy and whomever else. No matter what happens on the trail, it's always a good ride day when we make it back safe and sound.

P.S. Bob do you have a count on how many flats you've had over the years? Wait that's probably too big of a number, how about just in 2014? :heh: :heh: :torch:

No matter what happens on the trail, it's always a good ride day when we make it back safe and sound.

:thumbsup_anim:

Jeremy- all good? Haven't heard from you...sorry about all the damage to your bike, hope you can get it all fixed, and are back on the trail soon

A full set of DRZ plastics runs $120...edge taillight was in the $50 range

But...new rubber will really keep you more upright. I run street tires on my 650 and feel your pain

Just now got back to the forum, good pictures better ride. I have not had that much fun riding for a long time, I am going to get back at it as soon as I find my new favorite tail light. Already ordered the new hose and I am looking at tires too. Very good first ride I will be going out with this group again

Just now got back to the forum, good pictures better ride. I have not had that much fun riding for a long time, I am going to get back at it as soon as I find my new favorite tail light. Already ordered the new hose and I am looking at tires too. Very good first ride I will be going out with this group again

Was something wrong with mctrail's bandage job? Seemd to hold pertty well, and it is, after all, a KLR.

Maybe a few wraps with tape around the new hose just to keep the ethos intact.

Right...its a KLX, not a KLR

KLR riders would never buy a new hose....duct tap and bubble gum

Jeremy- glad you had fun...it sure looked like fun! wish I was running a GoPro!

I'm curious all, what was the SDAR bike breakdown from this days get together? Can you guys figure up a list? or each list your machine so I can compile a bike list. I can think of a few including Logrollers 450Hushy and McTrails 310, BS DRZ400, PBs 525(?)

I would like to know a breakdown of the DS group.

Mine could be called a 525, if one uses a loose definition.

Jeremy was riding a KLX250

Trophy a DR250

Trophy a DR250

Trophy on a DRZ250... I don't what the difference is, but it seems like it has the old DR250 air-cooled engine, but a frame more like the DRZ

I didn't notice Alan's bike... it was a 310?

Rob- if I may ask? Why are you curious about the bikes? One thing I generally find interesting on SDAR rides in general, and noob rides in particular, is the differences in bike choice.

Just proves there is more than one approach

Trophy a DR250

Trophy on a DRZ250... I don't what the difference is, but it seems like it has the old DR250 air-cooled engine, but a frame more like the DRZ

I didn't notice Alan's bike... it was a 310?

Rob- if I may ask? Why are you curious about the bikes? One thing I generally find interesting on SDAR rides in general, and noob rides in particular, is the differences in bike choice.

Just proves there is more than one approach