carguy

Newb sand graduation?

So with all the new interest, I was thinking "how about some sand?" That being said, sand is not for all and is a step up from mountain fire trails. It does take more speed to stay upright. If there is an interest I could setup a 1/2 day ride Ocotillo loop. This would most likely not be good for big bikes unless your confident with it in the sand. I have taken the loop on my 950 Adventure. Then breakfast/lunch Ocotillo. Any interest for this Saturday??

Looks like a ride! Meet at the old Texaco just off the freeway to the right. Stands up 0800, this Saturday the 4th of January 2014. I plan on trucking to there, Evan Hewes West to Dos Cabeza Rd? to Notero Canyon back to Dos Cabeza cross S-2 then skirt along the mountain in the sand washes back to Ocotillo. From there we can call it or continue around the desert. There is a mix of deep wash sand jeep trails and sand washes. It is a small loop and can be done at speed in a couple hours There are a couple bailouts. If you want to learn or improve your skills showup :coolio:/>/>

EDIT**** This is a plated ride, we will be passing through State Park and riding on the pavement for a short time *****

Last time I was in Ocotillo there was not a gas station, gas up in Jacumba first.

CG,

Cut these gents a little slack! They just left Starbucks, now you want to take them to Africa? There is time, take it slooow. To my mind it would be best to have the novice out-numbered in the sand. The reverse could be a Disaster!

You leaders are doing the Club a great service. The Brave and Bold are welcome to jump in any of the so-called intermediate rides and get coaching if needed. Just bring knobbies and lunch.

SandBagger ohmy.gif

Cool 990 leading??

For sand riding, I'm not the droid you're looking for.

I'm a struggler. Sand is my personal Kryptonite.

While this ride may not be "new to dirt" friendly, I vote march on, John. Those interested in giving sand a try can go for it.

I'm in the PMB camp.....at least with 370 lbs of DR under me with my limited skills.

For the newer to dirt riders, post up like one did for NY Day and somebody will probably join in.

sounds fun. I may be in on this also

-----Uncle Champ---Wildwood----paying attention?

Cool 990 leading??

I,too, have been trying to improve my sand riding. I am somewhere between Starbucks and Africa.

Plus, I am saddled with liking big bikes, so ride in sand I must.

But I sure do wnat to improve my sand riding abilities.

Lurking...

I'd be on the Drz...

Cool 990 leading??

For sand riding, I'm not the droid you're looking for.

nonsense... you did quite well at the Alternate Dash Ride in Feb... yeah; you had your share of plowing on the really deep stuff, but you held your own with a bunch of smokers and that one exceptional rider on the DRZ

OH man sand! As long as there is no uphills or rocks or downhills or sand (oh yeah sand is in the title). I am a definite maybe.

Wildwood?

sand- It's all about attitude... if you want to ride tentative and slow, it'll be a lot of work

If you can get the grasp of "flow", steering with the rear tire, etc. it can be ok.

Still not my favorite, but getting enough confidence to negotiate sand opens up a lot of opportunities in San Diego

If this ride starts in the town of Ocotillo, the sand doesn't get real deep right away... so you can gradually improve as the day wears on

OK that is enough for me. Check first page for update.

-----Uncle Champ---Wildwood----paying attention?

Si!

I'm interested and available.

I may have to postpone this, Having some electrical issues with the orange elephant. I don't want to push it in the sand

I may have to postpone this, Having some electrical issues with the orange elephant. I don't want to push it in the sand

The button has already been pressed. My friend is going to be at his place in Salton City next weekend, I'm doing Ocotillo to Truckhaven/Salton City and back if nothing' else.

This bike has been plagued with gremlins :torch: since I got it. Cleaned rerouted resealed re-taped and charged and it seems OK. The system tested good, something must have gotten knocked loose. I don't have a lot of confidence in it right now, but I will give it a go. Worst case I have to bail early and truck it home.

Thanks for the sand tips. I've been working to improve my sand skills, but what's required is just hours in the sand.

I can tell you that Ken, Sondra and Dana were "quite a bit" faster than me in the soft stuff during a 2013 Mike's run.

But that's OK; next time it's personal!

Lurking...I'm no newb to sand though. Been riding dirt bikes in Glamis and the rest of the desert since the 1980's.

If you would like to play in the sand with support and tips, we will ride out 0800. Short loop then Breakfast/lunch and more if wanted. See ya tomorrow. :coolio:

Lurking...I'm no newb to sand though. Been riding dirt bikes in Glamis and the rest of the desert since the 1980's.

I had a big old RM400 that I kept in Baja and rode quite a bit when down there. Sold that in SD recently, but that's another story.

Anyhow, I never had issues in sand of any kind with that bike.

Fast forward to the big bikes (KLR, Katoom) and it's a whole different experience.

The weight and height make a big difference and I'm learning to master the soft stuff again.