Drabnor

possibly going orange?

I'm looking to get a new(used) bike in the very near future and am looking at possibly drinking the orange kool-aid. Looking for something with more power than my CRF230(not very hard to get more power than this) but don't want anything near or over 300 lbs...

Anyone here have a 530 exc-r? How do you like it? Any chance I could arrange a test ride?

viable options. for street legal 2014 models

KTM 500EXC

KTM 350EXC-F

comparable

Beta models of the RS line

400RS

450RS

520RS

viable options. for street legal 2014 models

KTM 500EXC

KTM 350EXC-F

comparable

Beta models of the RS line

400RS

450RS

520RS

Whoops! I didn't mean brand new, just new to me. Sorry for the confusion!

I'm looking to get a new(used) bike in the very near future and am looking at possibly drinking the orange kool-aid. Looking for something with more power than my CRF230(not very hard to get more power than this) but don't want anything near or over 300 lbs...

Anyone here have a 530 exc-r? How do you like it? Any chance I could arrange a test ride?

I know a few guys have that or similar models- you will love the lighter weight and great power these bikes make

They can be on the tall side (don't know how tall you are)

hope you find what you are looking for

I know a few guys have that or similar models- you will love the lighter weight and great power these bikes make

They can be on the tall side (don't know how tall you are)

hope you find what you are looking for

I'm 5'10" and 160lbs, that's the main reason I don't want a BRP(xr650r), I don't want something that out weighs me by 2x...

A low seat may be a worthwhile mod if it ends up being too tall for me to be comfortable.

I've got an 2008 530 EXC-R. I bought it new in 2010 from AAKTM in Ramona. I did some research before I bought it and the only concern I had at the time was that there were some reported instances(internet chatter)of the XC4 engines pumping engine oil through the barrier between the crankcase and the transmission. The problem, if it occured would have been covered under warranty, so I bought the bike. RJ @ AAKTM stressed the importance of following the service schedule and he insisted that I service the air filter after every ride. I have followed his advise and meticulously maintained the bike. It now has over 2000 miles on it, all dirt. It has never let me down. I have never regretted spending the money, and it appears to be holding its value pretty well. If I were to buy a 530 used, I would look for a bike with a documented maintenance history.

My buddy rides an older KTM 450 with the RFS motor. I dont know if my 530 is any faster on the trail than his 450, I just think my 530 wears the rear tire out a little faster. Many other guys on here may chime in on the 450 vs. 530 question. I think both are plenty fast.

The stock bike was a bit short for me. I'm 6'-4" tall. I put a taller seat on mine, and I lowered the pegs 1/2". I may even get bars with a bit more rise.

When I bought it, it was more bike than I needed, but as I gain experience riding it and setting the suspension, I am starting to realize that there might be a reason for the orange hype.

No regrets at all.

Test ride?... maybe after a long interview process. :)

I'm looking to get a new(used) bike in the very near future and am looking at possibly drinking the orange kool-aid.

I think you can get a shot for that......

I have a 2010 EXC530. Lots of fun with ample power and low weight. I am also 5'10 and it is a little tall but I don't have any trouble. When I was shopping and comparing weights I found this video on youtube. I was on a pig of a KLX650 at the time so this video pretty much sealed the deal.

I had a 08 530 EXCR and it was a great bike eventually after getting it sorted out. Stock suspension was horrible, did have oil burning and migration problems all which I fixed. Later years are progressively better but the updated motor design with single sump in 2012+ with 500EXC is even better if you can afford it.

I have a 2010 530 exc - That I'm looking to sell in the very near future - you are welcome to take it for a spin.

its a great bike and would love to keep it, but clearing room in the garage. It has never let me down and has guided me through many adventures

not set on a price yet, and I will put more info on the board shortly

I have a 2010 530 exc - That I'm looking to sell in the very near future

Whyyyy?

Love my '09 530, many are happy with the 450's too. The 350 however, to me, felt more like a 250F with a big bore kit ie.

it's more of a revver with noticeably less off the bottom. It's prob. just as fast on top, but you have to work it more imho.

There is an argument they all have plenty of off road power, so depends if you like more of a torquer or a revver.

Another reason I went 530 is the option with supermoto wheels and having street torque.

The 530 is a hooligan wheelie machine with SM wheels/tires and the displacement is a big part of that.

They're all nice bikes, but if a noticeable torque improvement is what you want, I'd go 530/450.

As mentioned above, the 08's had some case/ring/head issues that were resolved in '09. My '09 has been trouble free,

I'd have no qualms getting an '08 if the PO had engine rebuild doc. to resolve the issues though. Suspension wise I noticed a big diff.

just having the oil changed, went higher on the fork oil and backed the clickers out a couple, more plush with same bottoming resist.

After doing some thinking, I'm leaning more towards the 350 EXC-F...

Yep, put down a deposit on it. Will pick it up on the 22nd...

After doing some thinking, I'm leaning more towards the 350 EXC-F...

Yep, put down a deposit on it. Will pick it up on the 22nd...

Nice!

Nice!

Thanks! It's going to be a nice upgrade from my 230L of Furry...

Now I have to decide if I want to drop the $ on a BD Squadron XL or go with auxiliary LR4's

Squadron XL = 4300 lumens = $375 + dimmer and shipping

http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDetail?ItemNumber=500010

pair of LR4 = 7000 lumens = $153 with free dimmer and shipping included

http://ledrider.com/shop/?model_number=LR4P-FD

Leaning HEAVILY towards the aux LR4's...

Nice!

Thanks! It's going to be a nice upgrade from my 230L of Furry...

Now I have to decide if I want to drop the $ on a BD Squadron XL or go with auxiliary LR4's

Squadron XL = 4300 lumens = $375 + dimmer and shipping

http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDetail?ItemNumber=500010

pair of LR4 = 7000 lumens = $153 with free dimmer and shipping included

http://ledrider.com/shop/?model_number=LR4P-FD

Leaning HEAVILY towards the aux LR4's...

You will not be unhappy with the Squadron......Love mine

The XL has an internal 50% dimming mode.

What lights do you have on the 230 currently?

Also, I saw your post on ADV about the Trail Jammer clutch cover protector - I'm thinking about one too but for the Yamaha I have.

Congrats on the 350!

The XL has an internal 50% dimming mode.

What lights do you have on the 230 currently?

Also, I saw your post on ADV about the Trail Jammer clutch cover protector - I'm thinking about one too but for the Yamaha I have.

Congrats on the 350!

I don't think 50% dimming is low enough for road use, so it would need a program-able dimmer for sure. It does end up with a really clean install, but the price is out of my league...

On the 230 I'm running an HID hi/lo conversion in the h4 headlight along with a pair of Model 30 and a single Model 44 from:

http://stores.advmonster.com/model-30-led-off-road-spot-light/

http://stores.advmonster.com/model-44-led-off-road-flood-light/

Approx 8500 lumens(3500 from hid, 3000 from pair of 30s, 2000 from the 44)

IMAG0351.jpg

Cant wait to pick it up on the 22nd! Going to order the 5.1 gallon tank for it shortly :coolio:

Picked her up on Saturday. :thumbsup_anim: 2014 350 EXC-F

Rode 35 miles to get her broken in, saw this when I parked. :grrr:

IMAG1531_zps77c0af35.jpg

After sitting for a bit, still dripping. :thumbsdown_anim:

IMAG1538_zpsdb5f64ca.jpg

So back to the dealer she goes! :bye: Ended up being just the clutch cover gasket. :good: At least I got an oil change out of it . :dance2:

Now the real fun begins!

IMAG1539_zps354e9d53.jpg

IMAG1540_zpse1d89c46.jpg

De-smog is in progress. Prepping for more mods and maintenance, partial list in no particular order(except the seat, that one HAD to be done ASAP):

Seat Concepts seat :thumbsup_anim:

5.3 Acerbis tank

Tm Designworks chain sliders and guard with BPD guard

Tm Designworks skid plate

BPD radiator guards

Fork bleeders

Trail Jammer Designs clutch case saver and exhaust guard

Dirt Tricks timing chain tensioner and sprocket dome washer

KTM 13T countersprocket

48T rear sprocket

Giant Loop Coyote

Shorai Battery

ADV Monster voltmeter

Pair of LR4 LED lights

JD Jetting tuner

other stuff I can't remember right now

I have a new Etx12A Earth X lith battery you can get for a deal.

Pm If interested.

I have a new Etx12A Earth X lith battery you can get for a deal.

Pm If interested.

The Shorai is already installed, thanks for the offer though!