KLXBEN

Coyotes NOT welcome

I love my wife. Just now when leaving to go to the store she see's a huge coyote. She promptly runs inside and grabs the old 12 ga. Jacks in 3 rounds and runs toward the coyote. Down on one knee takes aim and BAM! that scares the animal and he runs away only to get round two in his ass!!! The neighbor was just telling us about a coyote that had ahold of her dog and he was lucky enough to get away. She didn't kill him , but at least he knows he's not welcomed. Next time I get out the 30.06 and let her get him for real.

Happened too fast to get a pick...But you get the idea. Doesn't every husband buy his wife a pink rifle for Christmas? :heh:

post-13344-042928600 1381550177_thumb.jp

Our Dachshund dog disappeared one night about a month ago, I'm almost positive that a coyote got him. They are pretty bad in my neighborhood for some reason. Living in town I can't quite use the 12 gauge. Wish I had a good crossbow.

Our Dachshund dog disappeared one night about a month ago, I'm almost positive that a coyote got him. They are pretty bad in my neighborhood for some reason. Living in town I can't quite use the 12 gauge. Wish I had a good crossbow.

they are even in residential areas... they have lost most of their fear of people, and that makes them even MORE dangerous for pet owners.

I try to respect wild animals right to space, but when they start picking off family pets, they need to be "redirected"

Here's one for all the domestics that have been picked off. My dear bully-mutt Alice caught this half-grown coyote in our yard and cut its career short. Unfortunately, Alice's own prey drive compelled her to escape and hunt our surrounding fields until she finally ended up on the freeway. Caltrans corridors actually serve as a wilderness route for coyotes in urban areas. We have several hundred feet of chain link which coyotes regularly dig under. In the winter and spring pairs of coyotes often challenge my dog at the fence at night. One will charge the fence and race back and forth with the dog while the second waits about 30 feet away. I think the program is to tire the dog and then attack.

post-15323-025742600 1381614222_thumb.jp

Yes they are known to lure males out with females in heat. Then the most common I've heard is they start with the achelies tendon

My family was devastated by the loss of our dog. My wife moved the Ruger 10/22 by the door, but I told her she shouldn't use it since it's a felony to discharge firearms in city limits.

Anyway, she got a Rhodesian Ridgeback dog from the pound to replace the doxie, since it's a dog bred for keeping lions at bay I think he will do fine with the coyotes.

Can you really blame the Coyotes ? We encroached upon their territory and they do what they have to for survival.

Small pets are easy pickin's. They are just like bears...bears go where the food is easy to get.

yeah, I'm ready to catch some flack for this response. :unsure:

Can you really blame the Coyotes ? We encroached upon their territory and they do what they have to for survival.

Small pets are easy pickin's. They are just like bears...bears go where the food is easy to get.

yeah, I'm ready to catch some flack for this response. :unsure:/>

lol yea but technically your right.

the bigger worry more than pets(id kill for my pets lol) is them attacking people which tends to be dangerous when you have young children.

No; you can't blame the coyotes, but I don't have to let them eat my pets, etc

As Leo said...I was riding Penasquitos canyon once with a girl and I heard her scream; turned around to see what's up, and she said a coyote ran after her, snapping at her leg, etc.

While I don't necessarily suggest killing them (in my case anyway) I do suggest making them as wary of humans as possible. They're wild and dangerous animals, and leaving trash for them, dog food, pets and small livestock will bring them in closer, acclimate themto humans, and then the real trouble can start

My MIL had 20 chickens wiped out by coyotes (yes; they were in a coop)...if I had a gun while that was happening, I wouldve plucked a few.

No "flack"...just a difference in perspective.

My family was devastated by the loss of our dog. My wife moved the Ruger 10/22 by the door, but I told her she shouldn't use it since it's a felony to discharge firearms in city limits.

Anyway, she got a Rhodesian Ridgeback dog from the pound to replace the doxie, since it's a dog bred for keeping lions at bay I think he will do fine with the coyotes.

Good choice! They would have a rough time with your dog. We replaced Alice with another rescued Bull-Mix. I have a friend who lives on the north edge of Santee. His male Pitbull has survived 5 coyote fights.

There may be an exception to the firearms rule with regards to protecting your own animals. I am not sure if it applies to livestock only or to domestic pets as well. My neighbor dumped 2 of his neighbors dogs with a 22 as they were mauling his poultry. The dog owner called the Sheriff and he, not the shooter, was found to be at fault for not keeping his dogs in the yard.

Yeah, I don't blame them, but I don't buy the they-were-here-first stuff. Firstly, coyotes have vastly expanded their own range since the pioneer days. Secondly, this land belongs to humans; we pay taxes, manage resources, run the show, etc. I have a right and duty to defend my peeps, pets, and possessions. Coyotes have ZERO rights.

Yeah and I guess rats and mice.

CiD

1381632766[/url]' post='160552']
1381631756[/url]' post='160551']

Coyotes and gophers the only mammals I'll still kill.

Chris

add squirrels haha

and skunks....a skunk was coming back every night to eat my dogs food so I shot at him with my .22 rifle one time, living in a neighborhood....it was about 2am and the shot was a lot louder than I expected, startled the hell out of my roommate.

The skunk never came back.

I live on 89 acres in the middle of Campo. The Coyotes have tons of rabbits, squirrels, quail etc to eat. Our dogs are fed inside and our dumpster has a lid. They have been getting closer since we have lived here. I hate to kill animals that I don't eat but I feel we need to put the message out that this is not a safe place to come for a meal. The shots didn't kill of injure the coyote just scared him.

I live on 89 acres in the middle of Campo

So...the OBVIOUS question is:

Why don't we ride around your property?!?! You been holdin' out on us?

This one died suddenly while looking for a meal about 12 feet from my back door.

post-15323-041512400 1381641144_thumb.jp

I don't blame the coyotes for our dog issue. We didn't have our fence up since we were working on our backyard, our dogs never ran away or had any issues but I guess the coyotes figured it out. It's our fault the dog disappeared. The backyard retaining wall is done and we have a fence up again. Since we got the new dog, we aren't seeing as much coyote poo on the property.

I have a Ruger Single Six revolver, the .22 super quiet Colibri ammo is awesome. Sounds about as loud as a hand clap, maybe the hammer dropping is louder. Penetrates well at close range.

I have the same gun. The Colibri ammo will not do the job; unless you get a head shot, it won't even kill a squirrel. Years ago I dropped a coyote with a CB short to the head, as it was all I had handy at the time; but for the most part .22 is just not enough. I have taken several with .22Mag however. But it is LOUD - especially out of the Single-Six.

I live on 89 acres in the middle of Campo

So...the OBVIOUS question is:

Why don't we ride around your property?!?! You been holdin' out on us?

Before Brad left for the Marines he HAND cut at least a mile of single track. I told him to make some hard loops and he did. WAY hard loops. Kicked my ass one day. Anybody who wants to come up and run them is welcome. There is one loop that goes over lichen covered boulders and is very technical.

I have the same gun. The Colibri ammo will not do the job; unless you get a head shot, it won't even kill a squirrel. Years ago I dropped a coyote with a CB short to the head, as it was all I had handy at the time; but for the most part .22 is just not enough. I have taken several with .22Mag however. But it is LOUD - especially out of the Single-Six.

I shot a crow once with those super colibris. Seems strong enough for small pests. Try it in your 22 rifle, and hold the action closed when you shoot it and it works well and super quiet.

Before Brad left for the Marines he HAND cut at least a mile of single track. I told him to make some hard loops and he did. WAY hard loops. Kicked my ass one day. Anybody who wants to come up and run them is welcome. There is one loop that goes over lichen covered boulders and is very technical.

Nice there ought to be quail up there as well. Morning quail hunt then running the trails. Now that would be a good day. How do you ever leave your home.

and skunks....a skunk was coming back every night to eat my dogs food so I shot at him with my .22 rifle one time, living in a neighborhood....it was about 2am and the shot was a lot louder than I expected, startled the hell out of my roommate.

The skunk never came back.

I live down town Ramona and my dogs have killed 3 skunks under my house of course 2:30, 3:00 and 2:45 AM.

Yes they did get sprayed and the house too.