Awesome looking trip, officially jealous !!! Lol...thanks for sharing, looked like one epic adventure !!!

Kinda gives me PTSD flashbacks of AZ. Nicely done.

I will tell you straight up...much more challenging...harder sections, more of them, and longer days

Sounds like full days of "The Hiking Trail"....which is where my PTSD comes from king.gif

Well done all around. The Rincon looks uninviting to a DR650 rider...

Great report and pictures guys! I will try to get some of my pics and videos up soon. I got some excellent video for my first time doing it. Just have to figure out how to edit them and get them posted to Utube when I have time. Many thanks to everyone for an excellent time and wonderful adventures. It was a good group and we had a lot of fun together sharing trail rides and campfire stories. That place has excellent single track trails that remind me of the stuff I ride in Utah and Colorado only its closer to home. I'm definately going back any chance I get.

Thank you to BikeSlut for the excellent camp meals, to Jon for leading us on awesome trails, to Brad for hauling our bikes and stuff with his "big rig", to Kato for being a great passenger in my truck and for his trail/camp entertainment, and to Josh for joining us to make a perfect group of 6 riders. I'm glad I had the chance to share these adventures with you guys. Lets do it again soon.

Very impressive ride and not one photo was posted sideways, even more impressive BS!

thanks... I think

Looks like everyone had an awesome trip. My boss assured me that he had a great time tuna fishing for that week... I have yet to see any on my BBQ, really wished I could have gone on this one. Great pics

Guys, great photos, great camp spot, great food and chef, and great trails. No drama, no mechanicals, no major injuries, no fatalities. What more could you ask for? I only got shots from our excursion to the Rincon that josh posted, which turned out looking quite tame by the way. I promise it was extremely difficult. Was the hardest 35 miles (8hrs) I've ever done and we still have a couple miles we didn't finish. I think a rematch is in the works for that one. Jon I'm sure you were annoyed we went without you but we will go back and do it all the way to the end next time and make sure you can join us if you are game. As for the other days, day 1 was a good solid warm up with some tough rocks, roots, and silt and some legit "goat" trails. And day 3 was an awesome few hours of riding with great flowing single track and the wagy ridge trail had some awesome views. Anyways, thanks for the great vacation and good memories guys. See you on the trails.

10042454356_e4d658c4b6_b.jpg

10042511505_ff78b9b7f1_b.jpg

10042500004_b7d0a7c021_b.jpg

I like it, great pics and write-up. I'd love to be able to ride that stuff some day, but I'm with Ken, this and Rincon in particular do not look DR-friendly.

Looks like an EPIC trip. 8 hours to go 35 miles....Eff, that must of been a gnarly trail...

I wish I didn't have to work, it's much less fun than going on epic dual sport trips...:angry2:/>

I like it, great pics and write-up. I'd love to be able to ride that stuff some day, but I'm with Ken, this and Rincon in particular do not look DR-friendly.

A DR650 would be a handful; get a good low pressure knobby on the rear and a real good skid plate and it would probably work out

I would ride an XRL but not a KLR...clearance issues and the really loose silt

I'm pretty sure the DRZ was the heaviest bike there this week

A DR650 would be a handful; get a good low pressure knobby on the rear and a real good skid plate and it would probably work out

I would ride an XRL but not a KLR...clearance issues and the really loose silt

I'm pretty sure the DRZ was the heaviest bike there this week

No doubt about it. Your DRZ was the big pig of the group. It didn't slow you down at all.

I rode my XRL on every trail in Kennedy Meadows trail complex. It can be done. I didn't even have a great set of tires. A half worn 50/50 tire up front and a used 606 out back. The big bikes get great traction with the heavy weight and low power engines. I also sold my Honda 3 weeks after returning from that trip. Wrong tool for the job.

Lol- running up that one hill next to you and Alan...i'm not sure WHAT was slowing me down, but I was pinned through all the gears and I got left for dead

Alan- where's the pics and video?

Thanks again to all...it was a great group effort

Well there was that time, yeah.

ALTA-SIERRA-CA-SHIRLEY-MEADOWS-SKI-AREA-SEQUOIA-IMG_1630.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1252301257389

In Alan's case you are equal in power but 100+ pounds heavier. To me you're ~50 pounds heavier and 20hp down.

Is it time yet for the DRZ crash diet and hi-po mods?

The DRZ is heavy...I won't be doing any mods to lighten it, since it seems to be a bad exchange rate bang:buck

What I MAY consider is a healthy dose of horsepower for it, if or when the top end needs help

FCR and/or 434cc kit

Like you alluded to, though...a bunch of horsepower doesn't help much when it is slippery or loose. I think in some ways, I had the advantage over Kato in the silt

The DRZ is heavy...I won't be doing any mods to lighten it, since it seems to be a bad exchange rate bang:buck

I agree. However, when you were dicking with your headlight I noticed how well engineered (meaning heavy) that entire headlight/instrument cluster is. I'd imagine it'd be possible to replace many stock items on the clamps with parts a mere fraction of the weight. Also that dangling wire from your carb could be removed from the wiring harness. Stuff like that or various brackets and looms wouldn't cost much to replace or would be free, but still accumulate a decent weight savings.

Take a look at what this guy from TT did to his WR.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1046210-my-wr450-25-pound-trim-off/

I dont see you pulling your starter off, but just an idea.

I want to say...you guys SUCK ! :lol::blink:

Awesome riding in that area, I rode there on all those bitchin' singletrack trails from 1995 to 2002 when Damon Powell of Team Dual Dogs used to put on the best dualsport rides up there every June.

Great pix and write-up ! Thanks for sharing.

Finally got around to editing and posting a video from the trip. This is my first try so I hope it works and you are able to enjoy it. A compilation of a couple of clips from the first days ride. It shows a good example of what the ride was like and is a little comical with camera hits from low hanging branches and some trail issues by yours truly.

thanks Alan, this brings back awesome memories! that silt hill at the end though nooooooooo

good video got better at the end LOL. nice one! you were sawing some major logs then Bob roosted you on the silt of death hill.

If you weren't there, it's hard to see how steep that stuff is...GoPros flatten out the terrain

I'm glad Kato didn't have a camera, cuz I flat out DUSTED him on day 2 (not on purpose)

It sure showed the silt though...nice vid Alan

Bought this at the local liquor store last night. Thinking of going back to KM in a month or two if anyone is interested.

18567216518_b72c21df34_b.jpg

I'm kinda over IPAs but that's a pretty good one. I'm sorry, that IPA is Just Outstanding. :heh:

there was talk of a trip back to Greenhorn Park in July. When one of the gents returns from MT I'll solidify those plans.