paulmbowers

San Ysidro to Jacumba/McCain and on

Started in San Ysidro- I usually hit the dirt via the railyard behind the Jack-in-the-Box, but was stopped by a rent-a-cop. Had to ride a little way up Beyer Blvd to find a dirt road access. Came over the mesa, then on the 905 briefly to Heritage road. Hung a right into the trails up there, rode over to the power plant, up and over, including Monument 250. On my way down Tecate Peak towards 94, I stopped on the side of the trail/road to allow a ascending BP truck go about his business. He stopped, and I was told by a BP:

BP: You're not supposed to be riding here.

PMB: Okay!

BP: There's a gate down there, and you can't get out.

BP: Unless you know a way around it or another way out, you won't get out.

BP: If the BLM catches you riding here, they'll give you a big fine.

PMB: Okay! You stay safe, now. Bye!

And that was it.

Got to the bottom, went around the gate (possibly the 50th time) and took 94 to Tecate, picked up the border road a l l t h e w a y to Jacumba. Cut north, connected with Jewel Valley road into Boulevard, then hopped over to McCain. Had about 20 mins before the guys arrived, did a little riding around, yes up the slab. I LOVE the 990, but not exactly the right tool for the McCain job. But let the record reflect I DID ride singletrack.

Left McCain, fueled up at Golden Acorn, hopped the highway to Cameron Corners, up to Cibbets flat- Fred Canyon/Thing Valley. Then up Sunrise to Deer Park, which is beautiful right now- don't miss it, lots of green. Got a flat- my first on this bike, rear, of course. Big nail. I don't understand the geometric forces that can drive a 2" bent/twisted nail through a knobby tire, through a tube, all the way till flush with the outside surface of the tire. I can hardly drive a straight nail with a hammer. How does that possibly happen?

Anyway, had a nice venue for a tube change, very happy I bought one of those tiny Slime compressors and stripped it down to the essentials and stuffed it under my seat.

Stopped for a burger at Pine Valley, home for a beer before 3.

Here's some pictures. LOVE the sunrise over the power plant.

8754577397_b11cc07a5a_b.jpg

8754576871_0dbaf85bfb_b.jpg

8755759172_60848740c0_z.jpg

8755699878_fc5019dc50_z.jpg

8754576595_78eea8b768_b.jpg

I had the honor of following the beast on some single track, some sand and some rocks.

I will say, paul did very well, but talk about a bull in a china shop. I was laughing out loud the whole time...stinkbugging over jump, absolutely blowing up berms; it was hilarious...but, he did ride some serious singletrack

I had the honor of following the beast on some single track, some sand and some rocks.

I will say, paul did very well, but talk about a bull in a china shop. I was laughing out loud the whole time...stinkbugging over jump, absolutely blowing up berms; it was hilarious...but, he did ride some serious singletrack

Thanks.

I guess?

I'll tell you...my V strom had the same manners or worse...I had a jump alongside my driveway I used to hit on the way home. No matter how hard I was on the gas, and how far back I was leaning, the back kicked up like a bull.

You absolutely destroyed that berm too...nothing was left for me

Berm was in the wrong place at te wrong time.

It had it coming.

I can see the bike sits higher now (especially on the pic with the fence winding up the hill in the background), looking good. apparently it allowed for some extra big bike craziness in single tracks

Very nice.

I wish there was one version of why we "can't" ride the border road instead of a new one each time. Seems like "okay!" was the right answer.

Your first and second pic with the 990 are awesome! Looks like a fun filed day.

Thought that was you I waved at just off of Deer Park. Yeah that area is very pretty right now - lots of wildflowers blooming. Saw your tracks all the way back to Cibbets Flat.

I think I saw U on Deer Park. I was on My Kawi Versys and a buddy behind me on a XR650l. Looks like a nice days riding

Regards

I met BP near Jewel Valley road Monday AM, and he said we could ride border fence road all the way west to Chula Vista and beyond. Said there were some areas where you had to detour, and know where you were going, but did not imply at all that it was not allowed. We paid for border fence and road, why not use it?