Goofy Footer

Tecate --> Coyote Cals --> Mikes :: April 12-14

Johnny and Slagnado, thank you for the lists. My GPS work looks to be done - final bike prep tomorrow then getting to bed.

Gene - I should post a "10 DualSporting Essentials" thread to see what comes up!

To those on the ride, I'll be sending out an email Thursday.

post-14322-070840200 1365670463_thumb.pn

Hey Goofy don't get to worried guys, that ride Baja know they are responsible for themselves and the locals are always cool depending on your attitude, I have ridden unsupported in Mex. many times. Think wild west and you will be OK, your bike will burn Mex. fuel(mas fina) just fine , any oil you buy is KTM approved, (there a story behind that one),Take some wire, duct tape and some paper towels, cash too. Know the exchange rate and don't count pennies but don't throw cash around either, ( unless the cops are coming and throwing money is the way out-another story),Relax have fun.

Wish I could be there,

Unc C.

Carry a spot if you don't have one already go buy it today and turn on the service. It's the starting point of any emergency you might encounter down there or here in the USA as a matter of fact anywhere in the world.

It works as efficiently as you make it, choose your emergency contacts make sure they are people that can drop anything and everything the moment the get called.

More importantly don't ride like you are racing the baja 1000 because you aren't and enjoy the scenery and you will be fine. Can accident happen yes but the are less deadly when you are going slow.

Forgot to add if you are on a budget and can't afford one borrow mine as I rode last weekend and I am not going anywhere this weekend. Pm me your contact and I will call you to organise.

I agree with Uncle Champ, leave the worry behind. My theory is Fear breeds Fear, once you have decided to go there is not point in being worried. Prepared is good.

My best Baja experience was a solo trip and I broke down leaving Valle T, ended up getting a ride back to Ensenada with a race team, spent an extra night with them, got a ride home in time for work on Monday, had the best time and made new friends. Two weeks later out in Borrego about to head off solo to the Pacific side, I run into one of the racers that helped me. I ended up camping with them and their families for 5 days, drove the chase truck for the 500, had a blast.....

Turns out my bike breaking down was my stupid mistake, looking back I would not have traded that experience. I have made many new friends in my Baja travels.

Your map looks pretty good! There's a couple small areas to "cut corners" but overall, you've got a great run ahead of you. Glad to see you taking some of the "easier" trails to get you to each destination, as that will help avoid get-offs. BUT, please watch for oncoming vehicles. It's known, that the locals will have a couple cold-ones and end up using the smoother roads for rally practice. You can't hear them coming, and they don't hear you... so, ride as-if there's a vehicle/horse/cow/deer around every blind corner (please)!

... and like everyone, I want you to have a great time... and ride worry-free.

Being prepared, will help that. Breakdowns as I said, are MUCH different then injuries... so, limit the injury to none, and you'll have a good time no matter what. On off weekends (non race weekends), some of the towns and roads are like ghost towns... so, don't rely on a gringo to drive by. Stop a local, and ask for help if you need it. They all seem to be very accomodating.

Here's an example;

I break down (crank shaft locked up) on a desolate road between Sawmill and VDT (not too far from Independencia, about 20miles). We were all sitting in the road, and out of nowhere a local truck comes barreling around the corner. It swerves off the road, missing all of us and our bikes and runs into a tall bush. Stopping there. Thankfully, nobody was ran over (some of us were laying in the dirt, or in the road - not too smart, but who'd a thunk in the middle of nowhere we were at risk of being run over!?). There were 4 or 5 guys out collecting firewood. I talked to them about my predicament, and in no time we had my bike loaded up into the truck. My bike even went through the wood bed of the pickup, but they didn't care... we drove off. I wondered why on the downhills of the road, they'd turn the truck off... come to find out, when I asked... the driver in perfect English said; "NO BRAKES!" LOL... no wonder they drove into the big bush to avoid running us over. Too funny.... I met our chase truck in Independencia, where we loaded my bike and continued onto Mikes. Here's the fun (click on any picture to make it larger);

th_IMGP8154_zps45a93b28.jpg th_IMGP8160_zps186cf747.jpg th_IMGP8164_zps1c6b8f5b.jpg

I have much longer and very extended lists, for the coast and towards LaPaz... but, too long to paste here.[/size]

Any chance you could send those to me, this is great info to have! wintyfresh@gmail.com Thanks!

I agree with Uncle Champ, leave the worry behind. My theory is Fear breeds Fear, once you have decided to go there is not point in being worried. Prepared is good.

My best Baja experience was a solo trip and I broke down leaving Valle T, ended up getting a ride back to Ensenada with a race team, spent an extra night with them, got a ride home in time for work on Monday, had the best time and made new friends. Two weeks later out in Borrego about to head off solo to the Pacific side, I run into one of the racers that helped me. I ended up camping with them and their families for 5 days, drove the chase truck for the 500, had a blast.....

Turns out my bike breaking down was my stupid mistake, looking back I would not have traded that experience. I have made many new friends in my Baja travels.

:thumbsup_anim:

Hey I realized I missed a few posts. If it wasn't mentioned, Mike likes it if you make reservations. It helps him plan. I was there once and watched him turn away lots of guys because he had a big party that rented the place. I got lucky, hegave me his brother's room. # 011 52 (664) 681 5514

Hey I realized I missed a few posts. If it wasn't mentioned, Mike likes it if you make reservations. It helps him plan. I was there once and watched him turn away lots of guys because he had a big party that rented the place. I got lucky, hegave me his brother's room. # 011 52 (664) 681 5514

Thanks for the note. Does he email or do we have to call? Also, I'm assuming he speaks english, but this may be incorrect.

Thanks for the note. Does he email or do we have to call? Also, I'm assuming he speaks english, but this may be incorrect.

Be sure to order appetizers when you arrive :heh:

Be sure to order appetizers when you arrive heh.gif

Is that a fat joke? because i'm very sensitive about my weight. :unsure:/>

Call him, he speaks English. He's not a man of many words until you get to know him. I try to call by Thrusday to catch him before he goes or his daughter answers and gives him the message.

Reservations for Mike's are made, just made the call. $70 a night.

Correction: Just got a hold of Coyote Cals too and told Lulu we are coming. She'll be making dinner too.

Hey Bruce, just saw this. Plan on meeting in Tecate 7:30-7:45 and be ready to cross at 8:15.

I'll PM you my cell #

I just got some clarification on the 4×4 trip I'm going on. We're going to stay at Mike's on Saturday night, but we might get there late and if we do, we'll just camp in front of Mike's. The guys planning the trip aren't sure what condition the trail is in so that's why they don't know how long it'll take.

It's a Land Rover club out of Tijuana and I'm going as a guest with one of the members. I think we'll probably get to Mike's early and they're just warning me that I need to take a sleeping bag in case it takes longer than expected.

See you guys Saturday afternoon or maybe Sunday morning depending on what time I get there.

Bike prepped, tracks loaded onto GPS - I'm ready to go. See you guys in the AM.

Gene, I'll be looking for you. I'll be on a white DRZ with a racelight headlight and we'll have a KTM 640 Adventure with us so come say hi if we don't find you first!

I just got some clarification on the 4×4 trip I'm going on. We're going to stay at Mike's on Saturday night, but we might get there late and if we do, we'll just camp in front of Mike's. The guys planning the trip aren't sure what condition the trail is in so that's why they don't know how long it'll take.

It's a Land Rover club out of Tijuana and I'm going as a guest with one of the members. I think we'll probably get to Mike's early and they're just warning me that I need to take a sleeping bag in case it takes longer than expected.

See you guys Saturday afternoon or maybe Sunday morning depending on what time I get there.

Have fun..

Will you have your spot on?

Have fun..

Will you have your spot on?

He better....

Bike prepped, tracks loaded onto GPS - I'm ready to go. See you guys in the AM.

Gene, I'll be looking for you. I'll be on a white DRZ with a racelight headlight and we'll have a KTM 640 Adventure with us so come say hi if we don't find you first!

You're probably in Tecate right now, but maybe you'll check your phone before you leave or check the internet in Eréndira near Coyote Cal's.

The bike parking is inside by the pool so it should be no problem finding your bikes out of the twenty or so bikes that'll be parked there. I'll ask everyone I see whether they're with the plated bikes that came with the white DRZ. There should probably should only be one one white DRZ with a race headlight.

What an Awesome ride! 450 miles!

We made it back to Tecate safe and sound - zero mechanical problems, no flats, no Montezuma's revenge and we only got lost for a few minutes (well maybe more than a few minutes - new locked gates blocking the trail!)

In the coming days I'll post a separate Ride Report or just include the RR in this thread but here is a teaser before I go to bed

post-14322-043468200 1366000772_thumb.jp