Goofy Footer

Tecate --> Coyote Cals --> Mikes :: April 12-14

It's a little short notice but I'm putting together a small ride from Tecate to Coyote Cals to Mike's this Friday, Sat and Sunday. It's the beginning of a series of farewell rides for a riding buddy who will soon be leaving the Golden State. I'm looking to keep the group small and friendly. We'll be cruising not racing, taking in the sights and stopping to smell the flowers etc.

I plan on staying the night at Coyote Cals on Friday, then head up the hill to Mike's on Saturday. Depending on what time we arrive at Mike's, we could do some exploring.

Thanks to the awesome help and tips I've received from some great SDAR peeps (Thank You Guys :good:/>/>/>), I am pretty confident I can find my way around.

Warning: I've never been to Coyote Cals nor Mike's so it may or may not get "adventurous". I will be trusting my GPS and trusting my maps. If you want to join the ride, please note that you're joining a ride with somebody who has never been. There will be no chase truck, nor services. I do not have radio so we'll be taking out time, relying on each other and staying together. Heck, I don't even speak Spanish - I just smile and wave!

If you want to ride with us or are headed to Mike's for Saturday night, post up and we'll meet up. Passport, paper maps, extra cash, tools, tubes, maintained/prepared bikes, 80+ mile fuel range and a good attitude required!

=====

I'm assuming I do Not NEED reservations for Coyote Cals nor Mike's? Am I correct or should I call ahead of time to reserve a spot?

Also, I know of a few "cut across" trails that lead from the Pacific Coast towards either Valle T or Melling Ranch or Buenavista/El Coyote before making it to Mike's. What is your preferred or recommended way?

602703_10151475936574395_1032290409_n.jpg

50385510.jpg

mikes-sky-ranch.jpg

IMG_5318.jpg

... <30 n' Dirty Crew

I'm looking to keep the group small and friendly.

Well, I guess I'm out....mellow.gif

GoofyFooter, I would be interested in this. I won't commit 100% yet, but I'm at a solid 75%. I take it this is a no camping gear super-lite cash, tools, and beer money run? Anyone know the current prices for Coyote Cals and Mike's?

I'm looking to keep the group small and friendly.

Well, I guess I'm out....mellow.gif

Because your not small or not friendly?

Heck, I don't even speak Spanish

I could help a little bit with that, helped us once with Bruce on our way back up looking for the way back to El Condor.

And I'm pretty sure I can remember how to get to Mike's :)

Sounds like a fun trip. Mike's is $70/night (went up $10) and that includes a good dinner and b-fast the next morning. the bunk bed option @ Coyote Cal's seems cheaper: http://www.coyotecals.com/rates.html

Last year Coyote Cals was $18 for a bunk which includes pancake breakfast. Bucket of beers after 3 pm? about $2.50 per. Good drink selection for the foo foo types. If you want dinner you may need to call ahead. Sometimes they are cooking and sometimes no bueno. Dinners run about $15.

Mike's was $60 and includes dinner and breakfast. Both very good. Drinks about the same at about $3 per.

Doesn't hurt to call ahead to see if space available. Coyote Cals takes charge cards, not sure about Mike's.

Heck, I don't even speak Spanish

I could help a little bit with that, helped us once with Bruce on our way back up looking for the way back to El Condor.

And I'm pretty sure I can remember how to get to Mike's :)/>

Sounds like a fun trip. Mike's is $70/night (went up $10) and that includes a good dinner and b-fast the next morning. the bunk bed option @ Coyote Cal's seems cheaper: http://www.coyotecals.com/rates.html

Kato, you should come!

Hey what was the dinner? Is there food for people who don't eat steak/beef?

Kato, you should come!

Hey what was the dinner? Is there food for people who don't eat steak/beef?

not sure if i can make it, that's a short notice indeed. I'll check asap.

that menu (in fact there is no actual menu) question came up when I was there actually, I had a few beers (thanks Bruce) but from what I remember nobody there could recall anything else for dinner than the infamous Mike's steak!! and some of the folks there that night have been riding Baja for many years (in some cases decades).

It did come with veggies on the side and really good re-fried beans of course, tortillas, so I guess you could go with a full plate (or two) of veggies instead?

also, we didn't have reservations and it wasn't a problem at all. Some of the guys there were telling stories of Mike accommodating them in the lobby one day when the place was full.. in baja things just work out, you already know.

We'll be cruising not racing, taking in the sights and stopping to smell the flowers etc.

that is how you enjoy Baja and what it has to offer. you have the perfect attitude to make it a memorable weekend.

I'm in.

My only recommendation is to email Coyote Cals and let him know that we would like dinner on Friday night. We won't need reservations to stay, but they do need to get food if they are feeding us. His wife's food is pretty good, and it's a fair ways back into town if we have to go for dinner. Especially after a few post ride cerveza's.

I think dinner at Cals is something like $5 or so. It wasn't much, and it beat riding back into town.

I'm in.

My only recommendation is to email Coyote Cals and let him know that we would like dinner on Friday night. We won't need reservations to stay, but they do need to get food if they are feeding us. His wife's food is pretty good, and it's a fair ways back into town if we have to go for dinner. Especially after a few post ride cerveza's.

I think dinner at Cals is something like $5 or so. It wasn't much, and it beat riding back into town.

Excellent. I'm glad you're coming along. It'll be fun.

Thanks for the info. I'll email them once we lock down a headcount.

Bummer i cant get my saturday off, have a good trip guys!! Salud!

I'm going to Mike's this weekend with some 4×4 guys so maybe I'll see you there. They're talking about doing some super-difficult 4×4 trail and we may not get there until late or may even camp out on the trail so, then again, maybe I won't see you there. If you see some Land Rovers, come and ask for Gene and say hello. There's a picture of me in the "Looking for a Hot Spring" thread.

Have a good time!

Just getting back from Baja... and the wind and rain, and sun.... good times.

(it was 85 in San Felipe.... and about 30 at Ramonas, with rain and ice coming down - add the high winds, made it an adventure)

I'd love to go... but, I'm a "chase truck" type.

Too scared of the bad mojo things, from past experiences... which I hope you never have to endure.

Forecast calls for some pretty good weather!

Too scared of the bad mojo things, from past experiences... which I hope you never have to endure.

I wish I hadn't read that. Dare I ask? No. No I don't want to know. I'll just hope and pray nothing unpleasant happens.

I wish I hadn't read that. Dare I ask? No. No I don't want to know. I'll just hope and pray nothing unpleasant happens.

Ya, sorry.... shouldn't be posting things like that to scare ya (which I wasn't)... BUT, you do have to be prepared for the "what ifs".

I could sit here and give you story after story of why I learned a chase-truck is nice to have, or why they should be along for reasons of safety. I honestly rode Baja without one for years. Packed all my necessities (or so I thought) on my back or bike. I never knew... what I didn't know. Somewhat blind luck - and not knowing what could happen. However, once my luck started to run out... I learned the hard way (once being towed bike to bike 160 miles) that not only is a chase truck a great convenience... but they can be a life-saving vehicle as well (had to duct-tape a foot to a peg when a rider broke his femur - so he could ride out the 30-40miles to the highway). ....just the tip of the ice-berg there. I could go on and on.

My best advice = plan for the unexpected. To a degree you think you've "overplanned" for things like safety. Then plan some more. wink.gif

Let me ask, if you don't speak spanish.... do you know how to ask where the hospital or clinic is? Do you have a list of the local clinics you'll encounter along your route? If not... that's the FIRST thing in my "ride plan" I'd have ready. And, make a copy for the other riders with you... in case your knocked out. ....that's just the start of my Baja ride planning.

Ya, sorry.... shouldn't be posting things like that to scare ya (which I wasn't)... BUT, you do have to be prepared for the "what ifs".

I could sit here and give you story after story of why I learned a chase-truck is nice to have, or why they should be along for reasons of safety. I honestly rode Baja without one for years. Packed all my necessities (or so I thought) on my back or bike. I never knew... what I didn't know. Somewhat blind luck - and not knowing what could happen. However, once my luck started to run out... I learned the hard way (once being towed bike to bike 160 miles) that not only is a chase truck a great convenience... but they can be a life-saving vehicle as well (had to duct-tape a foot to a peg when a rider broke his femur - so he could ride out the 30-40miles to the highway). ....just the tip of the ice-berg there. I could go on and on.

My best advice = plan for the unexpected. To a degree you think you've "overplanned" for things like safety. Then plan some more. wink.gif

Let me ask, if you don't speak spanish.... do you know how to ask where the hospital or clinic is? Do you have a list of the local clinics you'll encounter along your route? If not... that's the FIRST thing in my "ride plan" I'd have ready. And, make a copy for the other riders with you... in case your knocked out. ....that's just the start of my Baja ride planning.

Johnny you bring up some good points and I appreciate your advice.

Plan for the unexpected:

I hadn't thought of carrying a tow strap but I think it's a good idea. We'll have 5 guys on the trip, all with reliable bikes (DRZ, XRL, LC4, DR etc) but..... S**t happens and a tow rope is a good idea.

I hadn't through of the hospital/clinic situation. While I know the US hospitals, I couldn't tell you where they are in Baja. I'd guess Tecate has a clinic, Ojos might have a clinic and Ensenada and TJ have large hospitals? Something for me to research!

I don't think I've rode with a first aid kit since my first few trips. That will change for this trip.

Photocopies of passports in case I lose mine.

List of emergency contacts, multiple copies. Inform the contacts ahead of time where I am going and when I shall return.

Pepto Bismol and Tums! - anti-diarrhea pills.

Toilet paper.

We'll have all the tools I have competence to be able to use trailside.

Extra tubes - run higher pressure to repel flats.

Paper maps.

Multiple GPS all preloaded with tracks - hardwired and extra batteries

SPOT tracking device - extra batteries

Carrying lots of extra water - it will be hot

Only drink bottle water - I'm technically a double Aztec (SDSU) but I don't want Montezuma's revenge

Extra cash - cash is King.

I am definitely no baja expert and have very minimal experience riding down south but thankfully I've never had a bad incident riding on this side of the border. I believe in stopping at all intersections and waiting for the sweep rider. I will keep to the right and will be attentive on all blind turns. We'll be riding on main roads at a cautious and relaxed pace (headlights all turned on to help us be visible through the dust). I have verified my tracks with people who have taken them before. I'm an Eagle Scout (be prepared!) and at one time passed the national registry for EMT (although I could really use a refresher course).

I do like emphais on preparedness and "what ifs" and I'm glad you brought it up in the thread. To be honest I've been more focused on tracks and logistics and hadn't spent much time thinking about back up plans. One piece of advice an SDAR guy just gave me that made me chuckle but is pretty true... "Don't F***ing Crash in Mexico!". Another was that your biggest risk is other people - running into traffic, getting pushed off the road etc.

So... anybody have a tow strap set-up I could borrow? Bowers? Strega? Others?

Sounds good... glad you're working on it.

...just think, down in Baja... there's no 911. And it's not easy to find help if you don't speak the language or understand it. And even though riding is a skill set... so is planning. Another skill set that is pertinent to riding down South. Not sure if it's my age, but I'm so safety conscious these days... I had to get on a rider for no goggles in single track, this past weekend. It only takes one branch... one slip up... or, even another vehicle, cow, deer...etc that can ruin your day. It doesn't have to be your fault to cause major mayhem to one or even the entire group.

Another thing I usually find very useful is to understand the person your riding with, their overall demeanor or even something as simple as - if they are capable of dialing a phone when in Baja. Do they know it's 001(XXX)XXX-XXXX? Maybe go over emergency contact info with them, copy it for them... put it in their hands, and go over it with a plan for each other. Ever see a grown man panic when his ride partner is bleeding out and unconscious? It's such a rare thing... but, it only takes once for you to realize what SHOULD have happened. Getting caught being unprepared covers more then just a spare tube, chain breaker, master link, wet wipes, etc. You must also be mentally prepared, and prepared for the worse case scenario.

.... again, not trying to scare ya... just put into perspective, what your doing when you go on trails that are less traveled and are far from services. You need to be aware.

Want me to send you over a hospital/clinics list for the area your riding? ... and my "ride checklist"? It'll help ya out I think.

I also (think I) have a spare CycoActive Towdown kit - Tie downs or a two strap, in a small pouch. Want me to look for it??

I used to know a guy who rode down South ALL THE TIME, by himself. I was always scared for him. He said he always had a plan... but, here I thought... "what if you got knocked out" in a crash, or whatever? Then what? Riding solo is scary enough... but solo in Baja, just ups the percentage for disaster. I haven't seen of him for a long time... wonder what happened to him (I think his name was Juan, and he rode an XR400 I think - a white looking guy, with brown/black curly hair. Always had yellow sunglasses on, and a vest).

Take two tie downs. You can tie them together and use them as a tow rope.

I carry three ropes and had to use them once, it was the difference of getting off the trail. Unfortunately, my neck/back were not that lucky.

I have regular tow straps you can borrow and should have them here tomorrow night if you want to come get them and your welcome to my SPOT if you promise to return it Monday/Tuesday. I leave Friday for an 8 day trip to Mulege and I want to take it. I travel with three tie downs I got from a moto shop, they are the ones they use for the crates. They are just easier to pack. I will look for a picture to share.

I wish I could meet you up at Mike's this weekend to do a good test on my bike, it just not going to happen with my trip to Mulege. I may see you out there on Sunday. Have fun and do me a big favor tell Mike I said "hello and I will be there mid-May".

I carry a printed out copy of my emergency contact list, duct tape my blood type and main emergency number on my helmet and created a FB emergency group. That way I could send a message to one person to post to the group in case I made changes in the plan. Hope it helps.

I like riding Baja by myself, there I said it out loud..don't stone me.

Johnny Airtime, I would like your clinic list of you want to share.

I started one:

TECATE:

Centro Médico de Especialidades

Address:Obregón No. 65, Tecate, BAJA CALIFORNIA NORTE, 21400MexicoTelephone: (665) 4-1309

ENSENADA

Hospital Velmar está localizado en el centro moderno de Ensenada,

Arenas #151 Fracc. Nueva Ensenada | Ensenada, B.C. C.P. 22860 | Teléfono: 646 173 4500 Con 8 Líneas

Global Life Flighthttp://www.globallifeflight.comEmergency Air Ambulance Service, with a base in Tijuana, servicing Baja and the rest of Mexico.

Notes:My spot has insurance for a helicopter ride but I may purchase this, too. Keep you posted

http://www.binationa....org/index.html

FYI.... Binational is near worthless for emergency situations. I carried one for 4 years, and in 2008... my buddy Steve Martz was shot (on a pre-run ride for the B1000), one of the riders with him tried to call Binational.... during the middle to later part of the day, and they never answered. In fact, people in USA took over as a helicopter was just about to load up out of Montgomery Field... and once they got local contact (in Baja), the US people stood down. Binational never answered within those crucial hours.

Here's my list for the local hot spots;

Phone Number Description

Ensenada Local Police (011-52-646) 176-4343 Ensenada 646 area code

Ensenada State Police (011-52-646) 152-2500* Ensenada 646 area code

Ensenada Red Cross 1 (011-52-646) 174-5335 Ensenada 646 area code

Ensenada Red Cross 2 (011-52-646) 174-4585 Ensenada 646 area code

Ensenada Ambulance (011-52-646) 178-1400 Ensenada 646 area code

Ensenada Highway Police 1 (011-52-646) 176-1311 Ensenada 646 area code

Ensenada Highway Police 2 (011-52-646)176-3640 Ensenada 646 area code

Ensenada Fire Dept. (011-52-646)178-2222 Ensenada 646 area code

Sec of Tourism Office (011-52-646) 172-3022 Ensenada 646 area code

Tourism Trust (011-52-646) 178-8578 Ensenada 646 area code

San Felipe Police (011-52-686) 577-1134 SanFelipe 686 area code

San Felipe Fire Dept. 1 (011-52-686) 577-1182 SanFelipe 686 area code

San Felipe Fire Dept. 2 (011-52-686) 577-1455 SanFelipe 686 area code

San Felipe Ambulance (011-52-686) 577-1182 SanFelipe 686 area code

San Felipe Red Cross (011-52-686) 577-1544 SanFelipe 686 area code

San Felipe Hospital 1 (011-52-686) 577-0117 SanFelipe 686 area code

San Felipe Hospital 2 (011-52-686) 577-2849 SanFelipe 686 area code

Green Angels (011-52664) 624-3479 Tijuana 664 area code

Valle Trinidad Fire Dept. (011-52-646)153-5019 Valle T 646 area code

Valle Trinidad Ambulance (011-52-646)153-5019 Valle T 646 area code

Valle Trinidad Medical (011-52-646) 153-5998 Valle T 646 area code

Valle Trinidad Police (011-52-646)153-5019 Valle T 646 area code

Del Carmen Hospital (011-52-664) 681-7279 Tijuana 664 area code

U.S.A. Consulate in Tijuana (011-52-664) 622-7400 Tijuana 664 area code

U.S.A. Consulate 24 hr. line (619) 692-2154 US

Binational Emergency (US) (619) 425-5080 Members Only

I have much longer and very extended lists, for the coast and towards LaPaz... but, too long to paste here.