And wait till you hear the rest beleive it or not it gets even better!

Chef Axel pointing to a couple of cows freeranging in Lark, BikeSlut 'waving' to me, and tvscum on his newly purchased white xr400:

PHOTO_20130310_083241_zps77205315.jpg

I'll have to do this another day- I got lots of pictures but downloading is not cooperating

Thank you all for mocking me, though...I would do the same for you

post-122-048463900 1362978154_thumb.jpg

post-122-097153400 1362978198_thumb.jpg

Thanks to Axel for the ride out in his van. Thanks to Bob for showing me the Lark trails and the advice on how not to break my leg. And thanks to Kato and Scott for taking me to the Valley of the Moon:

http://www.sandiegotrailtramps.com/pages/Maps/2002/maps3_17_02.html

We also had a really nice jaunt along the border fence to Tecate.

Not to mention Brody's.

http://www.brodysburgersandbeer.com/

Looking forward to some more photos, since I didn't take any myself!

"Ladies and gentlemen, the story you are about to see is true. The names have been changed to protect the innocent."

I just have a few pics, good times as usual yesterday thanks Bob! looking forward to see the rest of the pictures.

Climbing in Lark. Slaugo and right behind him is Axel:

PHOTO_20130310_100759_zps85c2895b.jpg

Lunch break by Valley of the Moon in Jacumba: tvscum (David) and slaugo (Scott) sitting on a high rock:

PHOTO_20130310_125411_zpsb447728d.jpg

that is by the rock they're sitting on on the previous pic, and the view they're facing.. (note that slaugo's panoramas will put mine to shame)

To the right is valley of the moon, they are trails down but every access there seemed to be blocked intentionally with boulders, does anyone know if it's accessible?

valleyofthemoon_zps86f7d144.jpg

Yea there is two ways into the valley of the moon, one isn't to bad the other is BP access only (wilderness only), I would not suggest getting caught in there. They declared it wilderness so the BP would not have to patrol it from the top side ( thats what a BP told me ). I think I will buy a drab green bike and green riding clothes then I could go anywhere.

Fair enough I might just park the bike and hike in there next time, it's worth it. gotta find that smugglers cave too!

Fair enough I might just park the bike and hike in there next time, it's worth it. gotta find that smugglers cave too!

when you go up the hill from the kiosk, when you get to the top and you hit the first fork in the road, if you look to your left, there is a sign saying wilderness or whatever on it. That goes back half a mile or so and there is the smugglers cave. Not supposed to ride a bike there but it would be possible.

ps, never seen that many people at Lark before, except maybe at the last noob ride.

never seen that many people at Lark before, except maybe at the last noob ride.

I remember back around 2004-2005, there used to be a whole lot of people out there on the weekends. Then they seemed to quit going there so much after 2007. Not sure why the resurgence of popularity....maybe just a natural cycle of events.

ps, never seen that many people at Lark before, except maybe at the last noob ride.

whew glad we on Sat!! there really was nobody (by numbers) there.

Saw a few large groups of riders on the main trails and saw dave jones and mimi on the ST. Then after finishing riding was talking to dave and there were swarms of people riding around on quads and three wheelers literally riding in circles around us while we were trying to have a conversation. Strange that people drive all the way out there just to ride around in circles around their vehicles :unsure:

Saw a few large groups of riders on the main trails and saw dave jones and mimi on the ST. Then after finishing riding was talking to dave and there were swarms of people riding around on quads and three wheelers literally riding in circles around us while we were trying to have a conversation. Strange that people drive all the way out there just to ride around in circles around their vehicles :unsure:/>/>

^^^^Try it next time and I swear you'll feel the euphoria set in at about circle 101. :thumbsup_anim:/>

So glad I rode there on Sat. with almost unnoticeable numbers of bikes. I think there were 8 total bikes on Saturday and the only time we crossed paths was in the staging area.

Thank you all for mocking me, though...I would do the same for you

I think all of us should ALWAYS rib you for you ALWAYS posting sideways pictures. :torch:

Saw a few large groups of riders on the main trails and saw dave jones and mimi on the ST. Then after finishing riding was talking to dave and there were swarms of people riding around on quads and three wheelers literally riding in circles around us while we were trying to have a conversation. Strange that people drive all the way out there just to ride around in circles around their vehicles :unsure:/>

I for one am glad that "they" stay right there in the parking lot, as annoying as it may be to us.

While we enjoy the other spots with minimal contact with anyone.

I for one am glad that "they" stay right there in the parking lot, as annoying as it may be to us.

While we enjoy the other spots with minimal contact with anyone.

We came across this one group of riders a few times during our ride. Once, it was pretty far out there on a small out of the way trail.

I don't think we ventured into the wilderness area, But we definitely passed Smuggler's Cave. Missed it completely on the way up to Elliot Mine:

http://sandiegotrailtramps.com/pages/Maps/2012/ValleyOfTheMoonSatPhotos.html

I don't think we ventured into the wilderness area, But we definitely passed Smuggler's Cave. Missed it completely on the way up to Elliot Mine:

http://sandiegotrailtramps.com/pages/Maps/2012/ValleyOfTheMoonSatPhotos.html

yea we passed it twice. it'll be something for sunday's ride with BS probably.

the baja deal looks appealing too though.

kato heading UP the slab

MountainEmpire-3_zpsa8d6df54.jpg

and back down

MountainEmpire-20130310-01368_zpsea8db497.jpg

slaugo heading up... Scott rode TO Lark from La Mesa, rode Lark for a few hours, then headed over to Jacumba, then back home, on a DRZSM... stud

MountainEmpire-20130310-01362_zps9cba62a4.jpg

also studly- Kato wrestling his KLR in the Lark singletrack

MountainEmpire-20130310-01359_zps8f5f6efd.jpg

David Scum heading up the South peak

MountainEmpire-20130310-01357_zps1efed95b.jpg

Kato, picking a (bad) line down from the back side of the slab

MountainEmpire-20130310-01354_zpse9036ad6.jpg

hodnett out there with his posse

MountainEmpire2_zps4f8291ef.jpg

Kato

MountainEmpire-20130310-01351_zps53b62fa1.jpg

Axel showing his lack of leg

MountainEmpir1_zpsae1a4076.jpg

David is a bit longer of limb

MountainEmpire-20130310-01348_zpsad2a9b7d.jpg

the mighty KLR during a brief lull

MountainEmpire-20130310-01347_zpsb3c42576.jpg

Kato upright

MountainEmpire-20130310-01346_zps86f1b203.jpg

David on the singletrack

MountainEmpire-20130310-01345_zpsb75372e4.jpg

Awesome ride that day, I woke up at 0 Dark thirty and headed over to Otay Mt. Nice speed run up and over and down and out Marron Valley rd over to Potero and through the lake to corral canyon and up Kernan cycle trl through buckman and out the cul de sac to fuel in Pine Valley and to buckman to hook up on the 94 to Campo to Boulevard to hit Lark. Meet a SDAR group that said Kato and the group would be coming around soon. Stripped off a layer of jackets and put my tail bag in the back of a truck and meet the group and we putted around some trails for a little bit then Axle the guy on the KTM (sorry) forgot your name) and Bob loaded up their bikes and drove home. Kato, David and I went over to Jucumba and fueled up to find Smuglers Cave and explore Jucumba. Great time exploring that mine. Guess its called Elliot. Had a brief exploration for Smuglers and the headed back towards Campo. Refueled and hit the border fence to Tacate stopping at the trestle for a bit. Then down the 94 slowly back to Brody's for a refreshment then on home to La Mesa. I did try to get Kato to head out to OcWells but I guess we'll save that for another day. Kato has some great knowledge of the areas and its always a pleasure riding with him. Nice riding and meeting you David and Axle, Bob and that KTM dude.

Fyi: Smuglers cave area is well marked for where u should be and shouldn't be.