wildwood

1st Time Desert Dash Checklist

I was wondering if anyone recommends any must have items to run the dash. I just realized while filling out the DD form that I haven't registered for AMA yet. Can I sign up for AMA at the Dash Registration?

This will be the longest continuous ride I've done on a bike. Any words of wisdom will be most welcome.

Also wondering if their will be a 'Dual Sport Maps' route available for the Dash.

-Thanks,

BobĀ³

Get the bike set up and running right before you show up to camp.

Carry spare tubes and tire changing essentials.

Plenty of water.

Snacks for the trail.

Extra beer for the guy that sold you your motorcycle.

A roll chart holder.

An information packet with maps and roll charts as well as GPS route downloads will be done Friday night and Saturday and Sunday mornings. I'd recommend using both sources and backing up one to the other. There are usually GPS only routes for both days so GPS is good to have, but if you had to have one or the other I'd recommend roll charts and maps.

Jacuzzis are available at Butterfield. They'll help work out the kinks of the first 180 miles of riding so you can get back on the bike for another 130ish on Sunday.

You can join the AMA on line here;

Join the AMA

Service your bike, Slime the tires, get good gear, dress in layers. find a riding buddy, and what Jon said, Plenty of water. Have fun!!

GPS downloads available at sign up and maps of the routes are provided also. The route is Dual Sport

A warm place to sleep...

Clothing for all types of weather riding from rain to snow and ice or just plain cold.

A good solid motorcycle with good upkeep.

Desert Dash 2011...Pinion Trail, Yes that is SNOW...Best Desert Dash EVER and I have been to them all.

P1000536.jpg

Join the AMA

Service your bike, Slime the tires, get good gear, dress in layers. find a riding buddy, and what Jon said, Plenty of water. Have fun!!

GPS downloads available at sign up and maps of the routes are provided also. The route is Dual Sport

Slime the tires? Please explain.

AMA membership not required, but if you ride, you should be a member of the AMA, just my opinion. As Carguy pointed out, you can join the AMA online if you want.

Join the AMA

Slime the tires? Please explain.

Tire slime,

Tire slime

If you get a small leak, it will seal it while you ride.

A decent camera, and remember to take it out and use it. I am going to miss out on the Dash this year and will have to enjoy all of the photos that everyone takes.

Beverages of your choice for the evenings.

If you don't know how to do a tube change on your bike, now is the time to learn. If you don't learn it, at least ensure you have the tools to remove the wheels and a front tube.

Cash to tip your servers at lunch.

Gas can to top off your bike between Sat and Sun ride.

Al the above plus;

Ride at your own pace.

If you don't arrive with a riding buddy, ask around in the registration area or post here to team up.

Know how to change a tube on the trail. big_boss.gif

Bring a gas jug.....no gas anywhere near Butterfield.

Stand a lot on day one

...in addition to everything already listed...

Basic first aid kit, including a turniquet...I've seen them save lives, including a friend of mine.

matches

emergency blanket

Compass

Energy bars

Cell Phone

GPS

Charlie don't get discouraged, you can get by without some things. The more your are prepared the less likley something will happen. You asked and will get even more feedback. Just have a good plan and a good buddy.

Trailer, $, sense of humor, bike, flashlight, gas, beer for the guy that found your bike for you, tire stuff, breakfast food, towel for after jacuzzi, Ibuprofen, and the willinness to ride like the wind! OK the wind part not so much.

Unc C.

Thanks! That's all good information to know. I appreciate the help.

OK now, let's see if I got this right.

Good Bike Prep

Roll Chart Holder

Slime the tires

A Friggin' HUGE cooler of assorted beers

A good trail kit.

A friend with a trailer and a warm place to sleep

Towel for jacuzzi

Bandanna (Neck Warmer, Tourniquet, Band-Aid, ect.)

Snacks for the trail

Dress in layers, be prepared for cold

Take a vast amount of pictures

Extra tubes with experienced buddy to help out

Lots of cash to Tip The Help

Compass

Cell Phone

Extra Gas

Most important, ride your own pace.

Still a couple of holes to fill but I'm a good ways there. What about the best type of beer to shmooze the Prez?

Still a couple of holes to fill but I'm a good ways there. What about the best type of beer to shmooze the Prez?

post-13540-092251300 1358020055_thumb.jp