Sign in to follow this  
hobiee

Which one should I get

I will be purchasing a new two stroke here pretty quick. I want to know what's out there and what the opinions are on each from first hand knowledge. 250 to 300 range is the size I will be getting. I bleed orange but I want opinions on all that have been ridden. Also 250 over 300 and why or vice versa. I know everybody has their brand but I am completely open minded on this and want the true seat of the pants opinions. This will be an offroad bike as I have the track work covered

you want orange you got it.

http://www.ktm.com/us/enduro/250-xc-w-usa/highlights.html

you cannot go wrong with this bike.

you want sort of orange? (and my first choice for a 250 2T)and 99% Kato compatable. Me loves this machine!!!!

http://www.husaberg.com/bikes/enduro-2-stroke/te-250-eu.html

This is what I would buy right now if I was in the 250cc 2T buying mode. The Graham Jarvis replica-basically.

Ive owned both 300 and 250 Katos, I prefer the 250, for me it's less fatiguing and easier to manage. Tunability is wide ranging and can be set from mild to wild.

I would consider GAS-GAS 250 as well, but the KTM/Husberg is still the top of the heap. (You guys all know I'm a Husky fan but the only Husky 2T I would currently invest in is the modern 125/144)

Don't bother with a 250, whatever you get. The 300 is the be-all end-all for trail power.

If you want a NEW light weight single track trail machine you should consider the KTM 150 XC. Ask Brad. He made his into a 200 and it rips and weighs around 200#. You don't need a 250 or 300 for trail work unless you plan to ride desert a lot.

I will be purchasing a new two stroke here pretty quick. I want to know what's out there and what the opinions are on each from first hand knowledge. 250 to 300 range is the size I will be getting. I bleed orange but I want opinions on all that have been ridden. Also 250 over 300 and why or vice versa. I know everybody has their brand but I am completely open minded on this and want the true seat of the pants opinions. This will be an offroad bike as I have the track work covered

You can borrow/ride my 300 anytime......

You don't need a 250 or 300 for trail work unless you plan to ride desert a lot.

I guess it depends on what you like the bike to do, and where it performs best in the powerband. I don't like to rev my bike at all. I just like to plonk along at low RPMs, and be able to give the bike throttle and have the front end come up right off the bottom. I have ridden the little bikes (EXC200, 150, WRE144) and I personally don't care for the revvy engines on them. My 300 handles like a 125 anyway (it practically steers itself), and I have never noticed the weight of it in the tight trails. I have only noticed how forgiving and tractable it is when I get into trouble on some steep uphill section, or how great it is in my most unfavorite terrain, sand. I have had 250s before, but didn't think that there was any reason to have a 250 over a 200 or 220....but a 300 is so much fun. My first enduro bike was a 360 Bultaco Frontera, and it was sooooo much fun. I guess my WR300 reminds me a lot of that old 360. Only in the gnarliest stuff would I want a smaller machine, and then I'd much rather be riding a trials bike than a smaller displacement cross country bike.

Don't leave out Gas Gas or Beta. If money is no object (hell you're talking about buying a KTM anyway) a TM EN250 or 300 would be very hard to beat.

If I was in the market for a 2 stroke bike I'd buy a TM.

http://www.tmmotorcyclesusa.com/

1 question, 100 different answers.

Guest Crusty

If you want a NEW light weight single track trail machine you should consider the KTM 150 XC. Ask Brad. He made his into a 200 and it rips and weighs around 200#. You don't need a 250 or 300 for trail work unless you plan to ride desert a lot.

Watching his video it looked and sounded like he was on a RM80

I would go with a 250 or 300

For the desert I ride a 450X, CR 500 orXR 680L

Watching his video it looked and sounded like he was on a RM80

I would go with a 250 or 300

For the desert I ride a 450X, CR 500 orXR 680L

post a link to the video and we will do a reality check on % of time actually spent on the pipe.

Get whatever size bike makes you happy. I looked at all the different 2Ts when buying and at least on paper ktm and yamaha had lighter bikes than gasgas and husky. You would probably have an easier time reselling one of those as well.

Single piston shocks on linkage bikes are nice for home servicing over PDS.

happy hunting!

post a link to the video and we will do a reality check on % of time actually spent on the pipe.

Get whatever size bike makes you happy. I looked at all the different 2Ts when buying and at least on paper ktm and yamaha had lighter bikes than gasgas and husky. You would probably have an easier time reselling one of those as well.

Single piston shocks on linkage bikes are nice for home servicing over PDS.

happy hunting!

Brad why the 150 ? I rode the 150 sx on the track and it was a blast on the pipe but not much anywhere else it seemed. Being about 175 pounds in gear am I to big for this as a trail bike ?

Brad why the 150 ? I rode the 150 sx on the track and it was a blast on the pipe but not much anywhere else it seemed. Being about 175 pounds in gear am I to big for this as a trail bike ?

150xc has a smaller carb than the 150sx and more bottom end but ya its still lacking in the torque department. mine was a used demo bike, the price was low and i did the work myself to convert to a 200 motor which is now my ultimate dream bike. the 200 engine is a bored and stroked 150, it is not that hard to change over. if they made a 200xc i would have bought it. the closed cartridge forks, linkage shock, billet clamps, no estart/battery, no lights, is my preference over the xcw trim. and 150/200 chassis is smaller and the engine is lighter than the 250/300 for an overall easier bike to ride for me personally.

at 200lbs in gear i didn't have much trouble riding 5MOH or the hard stuff at corral on the 150 but ya the extra bottom end of a 200 is much nicer. it can be geared quite a bit taller now too, still trying to get the right gearing. I would ride a 300 if they weighed the same as a 200 and didn't vibrate so much. fatigue and arm cramps were an issue for me on the 300. Haven't been back to the doctor about my carpel tunnel since getting rid of the 300. That is not a joke.

PS, all the enduro 2Ts are awesome. Can't really go wrong with any brand. I've tried the husky 300 (mimis) it rips big time and turns great, stock suspension was really good. I rode a gasgas 300 too and it also made huge power and turned nice didn't get a chance to flog it too hard and test suspension. TMs are pretty scarce around here but they look really great and I've read great things about them too. KTM makes great bikes, you are familiar..., Beta is now making 2Ts, they looks nice. Not sure if yamaha comes in WR flavor but that is a nice bike, YZ250 is the lightest 250cc 2T available, maybe not the best offroad bike. Pick your poison.

Happy hunting!

Yup looked over a few specs today and TM for sure.

http://www.tmracing.it/public/img/my13/tmracing-2013.pdf

The small market for support scares me but it is a beauty of a bike

Motoman Distributing sells to the competitive racer. They'll have everything you need delivered to wherever you need it as fast as you want it there. They're located in Upland so even ground shipping to San Diego would be overnight. I was pretty serious about buying an EN450 and have researched them fully. You won't be losing anything by entering the exotic market.

Motoman Distributing sells to the competitive racer. They'll have everything you need delivered to wherever you need it as fast as you want it there. They're located in Upland so even ground shipping to San Diego would be overnight. I was pretty serious about buying an EN450 and have researched them fully. You won't be losing anything by entering the exotic market.

I just spoke with and raced with Pete V (Motoman Dist) The TM importer a couple weeks ago. I've know Pete since about 2000. My freind and former Italian ISDE Trophy team member was the TM factory racer here in the US, riding the TM 125E.

The bikes are Italian style and works of mechanical art, but they are really are well supported now and if you are TM you are in very exclusive "club" kinda like a automatic factory rider.

The 2 stroke engines are much based upon Honda CR motors and used to be parts compatable with CR Honda motor parts (I dont know if they still are).

The 4 stroke machines are all in house TM but not anything odd, just their own design DOHC 4 stroke singles.

Money no object for a second bike I would be on a TM250EN 2 stroke.

Oh yeah racing with us at the JCR Christmas GP Pete was on the beautiful new 2013 450EN 4 stroke we diced for a bit and it was cool having the Italian vs Italian (bikes and riders)battle going, that TM450 is a beast and if for no other reason I needed to speed up to avoid his roost from that thing. If you are really into stepping into the Ferrari world of offroad bikes I will gladly put you in direct touch with Pete. TM Orgoglio Italiano (TM Italian Pride).

Oh yea more Rob TM trivia TM= Thomas e Mirko sons name initials of the company founders.

I also know one of the first TM enduro world champions from the 125 class in 1987, he has ridden with us at corral canyon many times, says it is the same as baja de Espana.

Another MX racer friend of mine was a sponsored district champion on his TM125 when they were day-glo pink, I always thought that took balls to make your moto line all day-glo pink.

sorry if this turned into a TM fest, this will be the last of it.

I disagree with PulpMX I love the Pink TMs!! Note the engine is very CR250 Honda looking (but in sand cast form)

http://www.pulpmx.com/stories/look-back-old-moto-mags/gps-classic-steel/gp%E2%80%99s-classic-steel-1995-tm-250-cross

Dont get stuck on the 300cc thing that everyone is so into, Brad went to the 200 for the easy no fatigue ridng of the smaller bike. Here is a viddy from the 2010 Idaho city ISDE qualifier my friend Jake on his CR125 Husky, me at 215lbs would rather be on a 250 or even Jakes 125 on the single track and especially on that side hill trail, light weight 30hp power is alot more managable and less tiring than heavier and 55hp of a 300 that could pitch you right down the side of that hill. Anyway lots of food for thought. (plus a most excellent video)

http://www.pbj.mx/Motorcycles/2011-OFF-ROAD-RIDES/11-06-04-05-IDAHO-CITY-ISDE/17425897_dg66KX#!i=1327990841&k=6mPxQ2Z

I'm leaning heavily towards the 150 xc made into a 200 like Brad did. I rode a 150 xc today and it was pure fun. Nothing technical at all just blasting around out by the old shooting range in Ramona. I think that will be my build. Wish Ktm made a 200 xc as i want the suspension offered on the xc not the w

Hobbie I still have this one waiting for you. If you don't get it I'll put it on here sometime next month.

Covered in Bikes

post-13540-005315800 1356211027_thumb.jp

Hobbie I still have this one waiting for you. If you don't get it I'll put it on here sometime next month.

Covered in Bikes

Oh Im getting it don't worry, you tell me when and I'll come get it pronto.