I know Riggah is using the 908RR on the rear of his- it's a $200 tire.

Anyone else using a knobby they like for this big bike and our conditions?

Yes, I know I can go ove to ADVRider and be buried in "it's great/it sucks" for hours.

Anyone usning MT21s?

Well on the 950 adventure I tried the MEFO, too soft didn't last. Felt greasy on pavement.

606's were on it when I got it and they lasted about 2k. I do like this tire

TKC felt the best on dirt, sand and pavement but only lasted about 2k. The front is still going.

Scorpions are great if you are only gonna ride some dirt and no sand. I wish I could afford a extra set of wheels and have scorpions on one set and TKC's on the other

I just spooned a used 908RR on the back. Just trying to use it up. I know they wear better than the rest, but they are hard and offer little traction. Seems ok in the sand. Felt like it slipped a little in the corners on pavement. I plan on leaving it on until I can buy another TKC. :ph34r:

I think we are $tuck with the 908rr unless you do a bunch of slab and the k60 looks good - maybe during the summer when the sand is too hot to ride much.

I think we are $tuck with the 908rr unless you do a bunch of slab and the k60 looks good - maybe during the summer when the sand is too hot to ride much.

Looking at the Scorpion Rally. Might be a cheaper alternative.

Kenda Big Blocks? - SteelRain swears by them

Well, that settles it.

Scorpion Rallys or Dunlops for me.

My buddy Matt Rider914 uses the Dunlops on the rear- He has about 60K ++ on his bike almost all off road.

I use a 606 in the front of mine when I know I will be riding a lot of dirt - like the TAT or the CDT

Well, that settles it.

Scorpion Rallys or Dunlops for me.

Ouch!

Paul, I use to use the Mt21 and loved it. Granted the 650l is not as big as bike as your 990, but my weight makes up the difference. I would go back to them but enjoy the MOTOZ now.

1352869261[/url]' post='137548']

I hear they wear like a cheap rubber on a mechanical bull.

No affiliation

No affiliation

No affiliation to a cheap rubber or a mechanical bull?

I thought you guys might find this bike interesting - its a 990R that was going to be raced solo on this year's Baja 1000 (1200) miles before the racer injured himself last week while prerunning. I don't know what tire this is but he said its a Dunlop and here is a picture of it. Pretty epic!

p5pb8828366.jpg

That's the big-dollah Dunlop rear and what looks like a Pirelli Scorpion front.

I know Riggah is using the 908RR on the rear of his big beautiful KTM 990R motorcycle

Stock Scorpions I thought were great tires, got lots of mileage and felt great on pavement, and well not so great off road...

2nd set was the MEFO superexplorer tires - big difference, supposed to be big mileage tires (my lack of initial throttle control) seemed to give me only 2K out of them

3rd set 908RR biggest difference I have felt - still dealing with throttle control issues got about 2K out of those as well - wore through 90% of the tire on Utah trip------and yes slippery on pavement

I have successfully been going to TCA /Throttle Control Anonymous lately, and feel another set of Dunlop's are on the horizon for me

I have a brand new set of MEFOs in the garage if you are interested let me know - we could work something out

I wish I could afford a extra set of wheels and have scorpions on one set and TKC's on the other

+1

I love the stock scorps on the street (you saw that, Dan) but it's clear I'm not man enough to ride them off-road. Yikes.

That typed, they already have about 2500 miles on them- the front looks great, the back, not as much. Still have a few hundred on them easily.

Mefos, huh?

Were you happy with them off-road, Dan?

I was......... in hind sight, it was a nice progression to the Dunlop's

enough to stock a second set, but having the rear 908 that curtis lugged around Utah for me is calling my name.........riggaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

TKC 80's are what I've been using for years now, it's about a 70/30 dirt/street tire. It's the only tire I'll run on the back if I'm doing a lot of dirt....the Pirelli Skorpion works well too, it's about 70/30 street/dirt, and I've used it all thru Anza Borrego with no problems, just doesn't work as good as the TKC 80.

The TKC 80 gives you the best all around dirt & street performance, and they stick really well on the street...trust me, I ride the 950 like a sportbike with the TKC's on and all my friends do also. You just have to back off a little on the street.

I'll get about 2400 miles out of a TKC 80 rear, depending on how much rough terrain I do. I've gotten this kind of mileage on many trips to the Sierra, with lots of pavement and rough trails mixed on the trip.

The TKC 80 front lasts quite awhile, about double or more what the rear lasts.

I don't sacrifice performance for mileage. I think getting over 2000 miles out of a rear, when you're doing a lot of rough dirt and street miles is good enough for me.

I was......... in hind sight, it was a nice progression to the Dunlop's

enough to stock a second set, but having the rear 908 that curtis lugged around Utah for me is calling my name.........riggaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Dan, check your PM's - Hijack over....

Paul, I think you like riding the twisties, and if you do that on your 990, then you won't like the 908's on the street.

The TKC is going to perform much better on the street, and also very well in the dirt.

"I have successfully been going to TCA /Throttle Control Anonymous lately" RiggerD

You may have attended, but did you stay awake??

laugh.gifcowboy.gif

Anyone who has followed you, knows about your TC issues.

Let me get this straight. You gents bought the Big K so you could save money on tires??

That's Funny

Paul, I think you like riding the twisties,

I do. I have street lust. Ask Riggah.

But I shouldn't.

So I need a dirt-oriented tire, and I need the help on dirt more than the street.

But the TKC might be just the ticket.

I buy the TKC's locally...I'll pay up to $20 more than the online price to support a local shop....many times, some shops come within $5 or $10 of the online price....that's worth it to me to support a local shop. I usually deal with the shops where I have established a relationship over the years.

As would I .....can you clue us in on who locally will get that close?