Just picked up an AFX FX-39 in Pearl White Multi and needed to test it out.

post-14080-062119800 1341860057_thumb.jp

I took a street bike ride this morning (~130 miles) and rode at hwy speeds (and beyond :coolio: ) to see how the new helmet held up at faster DS speeds. These are my impressions: The helmet is very comfortable and the quick-release chin strap is easy to use. The helmet does produce a lot of wind noise at hwy speeds, but is not a problem at lower speeds (up to about 45 mph). This, also, was behind a short windscreen on my street bike. At higher speeds the helmet will jerk to the side when you turn your head but was not too strong to overcome, even at 104 mph :unsure: .

The visor stays in place at any ratchet position, but wind hit my eyes in any but the closed position. The visor provided shade on my face; there was no glare. The visor, when lifted, will not go up out of the field of view. To me this is an annoyance only and not a problem. Something I'll get used to. The vents were easy to locate/adjust with gloved hands and provided good air flow. Riding temps ranged from 76 degrees to 90 degrees during the ride and the helmet stayed as comfortable as my Shoei street helmet.

Track map:

post-14080-094692000 1341860079_thumb.jp

Track profile:

post-14080-010573700 1341860087_thumb.jp

Bulletin board along the road (near Vail Lake): :heh:

post-14080-057817100 1341860100_thumb.jp

~tsr~

Nice report. I was curious how the AFX might stack up against my Shoei Hornet. Either way, it's nice to see so many companies coming out with DS helmets... used to just be Arai and Shoei... now there are many less expensive alternatives.

The 39 is a big jump in comfort from the 37. I like the ratcheting chin strap, too.

Nice report, a few months ago I bought the cheap knock off version from Joe Rocket and its alright feeling for 99 dollars it is DOT approved the visor does its job and the shield does the same, the only thing is the fit they fit big. I wear a medium in FOX and with this Im sitting with a small. Just my 2 cents worth its an option out there for people that dont want to spend the big bucks on a DS Helmet..

Just picked up an AFX FX-39 in Pearl White Multi and needed to test it out.

post-14080-062119800 1341860057_thumb.jp

Nice review. Does anyone know who sells these locally??

Thank you.

I added the Sun Shield to mine and it worked out well. Nice to have the option without going on/off with sunglasses. Turn a corner, sun glare, flip it down. Another corner, up for good vision.

I ordered an AFX-39 for $99 shipped off Ebay. I read a lot of reviews saying it runs a bit larger than most helmets, and determined that I would need a medium AFX. I usually wear a large helmet.

I patiently waited for it to arrive, and when it showed up I tried it on. It fit ok, just seemed a bit short top to bottom (my Jay Leno chin sticks out the bottom) and short front to back (my giant beak hits the breath guard). My crazy neighbor tried it on and it fit him better so he bought it from me.

I am going to try the Fly Trekker, it is supposed to fit a bit closer to standard sizing.

I wear a large Shoei and large Scorpion so I ordered the AFX-39 in large. Fits just fine.

I wear a large Shoei and large Scorpion so I ordered the AFX-39 in large. Fits just fine.

Maybe I can try yours on. I don't want to order the large AFX if it's going to be too big, I only have one crazy neighbor.

I am going to try the Fly Trekker, it is supposed to fit a bit closer to standard sizing.

Cycle Parts West on El Cajon Blvd carries (well last time I went in there) the Fly Trekker. I kind of preferred the AFX to the Trekker but they are quite close and it comes down to preference.

Also, ZRacing, I asked the same question about local shops carry the AFX-39 in this thread and it seems no shops carry them which is a big shame. I hope some shop has stepped up and started offering them since I posted that back in May. Good luck in your search and post back your findings.

Also, ZRacing, I asked the same question about local shops carry the AFX-39 in this thread and it seems no shops carry them which is a big shame. I hope some shop has stepped up and started offering them since I posted that back in May. Good luck in your search and post back your findings.

To bad I never saw that thread. BikeBandit (AKA North County House of Motorcycles) carries them.

I liked the AFX, if only it had fit right. I guess I'll try Trophy's on and see if I can take another stab at it. $100 shipped is a good deal I think, and I liked the bright yellow.

I ended up picking up a Fly Trekker from Veys in lemon grove. It's not for me so I wont be able to provide any sizing feedback. It seems like a great deal if you can find one that fits correctly. It looks like this:

photo3ar.jpg