TrophyHunter

Lane splitting retaliation

Early in the vid, you can see the driver shut down the lane on the bike. Yeah, he shouldn't have kicked the car, but

I agree. And that's just another reason not kick the car. You never know what kind of nut is loose behind the wheel. Two people just let their tempers get the best of them. Normally I would say that the biker was on the losing end, but the woman was such an ass, that she caused damage to her own vehicle and that of a innocent bystander car. Not sure how insurance works in other countries, but I would like to see the insurance ruling on that incident. :rolleyes:

While I think the driver was way out of line, I don't think any of this would have gone down if the rider hadn't kicked the car. What the driver did by closing the lane down wasn't illegal (I don't think, but smarter people please correct me), and if the rider just stopped and eventually went on without any provocation, I think both would have been better off.

From a sequence of events perspective, I believe the kick is what "kicked" all of this off. The triggering event. Like Mimi said, they both let their tempers get the best of them. Sometimes we riders have to rise above, be the bigger person, etc, and avoid situations.

A couple of interpretations. The car made an "unsafe movement" per the vehicle code (subjective but provable in this case, probably). The driver intentionally shut the lane down on an approaching motorcycle. The danger and possiblity for severe injuries to the rider in doing so could be Assault with a deadly weapon (Section 245 of the Penal Code). It was an intentional act on her part with possible severe bodily injury outcome - it fits. I've seen more than one person prosecuted for using their vehicle as a weapon and this is a good example. Since she didn't actually hit him, it probably wouldn't be prosecuted as that in SD County.

I agree with Jim & Mimi. As frustrating as it is - don't take it to the next level by kicking the car. Take a deep breath and ride on or call the police.

Is itthe possible that the driver was making a lane change and did not see the bike?

Could have been avoided with a cooler head.

I would guess that ALL of us that have spent any time commuting have seen WORSE behavior from cages, and more potentially dangerous situations... (well... until she punted him across 3 lanes of traffic and in to a parked car)

but the motorcyclist totally overreacted (and the driver was an idiot too)

In the video I watched, the intial move didn't seem bad enough to warrant kicking a car, nut THEN.... WOW is right

decaf for everybody!

That is possible, there was enough room for her to drive through with him on the hood.

It also looked like she backed up and hit him again as he was walking up to her.

Is itthe possible that the driver was making a lane change and did not see the bike?

Could have been avoided with a cooler head.

When you look for trouble, there is always trouble to be found. I think they were both looking for some. I had a lady come after me while stopped at a red light one time. As I watched her approach in my mirror screaming and yelling, I decided it was best to just leave rather than make a stand against somebody that was super pissed off at me for god knows what. Different situation, but I think just leaving would have been a better move on his part. Oh ya, and try some decaf next time. lol

If by some rare chance you do have to kick a car, atleast do it right like Chuck!

Clearly these Brazilians do not know Chuck Norris!

Love the audio lol never heard and auto windshield break sound like that but then again i've never heard Chuck Norris kick one in either !

Up to the point where the rider kicked the car, that was like my commute home yesterday. Had three half-wits try to squeeze me from lane splitting. I generally get one a week, and it's usually just someone not paying attention. THREE yesterday and at least two were totally intentional. Days like yesterday, I wish I was a motor cop. (Then again, they wouldn't have done it to an officer.)

Up to the point where the rider kicked the car, that was like my commute home yesterday. Had three half-wits try to squeeze me from lane splitting. I generally get one a week, and it's usually just someone not paying attention. THREE yesterday and at least two were totally intentional. Days like yesterday, I wish I was a motor cop. (Then again, they wouldn't have done it to an officer.)

I usually have the really big jacked up trucks slide over and try to block.

I usually have the really big jacked up trucks slide over and try to block.

Tell me about it...All the negativity aside this is exactly what I want to do when things like these happen.

Back in he day (do I sound as old as I am) the Harley guys would always talk about carrying a length of chain, if someone did this to them they would swing it. I have no idea if any if their stories were true, but they were always entertaining. Me I don't have to commute on my bike so I'm never really in much of a hurry and really try to avoid the less fortunate in the cages.

CiD

When you look for trouble, there is always trouble to be found. I think they were both looking for some. I had a lady come after me while stopped at a red light one time. As I watched her approach in my mirror screaming and yelling, I decided it was best to just leave rather than make a stand against somebody that was super pissed off at me for god knows what. Different situation, but I think just leaving would have been a better move on his part. Oh ya, and try some decaf next time. lol

If by some rare chance you do have to kick a car, atleast do it right like Chuck!

I agree with you, it is just not worth the trouble to make a stand when they are pissed off, a car is a big weapon when you are ridding a motorcycle. I do commute on my motorcycle to work half the year and one time traffic was backed up on Bear Valley in Escondido and I was going slow up the middle between cars when a car ahead shut the middle down by pulling right on the white line. I just laughed and went around the other side and waved. It is a fact some people out on the road do not like Motorcyclist.

By the looks of the video he went to far by a little kick. I would never do that in CA because today people are nuts and you never know what they will do or even if they have a gun in the car.

I had someone do that to me as I was traveling down the clogged freeway. Unfortunately his mirror got snapped off and he received a one finger salute as I rode away. Not recommended but was unavoidable, ha ha.

Perhaps a "GoPro" video thread from those who commute and see this stuff...

A disturbing video with lots of opinions regarding right or wrong. What we don't see is what has happened in the last few miles preceding this stoplight altercation. Was she cutting him off or blocking him repeatedly. I never watch the news because they so kindly leave out parts that build up to the dramatic snippits that they show us.

Good point Pasta. The person in the car filming didn't just randomly decide to start filming. I'm guessing there was some activity prior.

Perhaps a "GoPro" video thread from those who commute and see this stuff...

I should do that. I'll try and do it tomorrow.

~30 years ago I was riding my street bike and the guy in front of me evidently thought I was riding too close (I probably was).....he keep swerving into the shoulder spraying rocks at me.....so I rode up next to him and placed a nice foot print/dent on his door.......I was dumb ass college kid.....

Fast forward about ~15 years.......I wacked a guys rear view mirror pretty good while riding my sport bike.......it was a tight squeeze between car mirrors and I was impatient (and just a little less dumb than years earlier :rolleyes: ).....I don't remember just how damaged the mirror was (but I definitely heard something snap)......I do remember that I had to make a quick judgment as to whether to disappear (easily) or pull over......had this happened years earlier I'm sure I would've split (the mentality would've been, "screw the cager....that dumbass should've given me more room!")......I pulled over since it was my screw up and I figured it was the right thing to do from a karma perspective......the guy was shocked that I actually pulled over......I offered him $100 which he accepted and we parted ways......he said he would've moved over if I had slowed down.....it was a learning experience for both of us......hopefully my actions that day helped change his perspective and the perspective of a few other folks who saw me hit his mirror and pull over when I could've easily disappeared up stream.......if I hadn't pulled over a stereotype would've been perpetuated in his mind and he might've taken it out on the guy.......who knows.....