Strega

Need a Plumber tomorrow AM - 3/1/2012

"sending a crew out to do some more drying before they start tearing things out. =\ "

Been there, Not fun. Excuse for new carpets / flooring. We now have a floor drain in the laundry room and steel braid hoses.

ohmy.gifsad.gifcrying_anim02.gif

They call me Dexter:

P3010599.jpg

You and Paul doing tea time? .....

I thought the same thing....:heh: :heh:

One of the problems with tankless water heaters, if you care about emergency situations, is that if there is a gas and water outage (which to me is very possible in CA with earthquakes and such), you don't have any standby water in a tankless water heater.

At least with a regular 40 or 50 gallon water heater, you have that much water left in your tank if there is a water/gas outage.

Otherwise, putting those situations aside, the tankless ones are pretty good.

BTW, Plumbing and HVAC design is my area of expertise.

One of the problems with tankless water heaters, if you care about emergency situations, is that if there is a gas and water outage (which to me is very possible in CA with earthquakes and such), you don't have any standby water in a tankless water heater.

At least with a regular 40 or 50 gallon water heater, you have that much water left in your tank if there is a water/gas outage.

Otherwise, putting those situations aside, the tankless ones are pretty good.

BTW, Plumbing and HVAC design is my area of expertise.

Thats what the swimming pool is for :coolio:

P3010608.jpg

What you got growing in their ? :cool04:

Step up and get a tankless heater.

Love my tankless, only use gas/electric when you use water.

Is there some kind of scam associated with this thread?

I started getting pop up adds for plumbers when I clicked on it.

As a "real plumber" - not a tech working on commission - and someone with commercial spec and design build experience, here's my take on Tankless:

Great product, but with some limitations. How many fixtures? How far from the heater? I've designed systems with storage tanks and circ pumps for larger homes, but they were incredibly expensive.

Gas pipe sizing is dependent on how far the unit is from the meter. Your 40 gallon heater has less than a 40K btu/hr demand. The tankless is "typically" going to require up to 180K - larger units will require more. Unless you have a pool heater, that's more than the rest of your home combined. The chances of the unit working correctly without upgrading the gas supply are slim and none.

The REQUIRED hi temp stainless steel venting is expensive and larger than conventional venting. If you're in a garage with an exposed crawl space or with easy access to the roof, it's not a huge deal. If you're going through a living space to get to the roof, it may be a VERY big deal.

One option is to put it on an outside wall, near the gas meter. This can help offset some of the issues, but then you're rerouting your water piping. maybe a big deal, maybe not.

I know reps from 2 of the major manufacturers. Both still have conventional water heaters in their homes.

The chances of the unit working correctly without upgrading the the gas supply is slim and none.

The REQUIRED hi temp stainless steel venting is expensive and larger than conventional venting.

Yes- I had the benefit of a 1" gas line at the existing heater and a pretty easy shot directly through the ceiling and roof for the vent. If I didn't have the 1" line already in place, it would not have made sense to go tankless.

Glad, however, I did.

Guest Crusty

This is a good informative thread and I have to add something positive to it.

The waves were small and the tide was high, so a came home to wash my bike.

My friend Terri rode up on his bicycle, We talked about the Desert Dash, Pala raceway

and the ride I did at Corral Canyon, the Saturday before the dash.

Then I changed the subject to tankless water heaters, he had asked me about them a couple weeks back.

At his house, he had 2 heaters in his garage, 50 gallons each, one for each floor.

Now he has 1 tankless water heater, and lots more space in his garage.

He is not worried about water storage, he has a pool.

How much did it cost. $5000.00blink.gif

Then he asked.

Since you are installing a sub panel

and new gas line to my garage of my beach house,

can you also install a tankless water heater.

SHURE, heh.gifheh.gif

when are we riding next.coolio.gif